Mythruna
March 28, 2024, 11:13:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Fire TV...  (Read 5855 times)
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« on: April 04, 2014, 11:14:09 PM »

So, today at lunch, my Amazon Fire TV showed up.  This little box is pretty cool.

I shot some pics of the unboxing here because it seemed like it would be fun:
http://hub.jmonkeyengine.org/forum/topic/amazon-fire-tv/#post-265867

Apparently, this thing has some kind of time distortion field.  We turned it on, installed Terraria, then linked up the world to my son and daughters Kindle Fire tablets and suddenly 7 hours of our lives disappeared. Wink  Good family fun, all sitting around the living room TV.

I was going to try to see how jMonkeyEngine ran on it... but at this point I may have to buy a second one to do that. Wink
nh_99
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 01:21:27 PM »

Haha, that is sweet! Does it run well? I have not heard much about them.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 06:50:35 PM »

Haha, that is sweet! Does it run well? I have not heard much about them.

I'd only heard about it on Wednesday... but I predicted it back when I was claiming the OUYA would fail.  Anyway, I saw the announcement, poked at the amazon page a little... then decided to get one.  Sucked 4-5 hours of my time away again today.  Terraria is fun to play with the whole family sitting around in the living room.

It runs pretty well so far.  Even the 3D games ran well.  It's got pretty good hardware.
nh_99
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2014, 08:15:21 PM »

Hmmmm, sounds neat! And yeah, Terraria can be like that  Smiley
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2014, 09:40:25 PM »

If I ever get a simple jMonkeyEngine test working on it then I will post back here with some performance results.  It may be a while, though.  Personal time is limited and at this rate if I want long-term access to the new little machine then I will have to buy a second one.

In my dreams, I'd like to get the 3D iso-surface terrain running on it.  Some kind of speeder bike race game on the wide screen TV would be pretty neat.  But since it can bring my modern hardware to its knees, I'm not holding out much hope. Smiley
belgariad87
Donators

RPG player for life

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2014, 01:16:06 PM »

the closest things i have to a "tablet" machine is my smartphone and my psvita... but back to your fire that looks pretty neat. the main drawback I'm seeing is 2gb of mem and 8gb of storage. ouch.

Specs for future reference:
Windows 7 64bit ; Intel Quad Core ; 8GB RAM ; AMD Radeon HD 6800 ; TB HD
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2014, 01:36:03 PM »

the closest things i have to a "tablet" machine is my smartphone and my psvita... but back to your fire that looks pretty neat. the main drawback I'm seeing is 2gb of mem and 8gb of storage. ouch.

Yeah, it's primarily designed for streaming.

Still, this windows box I develop on only has 3.2 gig RAM available.  (32 bit XP limitation)  My Java programs tend to only use 1.5 gig or so... the terrain demo so far is only using 256 meg or thereabouts.  So I still have hope. Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: