Mythruna
March 29, 2024, 03:15:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Mojang has been BOUGHT by Microsoft  (Read 11569 times)
Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« on: September 15, 2014, 12:33:30 PM »

Not more than a week after the stunning revelation by the Bukkit team, Mojang's Notch has announced that he has sold Mojang to the highest bidder; Microsoft. This is foreboding if one takes into account the exploits of Rare after their acquisition. Mojang's days are numbered as a gaming giant.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 01:26:45 PM by Rayblon » Logged

Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 06:27:28 PM »

That made me mad, to be honest.
Moonkey

This is probably a picture.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 07:27:01 PM »

Meh.... What would one man do with 2.5 billion dollars?...

Mythruna: Don't you dare read any posts I made before 2014.
Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 07:30:05 PM »

I have no idea Moonkey......

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 08:50:40 PM »

Me: I'd buy an island.
"But an island doesn't necessarily cost $2.5 billion..."
Me: No, but making sure it had high speed internet might.  Smiley

The money was probably split among the various founders... especially the ones who are bailing.  But still...

I'm kind of keeping my opinions on this to myself.  Hard to tell where flabbergast ends and sour grapes begins. Wink
Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 08:56:02 PM »

The money was probably split among the various founders... especially the ones who are bailing.  But still...

I'm kind of keeping my opinions on this to myself.  Hard to tell where flabbergast ends and sour grapes begins. Wink

It's definitely an opportunity if there ever was one. It's brewed up alot of hate and people are going to be falling off the Minecraft bandwagon faster than ever before.

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2014, 09:54:54 PM »

It's definitely an opportunity if there ever was one. It's brewed up alot of hate and people are going to be falling off the Minecraft bandwagon faster than ever before.

Maybe.  I wish I was in a better position to take advantage of it.

Really, there are a lot of users who don't care... and those that do are already ingrained in the "rage-quit" cycle: "Stupid game!!! I'm never playing this again!" ...until five minutes later... I suspect any "I'm never playing again" from those folks will be short lived.

Video games tend to go through this sort of backlash periodically where a bunch of people threaten to quit "forever" but very few actually do.  So we'll see.

Personally, I think it's a really dumb move on MS's part.  They somehow think they will "break even" by June 2015.  They must be using a different math book than I am but then again, I don't run a successful multi-billion $$ corporation either.  That being said, they've been making a lot of seemingly dumb moves lately so who knows.

One thing that should be nice about all of this is that competitors (like myself) should be facing _much_ less backlash going forward.  We are no longer "attacking notch's dream" as some people reacted in the past.  At least I hope the community will be much less defensive going forward.
Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2014, 11:09:41 PM »

Really, there are a lot of users who don't care... and those that do are already ingrained in the "rage-quit" cycle: "Stupid game!!! I'm never playing this again!" ...until five minutes later... I suspect any "I'm never playing again" from those folks will be short lived.

Video games tend to go through this sort of backlash periodically where a bunch of people threaten to quit "forever" but very few actually do.  So we'll see.

Personally, I think it's a really dumb move on MS's part.  They somehow think they will "break even" by June 2015.  They must be using a different math book than I am but then again, I don't run a successful multi-billion $$ corporation either.  That being said, they've been making a lot of seemingly dumb moves lately so who knows.

One thing that should be nice about all of this is that competitors (like myself) should be facing _much_ less backlash going forward.  We are no longer "attacking notch's dream" as some people reacted in the past.  At least I hope the community will be much less defensive going forward.

This is one of the reasons why I love you in that totally-normal-not-love kind of way. There's no way to disagree with anything you say when it comes down to stuff like this. xD

I never thought of the attacking Notch's dream thing, actually... But yeah, you're right. It really levels the playing field when people stop hating on the little guys. Hopefully it really does work out and people don't end up turning to Landmark or some shit like that...

Then again, Landmark DOES have spheres... .-.

BigredRm
Donators

<-o Word up goes to that modern man o->

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2014, 10:57:10 AM »

I personally don't think very highly of Notch and the development on Mojangs side has been very disappointing the past few years for me. It still feels very beta even in VR and on a console.
I think Microsoft will merch the hell out of MC and then release MC 2 hopefully taking the engine and improving it. I hope they don't rewrite it in C because Id like to see JavaScript keep growing in this area.
I think if things happened differently that Mythruna could have stolen allot of MC users. That,s how I found Mythruna, Found it on someones list of MC clones because MC didn't satisfy me but the idea of voxel engines intrigued me(still does).
If I didn't have the menu sound crashing Mythruna Id still be visiting the server. I will be getting a new PC around xmas time so you all may see me back around then.

Visit Iron Island @ 1708,702
Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2014, 11:03:01 AM »

"MineBox Live"

Moonkey

This is probably a picture.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2014, 10:16:39 AM »

That's also the dumb thing. This wasn't notch's dream. He specifically stated he's just a nerd programmer wanting to make silly things. He NEVER wanted Minecraft to be like this. That's why he said now, if he ever makes something again that starts to gain traction, he's dropping it completely. Sad, but I can't blame him.

Mythruna: Don't you dare read any posts I made before 2014.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2014, 10:40:00 AM »

That's also the dumb thing. This wasn't notch's dream. He specifically stated he's just a nerd programmer wanting to make silly things. He NEVER wanted Minecraft to be like this. That's why he said now, if he ever makes something again that starts to gain traction, he's dropping it completely. Sad, but I can't blame him.

Yeah, effectively he "rage quit" his own game. Wink  Well, he has enough money to do whatever he wants now at least.

I know Notch never condoned the "anti-clone" behavior... but it didn't stop it from happening.  You have to have a thick skin to have any kind of web presence about anything these days... games included.  I used to save some of the best insults because I joked that it would be funny to include them "on the box" where other games put review quotes. Smiley
Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2014, 12:20:53 PM »

I know Notch never condoned the "anti-clone" behavior... but it didn't stop it from happening.

It's kinda hard to look different from Minecraft when the idea of a voxel based game is... you know.

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2014, 02:57:28 PM »

The irony is that when I'm finished, I suspect that many people will grip that it's not enough like Minecraft.  Mining and building in the final (non-creative mode) version will be _very_ different, I suspect.
Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2014, 10:43:47 AM »

Microsoft has been developing something of their own and is launching it. Similar to MC in that it's a sandbox... but that in itself is troubling. Perhaps they bought it just to dissolve it.

http://venturebeat.com/2014/10/06/microsoft-formally-launches-project-spark-so-players-can-create-their-own-games/
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 10:54:49 AM by Rayblon » Logged

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: