Mythruna
March 28, 2024, 06:39:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Novement 2014 Status...  (Read 39757 times)
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2014, 09:16:37 PM »

Lol, the way you put the clothes on them reminds me of those paint on jeans people wear sometimes.

"Jeggings" is the word you are looking for.  Smiley

When there are real craftable clothing then the clothes will be done completely different.  So I didn't want to spend too much time on them.  Still I think they look pretty good for the amount of effort (or lack thereof) that I put into them.
ebag51
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2015, 09:14:24 PM »

I finally hooked up the local "recent servers" support so it remembers where you've connected recently... and more importantly remembers the last login and password hash.

This saves sooooo much time.  I want to do a little happy dance.  I'm glad I did this before going any further because entering the user + password every two minutes was getting really old.

I couldn't have implemented it much sooner than now, though, because the UI was only just able to support the list and selection and stuff.  Not I can finally get to a simple character creation screen without pulling my considerably long hair out.

This has been a good week.  Last night I changed gears to do some optimization-related changes to jMonkeyEngine but other than that I've actually gotten to work on Mythruna every night since Thanksgiving.  Even if one or two nights was only 30-45 minutes... several nights were considerably longer.  It feels good to be making progress again.

The now-familiar to-do list...

After reading and rereading the to do list multiple times I finally realize what this is for, to get the menu working properly in the next update right?

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2015, 10:13:46 PM »

After reading and rereading the to do list multiple times I finally realize what this is for, to get the menu working properly in the next update right?

Kind of more than that... in order to even connect to a networked game you need to be able to specify where you are connecting.  In order for me to _test_ connecting to a network game, or even to write anything beyond the initial connection, _I_ needed to be able to specify where to connect.

In the new engine, the network setup is more involved than the old version that you guys play.  In the old version, there wasn't any real account management at all... just a bunch of default stuff that was setup the first time you connected.

To even get networking working in the new engine, I had to do this stuff.  And this was just the "other stuff" list because it moves faster.  The real list is above it that you can't see in that pic.... it's items are a bit more cryptic and even still it's just the "connect to a world and start playing" steps.  It doesn't include any of the actual networking pieces because those are a different to-do list completely (and already better understood because they very much resemble the old engine).

See:

I had to get most of the "Other Things" stuff done before I could proceed past item 4 or so in that list.

Now I need to finish basic character creation... which means I need to get the human male avatar working properly (easier said than done).

After THAT, I can start hooking up actual networking stuff for "playing the game"... to include networked physics and streaming the world database, etc..  At least the entity networking stuff is already done because I open sourced that some time ago.

ebag51
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2015, 10:17:37 PM »

Sorry, I just wanted to better understand what the latest updates were to make me feel better while waiting. (Take your time though these posts were just to make me feel better through understanding.)

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2015, 10:27:14 PM »

Sorry, I just wanted to better understand what the latest updates were to make me feel better while waiting. (Take your time though these posts were just to make me feel better through understanding.)

Yep, and I'm just trying to explain myself better.  Wink
ebag51
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2015, 02:44:15 PM »

So I suppose when the bottom 5 things on the latest list are done you can move on to 6 and below right on the previous list right?

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2015, 04:04:42 PM »

So I suppose when the bottom 5 things on the latest list are done you can move on to 6 and below right on the previous list right?

Nah, it doesn't quite work that way.  Some things are just things I need to remember to do before I can release (like a proper password field) but otherwise don't hold up development.

Right now the thing I'm stuck on is getting the male avatar to work enough to continue.
Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2015, 04:24:29 PM »

Next time, invest in an avatar with pants on. Tongue

ebag51
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2015, 05:21:56 PM »

For character creation in the next update once you have the male avatar working you should give us the option to choose a gender. Tongue

ebag51
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2015, 05:53:14 PM »

Speaking of developments how's life going Paul? How is your family doing? Are you still finding a good balance for work mythruna and them?

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2015, 06:30:51 PM »

For character creation in the next update once you have the male avatar working you should give us the option to choose a gender. Tongue

Of course... what do you think all of this is for?  Wink

ebag51
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2015, 06:34:30 PM »

I feel like we might need a new thread for these update it being 2015 and all. lol Tongue

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2015, 06:35:01 PM »

Speaking of developments how's life going Paul? How is your family doing? Are you still finding a good balance for work mythruna and them?

It's rough.  No balancing at all, really.  I work on whatever presents itself in front of me that I'm able to work on.  My wife still falls down a lot and they want me to travel with her to South Carolina this time so we have to take the kids out of school, pack everyone up into the car, and drive 4 hours for that.  I do not plan to be a very happy person at that meeting.

Day job is painful.  The past three months I've had the worst kind of work to do.  Undocumented, non working code, and trying to make it work with a dozen frameworks I've never used before.  Meanwhile, vacations and network outages of have chopped up the time even further.  Status reports are like almost humorous if they were happening to someone else.

Hopefully I'll get a little Mythruna time this weekend before I get on the road.
ebag51
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2015, 06:39:59 PM »

It's rough.  No balancing at all, really.  I work on whatever presents itself in front of me that I'm able to work on.  My wife still falls down a lot and they want me to travel with her to South Carolina this time so we have to take the kids out of school, pack everyone up into the car, and drive 4 hours for that.  I do not plan to be a very happy person at that meeting.

Day job is painful.  The past three months I've had the worst kind of work to do.  Undocumented, non working code, and trying to make it work with a dozen frameworks I've never used before.  Meanwhile, vacations and network outages of have chopped up the time even further.  Status reports are like almost humorous if they were happening to someone else.

Hopefully I'll get a little Mythruna time this weekend before I get on the road.
I'm sorry to hear that  Sad. I hope you can relax sometime on your trip to South Carolina.
Edit: Sorry for the original version of this post I miss read the post I quoted thus my original post sounded insensitive.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 07:02:16 PM by ebag51 » Logged

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2015, 10:21:45 PM »

I hope you can relax sometime on your trip to South Carolina.

Heheh.  I think I have other plans. Wink
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: