Mythruna
April 28, 2024, 01:57:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: In ten hours half of Minecraft will be dead.  (Read 12943 times)
Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« on: July 31, 2014, 11:55:28 AM »

The enforcement of Minecraft's EULA begins in ten hours. Most servers will either shut down or fall due to lack of funds in the coming months. It is likely Mythruna will see an influx of newcomers soon.

Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 07:21:58 PM »

The enforcement of Minecraft's EULA begins in ten hours. Most servers will either shut down or fall due to lack of funds in the coming months. It is likely Mythruna will see an influx of newcomers soon.
Lol. Time to get Paul to develop faster, and time to get his new API so I can develop. :3
I only have my laptop now, anyone have a server I could develop and test? :c
Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 09:21:26 PM »

I have a beast with OK internet. The connection is nothing to phone home about but it's a beefy server hoster regardless. I could certainly host it off my machine... tomorrow. I'm sleepy. 3:

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 09:51:08 PM »

I wish I was in a position to take proper advantage of the situation.

I hope to get back to coding Mythruna more fervently in August.  Hopefully life won't make me eat those words.
voxelgamer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 06:35:50 AM »

hi pspeed I know a game "starforge"those developers were lumberjacks If I recall, they launched a very early alpha for a kickstarter and managed to raise enough funds to quit their job, maybe you should do the same all I'd recommend is maybe a creature or 2 and some weapons or weapon, then launch it for a kickstarter, I see your game going far, I understand funds are an issue, if you do a kickstarter you'd free up time for mythruna, just a suggestion.I know it's been suggested before but I think you should consider again,.
Rexirl
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 07:19:56 AM »

I might not be too up-to-date on all this, but it seem like the new EULA is actually more lenient than the old one; people are complaining because Mojang hasn't been as strict about it before, even though much of the monetisation that has been around was in fact never allowed.

In case anyone missed it, here's a link to what Notch had to write about it: "Literally worse than EA".

starforge

I'm one of the unfortunate - or perhaps just gullible - ones who helped fund CodeHatch (though I'm sure many have paid much more than I have), one or mayhaps two years ago. So far their game has been nothing but a massive disappointment, but I suppose that is more my fault for expecting so much from them, and they might still make at least something playworthy of it - anyway, my point is I don't think they set a very good example.
Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2014, 09:24:15 AM »

@rexirl The problem itself was the inaction. They expected every Minecraft server on the planet to undo three years worth of business models in a month's time. With this new policy, more and more servers will either be going down from lack of funds/ takedowns or a bunch of servers will find a cozy place in the NATO bunker. Either way, it's a political shitstorm and it's going to hurt everyone and drive many others away. I've seen things like this before. When a company starts actually imposing restrictions, they become scary. When they actually start serving people, they're gonna be even scarier, and it's going to drive out lots of business.

People could claim estoppel if Mojang actually tries to serve them, but people generally aren't that smart.

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2014, 09:29:59 AM »

hi pspeed I know a game "starforge"those developers were lumberjacks If I recall, they launched a very early alpha for a kickstarter and managed to raise enough funds to quit their job, maybe you should do the same all I'd recommend is maybe a creature or 2 and some weapons or weapon, then launch it for a kickstarter, I see your game going far, I understand funds are an issue, if you do a kickstarter you'd free up time for mythruna, just a suggestion.I know it's been suggested before but I think you should consider again,.

I really hate getting into these conversations because everyone has a different idea of how much money it takes to do what.  I make my living, pay my bills, and I've run many teams... as well as worked for small business that have both succeeded and failed on their funding.  I'm very aware of the stark reality of the finances involved.

As explained a few times before, here and elsewhere.  Kickstarter is no good for me.  It's like the rocket equations.  To get more payload up, you need more fuel, but more fuel weighs more so you need more fuel... which weighs more, and so on.

I'm not in a position to live in a shack and eat Ramen noodles every day to develop Mythruna.

To quit my job, I'd have to ask for something close to half a million.  No one is going to give me half a million to develop Mythruna... and if they did, they'd expect me to hire a bunch of people and get it done faster.  So I'd have to ask for even more.  If I ask for a million (never in a hundred years would people kick in that much) then they'd expect triple-A quality art so I'd have to hire a team of full time artists... and so on.  Not to mention, hiring those folks would take at least 6 months... meanwhile I'm still burning through cash and folks are wondering what I did with it.

Frankly, if there were that many folks willing to fund Mythruna up to $1 million then the donation page would already be swimming in cash.  It's just not.  

On the other side of the coin, with my wife's brain cancer and her lowered mobility, I spend much of my week taking care of her and my two kids.  I don't even work full time at my regular job these days as I take a lot of "leave without pay" and accumulate additional debt as necessary.  My ability to work on games comes in small intervals here and there... or when I'm avoiding going to sleep because I need to stay up until I'm exhausted just to make sure I fall asleep properly these days.  All of the next steps in Mythruna are major motions... whether it's networking or AI or what have you.  They require lots of undivided "fully awake" time.  Not an hour here and there squeezed between work, the dad-taxi-service, and sleeping.  

This is part of the reason I've been working on side projects.  Most of the time, there is some or another aspect that benefits Mythruna.  For example, the open sourced IsoSurface demo stuff has a terrain pager in it that is way better than the one I used for Mythruna but could easily serve Mythruna's terrain.  Doing that development, I already fixed at least three major bugs that Mythruna's existing pager (in the new engine) definitely has but would have been harder to find there.  Also, as part of that project I added something called "instancing" to JME which will definitely help Mythruna down the road.  

And at the very least, the side projects keep my brain in coding and I get inspired to get back to Mythruna.  Finishing SimArboreal, finishing the IsoSurface demo... finishing things is addictive.  I need to be doing stuff right now that I can work on in one-two hour chunks and that I have a hope of finishing in a short amount of time.  Two such side-projects will also go a long way to getting past the next two major Mythruna hurdles. (networked physics and the base AI framework)
voxelgamer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2014, 12:18:43 PM »

I hear you loud and clear but I mean I've seen kickstarters for potato salad before seriously.all the guy needed was money for potato salad and he raised a couple thousand on that alone.I mean a little kickstarter would help no need for a full on kickstarter just a little one to help with what you need to, even if it takes time,this all coming from someone who knows little about gaming and programming so take it with lots of salt.I do understand life's hard atm.I just think you need more exposure, I saw that iso surface demo I was amazing the landscape looked truly epic and you just made it for fun truly amazing .anyway just my opinion.I think your work is great.keep it up.and goodluck going ahead
voxelgamer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2014, 12:33:58 PM »

sorry for double post ,on the phone edit not working.but yeah I know theres a lot you've done to the game that me as a non detonator haven't seen.I read your blog regularly about all the stuff added to the game it's truly amazing, compared to minecraft, your games already better I mean you have atlast added shaders to the game, normal maps ,directional lighting ,clouds, waving water and grass and the performance is good considering it's java,so yeah, if I get a chance I'll spread the word about this game as much as possible, consider a kickstarter even though it sounds hectic, I think it'll help there's no pressure though I think I speak for the forums in saying you doing a great job!
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2014, 12:39:57 PM »

I hear you loud and clear but I mean I've seen kickstarters for potato salad before seriously.all the guy needed was money for potato salad and he raised a couple thousand on that alone.I mean a little kickstarter would help no need for a full on kickstarter just a little one to help with what you need to, even if it takes time,this all coming from someone who knows little about gaming and programming so take it with lots of salt.I do understand life's hard atm.I just think you need more exposure, I saw that iso surface demo I was amazing the landscape looked truly epic and you just made it for fun truly amazing .anyway just my opinion.I think your work is great.keep it up.and goodluck going ahead

But if people want to help, they can already donate.  Kickstarter doesn't do anything for me other than place arbitrary requirements and then they take a cut of the money.  There is no amount I can pick that would be reasonable.  I pick a small amount and say flat out "but this won't actually get the game finished" or I pick a large amount and never get funded.  A friend tried to kickstarter his game for $60k and it had a nice campaign and was much farther along than Mythruna (different genre).  It failed to reach its funding goal by a wide margin... so they get $0.  If he'd instead setup a paypal preorder type thing, I would have still paid and he'd at least have that money now.

I've not tried to get any exposure at all, really.  I feel the game is too much in the early stages and right now too dormant to advertise.  So all of you guys found me by word of mouth and it has been enough to keep the creative juices flowing and have a ready and willing band of testers/feedback. Smiley

When I can put a decent demo-trailer together, watch out, though.
voxelgamer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2014, 12:52:11 PM »

oh ok see I didn't know that.yeah looking forward to when that demo that demo trailer comes out gonna be awesome, well I guess since I can't donate currently still in school actually got inspired by your game to computer programming as my trade kinda thing.but yeah I'll help spread the word hopefully get some donations your way.
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2014, 02:34:14 PM »

Currently saving for a new PC, but if I can get a chance, I will donate more. Wink
Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2014, 06:58:15 PM »

I can do a Lat's Play of Mythruna once my video editing skills get a bit better.

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2014, 09:30:45 PM »

I can do a Lat's Play of Mythruna once my video editing skills get a bit better.

...with your fancy new microphone headset. Smiley
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: