Mythruna
March 28, 2024, 11:51:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Various Questions About Future Development  (Read 4737 times)
Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« on: July 06, 2014, 12:43:20 AM »

These are just some questions that have been brewing for a while. Dunno if some have been elaborated on elsewhere or not. I briefly skimmed some stuff all over the forums before I sat down and wrote up... well... even MORE questions on top of what I've already asked. Hope you brought a snack. Tongue

1. I noticed your gameplan included heat as a factor for the reptilian race. Will other species like humans still suffer from hypothermia if they run around a tundra naked? Will certain armors/clothing have insulation ratings? Are there any other survival elements planned like hydration, hunger, etc?

2. There are many ways games make every single item more dynamic. Equipment enhancing being the most prominent method. Some games offer this through enchantments, reforging, and even upgrade powders. Others, still, couple those with additional socket enhancements, but a notable enhancement system is the one found in Cube World, where you add on to your weapon using voxels. Is something like this planned in the future?

3. How will the skills work? Is it going to be a "click to do this" or will it be "Make a clean incision here to remove the guts; Cut the skin here & here to remove the pelt, and slice here to harvest a slab of meat"(basically a kind of minigame thing)?

4. Will equipment degrade? If so, what happens when it's 'durability' is depleted? Does it break? Become unusable? become less efficient?

5. I noticed mention of an aging system. Will this be reversible? Will it have any non-cosmetic implications? Will we, if nothing else, be able to shave? xD

6. How will blueprints work later? Will they require their respective resources, or will they be unmakeable(in 'survival' mode)?

7. Is more than one 'world' planned? I.E A portal leads to another planet filled with city ruins, or a planet of fire and ice.

8. Will there be ale? :3

9. Will mobs interact with the environment? I.E Bunnies may eat all the vegetation in an area, make burrows, etc.

10. Will there be a taming/domestication/breeding system? I.E Taming a cat living in nearby brush by visiting it for a few nights with food/ Breaking in a young horse/ penning cattle with feed.

11. Magic sense will have its' own branch allowing you to predict weather, which denotes importance. What 'real world' implications will weather have? How will weather work? Will the temperature in an area keep climbing(during the summer) until it rains like in real life? What kinds of weather events will there be? Will weather be local or global? Will certain biomes have unique weather events? I.E Desert may have sandstorms, jungle may have flash floods, lakeside forest may have fog, etc.

12. Will there be emotes?

13. Will there be farmable goods? (Melon houses!)

Sorry for asking so many questions... but I have good reasons. Cheesy

(There used to be about 20 questions, but I'm going to flesh them out into suggestions or just scrap them instead since it's unlikely you're planning them.)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 01:59:26 AM by Rayblon » Logged

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 11:43:54 AM »

Important caveat: all of the below will be speaking about what I'd like to do or what I plan to do but doesn't necessarily mean that reality will let me get away with it.  A few things could turn out to be more expensive in processing time than their ultimate benefit.  I like to mention that in case something turns out to be impossible for some reason that hasn't occurred to me yet or due to some risk I haven't tested yet.

These are just some questions that have been brewing for a while. Dunno if some have been elaborated on elsewhere or not. I briefly skimmed some stuff all over the forums before I sat down and wrote up... well... even MORE questions on top of what I've already asked. Hope you brought a snack. Tongue

1. I noticed your gameplan included heat as a factor for the reptilian race. Will other species like humans still suffer from hypothermia if they run around a tundra naked? Will certain armors/clothing have insulation ratings? Are there any other survival elements planned like hydration, hunger, etc?

In short, yes.  I don't want to take it to ridiculous micro-management levels but where your food, water, and shelter is coming from should be on your mind... and especially in a big tundra or desert.  A big desert is no fun if you don't have the chance of suffering ill effects.

...whether you can die from these things are not is still an open question to me.  I lean towards allowing death but so far the death system is such that you can respawn where you were ultimately and then maybe dying is not as good as just reducing your capabilities to near 0 until you recover... which is basically how extreme fatigue would work anyway.

2. There are many ways games make every single item more dynamic. Equipment enhancing being the most prominent method. Some games offer this through enchantments, reforging, and even upgrade powders. Others, still, couple those with additional socket enhancements, but a notable enhancement system is the one found in Cube World, where you add on to your weapon using voxels. Is something like this planned in the future?

The plan is to let you create your own weapons.  It depends on some "yet undetermined" things in the physics engine and combat implementations but it's the plan.

Special abilities will be through slots the same as character special abilities.  Magic "chips" that are added and configured to do different types of magic.

3. How will the skills work? Is it going to be a "click to do this" or will it be "Make a clean incision here to remove the guts; Cut the skin here & here to remove the pelt, and slice here to harvest a slab of meat"(basically a kind of minigame thing)?

Some skills will become innate... like being able to make a certain material or block shape.  Others will open up a form of mini-game.  Making a bow or a sword should take time and require some number of steps... and shouldn't be a "click 50 times until you succeed" sort of thing.

4. Will equipment degrade? If so, what happens when it's 'durability' is depleted? Does it break? Become unusable? become less efficient?

Yes.  Equipment will have hit points of a sort.  If you have an inferior weapon then a sword master may be able to strike it in two in one blow... then your option is reforging.  Otherwise, a weapon's damage may affect it's ability to deliver damage.  It will definitely make it more likely to break.

5. I noticed mention of an aging system. Will this be reversible? Will it have any non-cosmetic implications? Will we, if nothing else, be able to shave? xD

It's still open whether there will really be such a thing.  Shaving would certainly be allowed.  Smiley

6. How will blueprints work later? Will they require their respective resources, or will they be unmakeable(in 'survival' mode)?

Blueprints will be acquired or made (if you have the skill to 'write' them).  They will require a certain amount of raw materials and certain types of skill(s) to make.  The materials that can go into a survival mode blueprint may be limited to what makes sense, also.  For example, crafting a bush from thin air because your blueprint has those blocks probably won't fly.  Also, you can't make a sword just because you have a blueprint with the right shapes in it.  So it may be limited to wood, stone, etc. to some extent.

Blueprints may take on a slightly different shape, too.  Instead of just raw block placement you may have blueprints for connecting different components together.  ie: a treasure chest blueprint may require that you already have the box, lid, hinges, and lock.  ...some of which may come from separate blueprints or are purchased, etc.

7. Is more than one 'world' planned? I.E A portal leads to another planet filled with city ruins, or a planet of fire and ice.

The spirit plane and one other thing I'm not going to talk about are the only 'alternate universes' I'm considering at this point.

8. Will there be ale? :3

Sure.  Unknown what affect it will have on you.  You are a super-being after all. Wink

9. Will mobs interact with the environment? I.E Bunnies may eat all the vegetation in an area, make burrows, etc.

Yes.  I think I've covered some of this before... the low-food-chain prey may not be modeled directly other than as a statistic and random encounter... but everything above that will.  Even within that, if you deforest an area then you have displaced a bunch of rodents... and that may cause problems for your town storage rooms.

...and certainly now that the wolves have no prey they will be seeking more difficult targets (such as humans) that they might have ignored before.  If they get desperate enough then they may even start venturing into town.

This is the sort of cause-and-indirect-effect I'd like to have and have been modeling things along those lines.  It's not dissimilar to how I was modeling intra-town relationships... which occurs to me may have only been discussed on the donators-only areas.

10. Will there be a taming/domestication/breeding system? I.E Taming a cat living in nearby brush by visiting it for a few nights with food/ Breaking in a young horse/ penning cattle with feed.

Absolutely.  I want you to be able to have pets and so on.

11. Magic sense will have its' own branch allowing you to predict weather, which denotes importance. What 'real world' implications will weather have? How will weather work? Will the temperature in an area keep climbing(during the summer) until it rains like in real life? What kinds of weather events will there be? Will weather be local or global? Will certain biomes have unique weather events? I.E Desert may have sandstorms, jungle may have flash floods, lakeside forest may have fog, etc.

Which weather I support will largely depend on whether I can create the effect or not.  Rain, thunderstorms, hurricanes, blizzards, sandstorms, etc... are all on my wish list.

Weather will be local based on a global system.  ie: it can be raining in one place and not another but if the weather system is moving west then it will likely hit those towns next and so on.

The effects will be varied.  Blizzards, sandstorms, hurricanes/torrential rains, etc. will all make fighting and traveling difficult just for the obvious reasons of not being able to see well.  Cold will make you cold.  Hot will make you hot... and so on.

Towns that consistently suffer extreme weather may have a larger "maintenance budget".  In the town equations, it is generally considered that a town will require a certain amount of wood per year for general upkeep.  In areas of extreme storms, this type of number may be much higher... making it more expensive to keep the town going.  Also making it easier to siege such a town... especially if you sneak in and burn down their storehouses.

12. Will there be emotes?

Probably.

13. Will there be farmable goods? (Melon houses!)

Absolutely.  I think I even had some farm pictures.

Towns will have to have farms or food income of some kind in order to survive.  The Mythruna growing season is very short so it doesn't take as much farm land to sustain a town as it would in real life.  I worked out all of these equations somewhere... but without trying to be a tease, it may have been in the donators-only section or in the 'friends of mythruna' section.  I'd have to look to be sure.
Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 12:10:23 PM »

That was fast... Shocked

Anywho, thanks for answering so many questions... Again. xD

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: