Mythruna
April 27, 2024, 10:14:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Combat  (Read 12584 times)
Stickman Sham

"I did it! I took the boots!"

View Profile
« on: November 21, 2013, 02:17:48 PM »

Seeing as how the future of Mythruna will be similar to Skyrim, I wanted to state my disposition on Skyrim's combat system and what I dont want Mythruna to develop into regarding combat.
In Skyrim, I occasionally found myself fighting a high level enemy and having to resort to frequently open my items and "clutch" on potions depending on how much time I have in milliseconds to switch menus. Getting better stuff in the game is how I would get past this, but the system always seemed broken due to its simple nature. On the contrary, I fondly recall the Kingdom Hearts system whereas you couldn't access the pause menu during combat and had to use the command deck/shortcuts without stopping or slowing down the battle.

I think Mythruna's combat should have some combat mechanic that makes sword fighting not like Skyrim where the player takes loose swings at sword sponges; one thing that always aggrivated me is that I could never just stab enemies or know when/how cinematic finishers would occur.
As for inbattle item usage, I think having a keyboard item mapping system, example, where players could press a key and use a health potion and not stop/slow the flow of Mythruna, at least when combat systems are taken into further priority and not right away.

“It’s like, ‘hell yeah, I’m all stoked for this lasagna,’ and then you nuke it and the cheese gets all scabby on top and it’s like eating a scab, you know?” - Jesse Pinkman
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 03:35:10 PM »

I have trouble talking about combat because the way I want to do it would be super cool... but it may turn out to be impossible.  And if I talk about it too much, a) it's less exciting to actually develop it, and b) if it turns out to be impossible then you will all show up at my house and burn it down.  However, I will say that a stab is different than a slash and some weapons will be completely ineffective slashing weapons... some will be completely ineffective stabbing weapons.  Though you will not be prevented from doing it.

Regarding items, in combat, by default you will only have what you are holding in your hands.  If you acquire things like belts and bandoliers then you will have access to quick slots.  The things that you put in here will be accessible by number key or ctrl + number key.  Or something to that effect.

Weapons will work similarly.  If you have a sheath for your sword then you can put it away or take it out with a quick-slot button. (Like, 1 for left sheath, ctrl + 1 for right sheath... for the right hand and left hand respectively.)  Otherwise to take your weapon out, you'd have to open up your pack.

I also have some notes about an in between mode where it's almost like having your pack open but only your quick slots are available on the edges of the screen.  The mouse cursor will be visible but you can still perform combat actions on the screen.  I envision this as the kind of thing an alchemist might do... find a relatively safe spot, pull out his "wares" to effectively deliver them to different parts of the battle.  So you won't be walking much but can still look around and throw bottles where needed.  Or the equivalent of the archer who plants a bunch of arrows in the ground in front of him and in return gains a little more speed at the draw and a little more accuracy in the release... at the expense of being more exposed to melee combat.

I have to see if what works when the actual combat is implemented, though.
ebag51
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 05:24:41 PM »

I have trouble talking about combat because the way I want to do it would be super cool... but it may turn out to be impossible.  And if I talk about it too much, a) it's less exciting to actually develop it, and b) if it turns out to be impossible then you will all show up at my house and burn it down.  However, I will say that a stab is different than a slash and some weapons will be completely ineffective slashing weapons... some will be completely ineffective stabbing weapons.  Though you will not be prevented from doing it.

Regarding items, in combat, by default you will only have what you are holding in your hands.  If you acquire things like belts and bandoliers then you will have access to quick slots.  The things that you put in here will be accessible by number key or ctrl + number key.  Or something to that effect.

Weapons will work similarly.  If you have a sheath for your sword then you can put it away or take it out with a quick-slot button. (Like, 1 for left sheath, ctrl + 1 for right sheath... for the right hand and left hand respectively.)  Otherwise to take your weapon out, you'd have to open up your pack.

I also have some notes about an in between mode where it's almost like having your pack open but only your quick slots are available on the edges of the screen.  The mouse cursor will be visible but you can still perform combat actions on the screen.  I envision this as the kind of thing an alchemist might do... find a relatively safe spot, pull out his "wares" to effectively deliver them to different parts of the battle.  So you won't be walking much but can still look around and throw bottles where needed.  Or the equivalent of the archer who plants a bunch of arrows in the ground in front of him and in return gains a little more speed at the draw and a little more accuracy in the release... at the expense of being more exposed to melee combat.

I have to see if what works when the actual combat is implemented, though.
Cool new battle idea Paul i may try it in the game especially if i can use it to help my stealthy assassination combat  Tongue

Stickman Sham

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 06:28:07 AM »

The sheath controls remind me fondly of Jedi Knight Jedi Academy/ Outcast or Dark forces 2

“It’s like, ‘hell yeah, I’m all stoked for this lasagna,’ and then you nuke it and the cheese gets all scabby on top and it’s like eating a scab, you know?” - Jesse Pinkman
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2013, 09:48:38 AM »

The sheath controls remind me fondly of Jedi Knight Jedi Academy/ Outcast or Dark forces 2

Never played Academy but I had the others... I played that series since DF1.  Dark troopers still give me nightmares. Smiley

Neverwinter Nights also had something similar.  Only in that case, you always had the mouse and quick bar and ctrl or shift or whatever would open an alternate quick bar.  Keeping a weapon in the quickbar meant you could equip it easily.

The hidden message here is that if you walk around with your weapons out, NPCs (and probably other players) are going to generally think you're ready for a fight.
BenKenobiWan
Friendly Moderator
Donators

Jesus loves you!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2013, 08:55:02 AM »

I really loved the Jedi Knight engine for a game. I wish they would upgrade it a little bit (not too much, just some slight optimizations) and tell more Star Wars stories on it.
Stickman Sham

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2013, 02:20:08 AM »

Jedi Knight engine = Quake engine, Star Trek Elite Forces 1 = same ol' quake 3, Star Trek Elite Force 2 = modified quake 3 engine.

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2013, 03:44:03 AM »

Jedi Knight engine = Quake engine, Star Trek Elite Forces 1 = same ol' quake 3, Star Trek Elite Force 2 = modified quake 3 engine.

...and now I'm kind of mad that I didn't know there was an Elite Force 2.  Angry  I'd have played the heck out of it.
Rothrod

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2013, 12:37:43 PM »

I think that a combat system like Mount and Blade would be the best for a game like this...it will give to Mythruna somethink similar to perfection *.*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_FixQPzd94

All attack are directionable, and also blocking is directional with weapon and shields. Like real combat :Q___
Moonkey

This is probably a picture.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2013, 12:48:29 PM »

I think that a combat system like Mount and Blade would be the best for a game like this...it will give to Mythruna somethink similar to perfection *.*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_FixQPzd94

All attack are directionable, and also blocking is directional with weapon and shields. Like real combat :Q___
I always loved Mount & Blade arena fighting.

Mythruna: Don't you dare read any posts I made before 2014.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2013, 12:52:11 PM »

What is the control system like in Mount and Blade?
Rothrod

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2013, 01:35:24 PM »

I linked a video that explains a bit how it works...with your mouse, with left click,(but there are settable controls)you give a direction to you hit...with right click you enter in parry mode, so you have to direct your block against enemy's hits. Also shield are directionable, and they blocks all attack in a 90 degrees angle...every weapon have his combat style and the right tecnique to maximize their damage. Also momentum affect damage, so if you are running or rotating at high speed, you'll inflict more damage. Search some videos on youtube, some battles are amazing!
ebag51
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2013, 03:46:48 PM »

I linked a video that explains a bit how it works...with your mouse, with left click,(but there are settable controls)you give a direction to you hit...with right click you enter in parry mode, so you have to direct your block against enemy's hits. Also shield are directionable, and they blocks all attack in a 90 degrees angle...every weapon have his combat style and the right tecnique to maximize their damage. Also momentum affect damage, so if you are running or rotating at high speed, you'll inflict more damage. Search some videos on youtube, some battles are amazing!
well if you do implement that system i hope it still lets me kill like a stealthy reptilian assassin  Tongue

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2013, 04:18:52 PM »

I already have something in mind, I was just curious if it was similar at all.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: