Mythruna
April 23, 2024, 01:52:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: "Service pack did not install. Reverting changes"  (Read 5711 times)
Stickman Sham

"I did it! I took the boots!"

View Profile
« on: September 25, 2014, 07:23:48 PM »

I'm trying to install Service Pack 1 for Windows Vista, except at part 3 out of 3, and 100% completed, I get "Service pack did not install. Reverting changes". I've tried to do a complete reinstall of Vista, but it didn't work. What can be done to fix this?

“It’s like, ‘hell yeah, I’m all stoked for this lasagna,’ and then you nuke it and the cheese gets all scabby on top and it’s like eating a scab, you know?” - Jesse Pinkman
Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 08:49:42 PM »

Vista is an unstable platform even after the service pack is applied... But it may be worth turning your antivirus OFF during the update. It's such a huge update that it easily trips your antivirus at the very end(which is, in my limited vocabulary on the matter, when all your startup processed start turning on).

Another possible fix is reinstalling every update leading up to SP1 and trying again... But you have to go one at a time or the system will overload.

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 10:03:14 PM »

I know that "install win7 instead" isn't very good advice but it's very hard not to say it.  I know you must have constraints on why you are going this route but surely if time is worth money then you've already spent enough to have purchased a few Win7 pro copies by now. Smiley

There is good reason that during the height of Vista's shelf-life companies were still advertising that you could still get systems preloaded with WinXP.  It was a feature that all of the computer shops touted, ie: "You won't be forced to run Vista."

For MS, always better to skip the even numbered releases, I guess.
Stickman Sham

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2014, 12:44:10 PM »

At the moment, I have a windows 7 ultimate 64bit ISO ready to boot, and I attempted to perform a clean install, but I need Service Pack 1 before I can do that, and service pack 1 does not install.

I think that the best way to go is to completely get rid of the current windows vista and try to install windows 7 again.

“It’s like, ‘hell yeah, I’m all stoked for this lasagna,’ and then you nuke it and the cheese gets all scabby on top and it’s like eating a scab, you know?” - Jesse Pinkman
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2014, 03:23:44 PM »

At the moment, I have a windows 7 ultimate 64bit ISO ready to boot, and I attempted to perform a clean install, but I need Service Pack 1 before I can do that, and service pack 1 does not install.

I think that the best way to go is to completely get rid of the current windows vista and try to install windows 7 again.
That would probably work, because Windows can be very annoying about this crap.
Stickman Sham

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2014, 04:03:08 PM »

Thanks Wandaws

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: