Mythruna
April 28, 2024, 08:48:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Drivers driving me insane  (Read 9611 times)
Stickman Sham

"I did it! I took the boots!"

View Profile
« on: January 14, 2014, 06:04:15 PM »

So, I got a windows vista disc and managed to get it onto usb and install it onto my computer. Now, I just need to get the necessary drivers for windows vista and my Asus P5GC-MX/1333 motherboard. I am absolutely confused as of to what drivers are 'necessary' and where to download them.
I believe this is my final step in this 'one step forward and two steps back' computer upgrading process.

Any help?

“It’s like, ‘hell yeah, I’m all stoked for this lasagna,’ and then you nuke it and the cheese gets all scabby on top and it’s like eating a scab, you know?” - Jesse Pinkman
Sean
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 06:57:53 PM »

http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=1&s=22&m=P5GC-MX%2f1333&os=&hashedid=PYvbfOokwxUzJky3
Choose either Vista 32 bit or Vista 64 bit (I don't know which one you used)

You can download and install the latest version of everything other than the BIOS and BIOS Utilities program.

"People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Stickman Sham

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 05:28:24 PM »

I download the latest drivers for Vista32 and put them onto a USB, and at the "Install Windows" screen i browse to the drivers and if the drivers are compatible in each selected folder (that doesn't have a subfolder) they show up in a list. There are 3 things that happen when I install a driver:

1. When i selected the audio driver to install, it began to install and after about 30 seconds., the bar stopped repeating and it went back to the list of the one audio driver. I don't know if it installed or not

2. When i installed the LAN driver, after "installing" it said: "No new devices could be found. Make sure the driver files are correct and located on the driver installation media."

3. When i select a potential driver folder it says: "No device drivers were found. Make sure that the installation media contains the correct drivers, and then click OK"

One step forward...

“It’s like, ‘hell yeah, I’m all stoked for this lasagna,’ and then you nuke it and the cheese gets all scabby on top and it’s like eating a scab, you know?” - Jesse Pinkman
Sean
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 08:02:11 PM »

Try installing Vista first before installing the drivers.
Even if the drivers wont install, it is possible the LAN driver that comes with Windows will work for you, same thing with the audio driver.

"People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Stickman Sham

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 08:04:01 AM »

Currently, my computer is at an install screen for vista and the only option I am given is to "collect information" and the next step is installing windows. I'll try to explore my options at this state, as I can exit the installation

Sean
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 06:53:10 PM »

Let me know if you can get it installed. I haven't done a Vista installation before so I don't know how different it is from Windows 7 or XP.

Stickman Sham

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2014, 08:45:37 PM »

guess where I'm posting this from

Sean
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2014, 05:04:17 AM »

Good! Now try doing what I told you to do in my first and second posts.

Stickman Sham

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2014, 09:02:52 AM »

Alright, I have a functioning computer now, (finally) and this step is 5 steps forward, but only 1 step back.  Lastly, the computer does not recognize the video card, and attempts to install nvidia drivers for the card have yielded the same results: the driver is not compatible with the hardware. The card's fan spins, so its getting power. I have looked up the problem but have gotten no useful information; so what is the problem?

Sean
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2014, 03:34:58 PM »

Windows could be trying to fetch the wrong driver. Tell me the the model (and maybe even the model number if you can) and I'll try to find the driver.

theamericono

AMERICA

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2014, 08:17:38 PM »

Lol should have went with windows 7 vista is going away pretty quick

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2014, 08:53:30 PM »

Lol should have went with windows 7 vista is going away pretty quick

I've been doing my best to keep my mouth shut on that particular issue. Smiley