Mythruna
March 28, 2024, 08:45:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Post February 2014 status...  (Read 8949 times)
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« on: March 04, 2014, 01:43:30 AM »

Everything seems to always converge on February and it's kind of a downer of a time for me these past years.  As the anniversary of Mythruna's first release, it's always a time of reflection and self-loathing.  Lots of crazy things seem to center themselves around this time of year.  From being the month I originally met the woman who would become my wife to years later being about the same time we found the brain tumor that would dominate our lives this past two years.

I can't really say I'm sorry to see it in my rear view mirror this time.

So, anyway, progress... those of you who follow things closely would have seen the video updates on the book UI.  This has been coming along slowly but surely.  http://mythruna.com/forum/index.php?topic=1711.0

I've also had a few other irons in the fire.

Some of you may already know this but some time back I open sourced the GUI library that I use for the underpinnings of Mythruna's user interface and input handling.  It's a light-weight GUI toolkit built directly on jMonkeyEngine called Lemur.  This past month I developed and posted some tutorials on some of the less obvious goodies inside of it:
http://hub.jmonkeyengine.org/forum/topic/lemur-gems-1-inputmapper-based-camera-movement/
http://hub.jmonkeyengine.org/forum/topic/lemur-gems-2-inputmapper-delegates/
http://hub.jmonkeyengine.org/forum/topic/lemur-gems-3-scene-picking/
http://hub.jmonkeyengine.org/forum/topic/lemur-gems-4-simple-mesh-deformation/

...I plan to do a bit more of that in the future here and there.  I like the format and they are easy to put together.  Doing them also helps a little with my 'mojo'.

The dive back into Lemur support was kind of as an offshoot of the work I've been doing on Mythruna's UI.  Sometimes when developing something that seems simple and/or already covered, things can snowball into something that requires more thought and direct updates to the underlying Lemur toolkit.

Here is a case in point.  In the Networking book, when a user enters server information and clicks "Connect" it then flips to a connecting page where they may be required to enter a user name and a password.  (So far so good.)  Now, up to this point I'd left out key navigation... but I thought maybe I could shoe-horn "hit enter to proceed" style processing into what I already had.  However, the code required to "go to the next field when you hit enter" was starting to spiral to the point where I felt uncomfortable.  Not to mention that it already started to bug me that I couldn't tab around from field to field... this was going to be a problem.

So that led to fixing this issue in Lemur (still in progress) which requires some more design work, enhancing the UI focus system, etc..

On the one hand, being that it's a publicly released library means that I have to be careful not to hack just any old crap into it.  On the other hand, that means the foundation of Mythruna's UI is more solid. 

...It keeps me honest.
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 02:09:44 AM »

I'm glad to see an update, Paul, and still, sorry about the whole brain tumor thing with the wife, I'm still praying for you, her, and your whole family.
Moonkey

This is probably a picture.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 11:13:47 PM »

Networking progress! I love your updates, Paul!

Mythruna: Don't you dare read any posts I made before 2014.
Petrus

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 11:13:59 PM »

I love you Paul. I hope everything works out okay.
SKUD

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 04:10:36 PM »

Hey, new to this forum and havent yet played...brought here by a friend who played it. I was looking for a link to the latest version, read your post. I gotta say, for someone who has gone through quite a bit and still find the time to post here and continue doing what you do, that really says a lot about what kind of person you are. I wish you guys the best of luck as well.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2014, 05:30:15 PM »

Hey, new to this forum and havent yet played...brought here by a friend who played it. I was looking for a link to the latest version, read your post. I gotta say, for someone who has gone through quite a bit and still find the time to post here and continue doing what you do, that really says a lot about what kind of person you are. I wish you guys the best of luck as well.

Thanks.

(FYI: the latest version is on the main site's download page.)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: