Mythruna
March 29, 2024, 02:30:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Another book picture...  (Read 6157 times)
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« on: January 28, 2014, 01:09:23 AM »

I finally got some time to (nearly) finish the basic Book-based UI component and associated data structures.  It has book marks, next/previous page buttons, etc..

So, here is a screen shot:

Not as exciting as a video but I didn't really want to shoot another one until I have a real UI made with it.

Clicking the next/previous buttons work as expected.  If there is no next page then there is no next page button and so on.  The bookmarks move right to left or left to right as needed (ie: as you click them).  "Home" and "End" are not built ins they are just additional test book marks that I added to this book.

Pages and bookmarks can be added dynamically as needed.  So doing something on one page (say selecting that you want to create a character) could add additional pages or bookmarks to the book.  It could even swap out all of the current pages for new ones (as will likely happen during character creation).

So now I can start implementing the real server connection UI.  At least the basic one.

I'm happy to have this done now... working on it has been like pulling teeth.  Both because life keeps getting in the way and because it's not very exciting to work on most of the time.
Sempor

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 09:01:28 AM »

Looks great! Keep up the good work!
Teknonick

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 05:52:08 PM »

Wow. Amaaaziiing!!! I would love to see once you finish a 'page' when you're creating your character (AKA, hit the FINISH button or something), you should rip the page out and set it aside. xD. Then once you finish all those 'pages' you scoop them up and take one last look before they swirl together and you get your character!

I'm sorry Paul. At this rate your'll never get your game done if we keep throwing ideas at you like this xD

Now 2 months and probably twenty four days? Or was it one month?...?
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 07:34:06 PM »

Well, the pages are supposed to stay in the book.  There is one book per world and it contains the world info and the characters you've played in that world.

So if you open a book for a particular world (or connect to a server) the first page has the world/server info and a list of characters.  Maybe with some search functions if you have a lot of characters.  I think I will probably also preload the last three or five characters viewed into appendix pages in the book with their own bookmarks so that you could quickly page between them.  In other words, when you open the book after having played before then your character summary pages are already there up to a limit.  You can either "next", "next", "next" through them or just click the bookmarks for them.

Creating a character essentially (temporarily) clears the book so that you can only access the pages needed to create that character.  This keeps me out of a lot of 'what if the player selects another character while they are editing this character' issues... and simplifies what may already be a complicated UI by limiting it to just its function.  Once the character is created or canceled then the rest of the book is available again.

(Interesting note: this also got me out of nested bookmarks... which I spent 3-4 hours this weekend designing and then undesigning as I realized the modality problem above.  The book with "everything" in it required subsection bookmarks and started to become a real mess.  This way is nice and clean and simple.)

The player journal will use this interface also.  Each section, "Character", "Skills", "Property", "Blueprints", etc. will have its own bookmark and the first page will be a table of contents for easy jumping.  The table of contents will only exist when there is enough information to spill off of the sections main two pages.  Unlike a real book, my table of contents will always fit on one page since it will have a scroll bar. Smiley

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: