Mythruna
April 26, 2024, 10:28:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ban* function  (Read 5258 times)
randomprofile
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« on: September 15, 2011, 04:31:24 AM »

If any of you have ever looked at my status, you'll see that I am a MW2 player. I no longer play on steam due to private issues, But I found another version of MW2 multiplayer that is free and "Legal" from what I understand. That is not the point, this game has wonderful Banning function, It has a great anti-cheat system, that detects if there are any unwanted dll's injected into the games memory or started with the game. If someone is caught cheating it bans the person not only by IP... But... MAC Address. If can explain what mac address is to anyone who does not know. Well knowing the internet, people still find ways to cheat even though a fix is released whiten the next few days, and everyone knows you can change your IP and Mac (On some hardware). The point is even if Mythruna is an account based game like minecraft, people will aways find a way around. So I had an idea what if when you were banned Mythruna hides some files on the system that state that they were banned. Would this be legal? What if it was in Terms of Agreement or something?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 07:29:52 AM by SleeperCell #42 » Logged
caesar
Forum's Janitor
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 04:50:19 AM »

You want to kill the game on a machine?

- so what if not the owner of the game but anyone else 'absues' his game? You would kill his installation even the real owner did nothing wrong
- if an admin on a server is a moron and not the user? so the admin could use that against a user as he wants
... and so on

You should block usernames/IPs/MACs on servers and thats it. As Myhtruna will be a RPG the user loses his time spent in the charakter. Think thats enough punishment. The griefing issue is solved by the property system. So no need to get hated cause of a wired TOS paragraph.
And if Mythruna will be commercial you would destroy the copy of the game even in SP, can't imagine that as legal.
randomprofile
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 07:34:42 AM »

Well the MW2 game actually does not work using usernames and never uses them to ban players Smiley, meaning anyone can take my name. Sure it can be annoying, but I've never had a problem in my 2 years of playing the game with someone else taking my name. Also a user can make an appeal, to which they download an appeal application which opens one of the many logs (Which includes info on what what happening), and if those logs do not exist and it's the wrong mac/ip (Not the machine that the game got banned on)... I guess your unbanned, I'm also guessing this can be automated but that can cause problems? I also found a few problems, but I won't give anyone any ideas.Smiley And why you hate D: I was asking if it was a good idea or no, feel free to add on. You don't quite understand me, this will be done VAC2 banning style not server. Though a server admin can ban a username only if he wants, PLUS we can also just do the Minecraft style? Where every server takes the law into their own hands Smiley.

(Sorry for terrible grammar, I have not slept in over 18 hours D:)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 07:40:09 AM by SleeperCell #42 » Logged
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 10:08:19 AM »

Current plan is banning on server side.  And I've already included some tools along those lines that admins can use... this is already quite flexible, actually since nearly anything you want can be done with scripting.

There is no full-proof method for validating clients... there just can't be.  If the server requests some information then the client can be trained to return the right info.  You can make it harder but not impossible... and you turn it into a completely different game at that point.  In other words, now you are playing a "one up the cracker" game with some guy.  I have some ideas that make it harder to crack on a server by server basis but it used improperly by the admins may just escalate the game.

When you ban a user and they know it then you've turned it into a war.  They might have been annoying before but I think if they ever find a way into the server again then they will grief it on a massive scale.  So I try to concentrate on things like asymmetric banning where the player is effectively "nerfed" but would not obviously realize it.  And then being able to easily recover from their pre-nerf griefing.  So far this covers 99% of the worst cases so far.

...I do have an advantage now, though, since Mythruna is still pre-alpha, odd behavior looks like bugs and not the nerfing that it really is.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: