Mythruna
April 27, 2024, 05:13:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Suggestions?  (Read 9869 times)
Sempor

View Profile
« on: May 07, 2014, 04:06:18 PM »

Hello everybody!

Could there be a Suggestions area on the Forums please? I know this was already slightly discussed here: http://mythruna.com/forum/index.php?topic=1558.0 , but I think it'd be a welcome addition to the Forums. :-) It'd be helpful, if we had any ideas that would be good for the game ( or the Forums! ;-) ). Thank you! :-)
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 04:13:54 PM »

I don't think it needs a special section, really.

Just make sure that before you post suggestions that you've already looked at the roadmap.  I think if I head "You should really add monsters..." one more time my head will implode. Smiley
Sempor

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 04:22:40 PM »

You should really add mon ... keys.  Wink

Seriously though, it'd be great as a reference to jMonkeyEngine 3.  Smiley Maybe you could even add Lemurs too.  Wink
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 06:10:15 PM »

You should really add mon ... keys.  Wink

Seriously though, it'd be great as a reference to jMonkeyEngine 3.  Smiley Maybe you could even add Lemurs too.  Wink

Simian

The simian race is an ape-like humanoid that retains many of the traits of other apes. They are the scholars and tinkerers of Mythruna and a kindred race to Humans.

They tend to build large and expansive towns and cities above ground in the trees or on craggy cliffs. Over time they have become exceptional engineers. Humans and Simians regularly trade engineering knowledge and secrets and Simian’s have an almost compulsive need to collect and read books. Most Mythruna libraries will be run by Simian elders and no army would ever go to war without a Simian engineering council.

They are mostly herbivores but will eat certain meats.

Tree climbing is an innate special ability and there feet and tails can be used as additional climbing aids. If they have a chance to situate themselves, they can continue using both hands freely even in precarious positions. They are the only race that can naturally climb one-handed.

They have no natural magic ability but they can often understand the workings of magic devices enough to construct or repair them.

Like humans, they are adaptable. If they build a tree city then they build it to last and will spend generations there. Also like humans, they are not climate specific and will find a way to adapt their lifestyle to any particular location on Mythruna.

It's no coincidence that the monkeys are the smartest race. Wink
Sempor

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 06:15:59 PM »

But ... but ... it says a simian is an 'ape-like humanoid'. Yet further on it says it has a tail?  Wink
Is it a monkey or is it an ape?  Huh
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2014, 09:06:15 PM »

It's a fantasy game.  Wink
Sempor

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2014, 10:03:04 PM »

The plot thickens....
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2014, 10:52:52 PM »

The plot thickens....

Well, it means I will take license with reality where ever it suits me. Smiley

The simian race is broken into to castes.  One is the warrior caste and is more ape-like.  The other is the scholar class and is more monkey-like.  The warriors don't have tails but the others do.  I believe this was covered in more detail in one of the forum threads.

This is similar to the reptilians except the reptilians over the centuries of lost culture, have eventually begun to interbreed and create hybrids.  Effectively beginning to undo the separation that their ancestors specifically created a thousand years before.

The simians never interbreed.  It's possible that they are genetically incompatible... but it's never occurred to anyone to test it, either.  The two have a symbiotic mutual respect that runs deep but they are not even remotely attracted to one another.
Sempor

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2014, 07:47:28 AM »

That's a pretty cool backstory ....  Cheesy
Teknonick

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2014, 10:47:06 AM »

Yeah, Paul. When are you going to add mon- I mean keys. Keys would be a really fine touch if you know what I...

I think a Suggestions section is great! I always look for it whenever I come here, but I never seem to find it. You could also lock a topic at the top that says "STOP! Before you post, read this!" and mention important stuff there. I've suggested tons of stuff before (All of which you already plan to do... well, maybe except one or two), and I think it would be much easier if I could organize all of my important suggestions there. One of which is an improvement to the mining system... but I won't spoil what it is. Not without that Suggestions section. >Smiley
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2014, 02:53:17 PM »

Yeah, Paul. When are you going to add mon- I mean keys. Keys would be a really fine touch if you know what I...

I think a Suggestions section is great! I always look for it whenever I come here, but I never seem to find it. You could also lock a topic at the top that says "STOP! Before you post, read this!" and mention important stuff there. I've suggested tons of stuff before (All of which you already plan to do... well, maybe except one or two), and I think it would be much easier if I could organize all of my important suggestions there. One of which is an improvement to the mining system... but I won't spoil what it is. Not without that Suggestions section. >Smiley

When the game is a little farther along I may set this up.  As it is, now all of my responses seem to be "Yeah, it's already on the list" or "No, I'm not going to do that" simply because I have no latitude in the plan at the moment.  Like, "everything will be possible with a plugin" and so it's rate that something comes up that a) isn't on the plan and b) also isn't out of theme or scope.

I do appreciate the suggestions.  I just think setting up a suggestions section implies that I'm looking for a LOT of this kind of feedback and I'm not yet.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2014, 02:58:07 PM »

Just to double clarify, it's not that I don't like suggestions... but you guys getting so excited that you want to make cool suggestions is a lot different then me rattling a cup and say "Suggestions, suggestions!  Drop your suggestions here!"

...I hope I'm coming across clearly.  I love feedback.  I'm just not ready to _solicit_ this particular sort of feedback yet.

As a counter-example, if I get my little side-project hoverbike racing game off the ground (what the terrain and trees were for) then that project is so open-ended that I really would be rattling the suggestions cup.  I have another idea for a somewhat simple "try to earn some money" mobile game that would similarly benefit from as many crazy ideas as possible.
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2014, 03:06:20 PM »

I have another idea for a somewhat simple "try to earn some money" mobile game that would similarly benefit from as many crazy ideas as possible.
Apple or Android?
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2014, 04:18:13 PM »

I have another idea for a somewhat simple "try to earn some money" mobile game that would similarly benefit from as many crazy ideas as possible.
Apple or Android?

Well, specifically the Fire TV since it's an up-to-eight-player side by side game... though I may extend it to regular mobile devices as a single player or local networked game.  There used to be a head-to-head game called Star Control ages and ages ago and was tons of fun for two players.  This would kind of be like an updated version of that but for more players and with lots of different ship abilities and stuff.  The Fire TV can support up to 8 gamepads but also allows connecting to handhelds.

Any port to iOS would be dependent on a) if the handheld game gets far enough along for that to make sense, and b) if the JME iOS support is far enough along by then... though it's already really close.

Anyway, the base game for that one is easy to write and then at some point it's just about adding lots of crazy ship abilities, add-ons, and power-ups.  I don't want to mention the tentative title here because it currently gets 0 google hits and I want to keep it that way. Smiley

Edit: oh, and I'd put it out for PC also... though it would kind of be limited to two player there.  If I get the AI interesting then single player might work... but that starts to expand the scope of the game beyond "easy".
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: