Mythruna
April 20, 2024, 09:14:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Dev in training question  (Read 10076 times)
BigredRm
Donators

<-o Word up goes to that modern man o->

View Profile
« on: January 17, 2015, 01:23:37 PM »

So I have been on the long path of learning to develop gaming environments.
After playing with my rift dk2 and having the tools like unity and blender available I cant stop my self any longer.
I started with learning JavaScript and have moved on to unity tutorials.
I am writing this because Unity using people seem to have a hard on for C# and C++ and I wanted to ask someone like PSpeed why.
Seeing what mythruna can do with JavaScript and assuming JavaScript is the most convenient code to learn.
Why are there not more people making JS scripted game tutorials?
I tried jMonkeyEngine but I am still very confused by the way it is set up.
I would love if there where a jME tutorial for a voxel based game like Mythruna.
I'm getting Blender under control thanks to my hotkey cheatsheet.
I am starting to engineer a cool game idea but I need more 3d game mechanic in JS training.
I have made several 2d shooters and gone through many tutorials on YouTube.
Well, the beat goes on, later.

Visit Iron Island @ 1708,702
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2015, 07:14:48 PM »

A bit of a fundamental correction, Mythruna uses Java not JavaScript... the two are very different.  Java is basically like the cross platform daddy to C#'s bastard child.  I'm sure Unity likes it because they started out as Windows-only and because C# lets you dive down into C++ when you don't care about safety and only care about raw platform-specific speed.  (Platform in that case = CPU and not OS, necessarily)

So, Unity users have a hardon for C# and C++ because that's what Unity uses.

As for jMonkeyEngine, remember that it's Java and not JavaScript there, too.  There are many tutorials.  If you are new to JME (and game programming) then you should really try to do all of them.  There are a few open source voxel engines for JME.  One of them is even downloadable as a plugin through the JME SDK, I guess.  I've never looked at any of them, really.

Good luck with your game programming... it's a very frustrating and rewarding activity. Smiley
BigredRm
Donators

<-o Word up goes to that modern man o->

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2015, 11:43:43 AM »

Im not gonna lie. I am bummed to find out all the jME and mythruna stuff is Java and not JS. I have put allot of effort into understanding the little that I do know about JS. One of the main drivers of me posting the OP is not wanting to learn another language and getting them jumbled in my head. From what I have seen Java is way different than JS and that is discouraging. Oh well, I'm going to keep on keepin on. Maybe in due time this will seem like a trivial impasse.

Visit Iron Island @ 1708,702
Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2015, 12:21:20 PM »

One of the main drivers of me posting the OP is not wanting to learn another language and getting them jumbled in my head.

They say the more languages you know, the better you are at learning new ones and differentiating between them. Not sure if that applies here, though.

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2015, 12:49:54 PM »

One of the main drivers of me posting the OP is not wanting to learn another language and getting them jumbled in my head.

They say the more languages you know, the better you are at learning new ones and differentiating between them. Not sure if that applies here, though.

Yep, it does.

JavaScript is a scripting language... and so let's you do a lot of things loosely that a more formal language won't allow you to get away with.  It's unfortunate that you started there, BigredRm, but it's common enough.

You will have a similar difficulty moving to C# (and especially C++, good lord).  Java and C# are similar enough in language construct... but in many ways Java is "purer".  It has a lot fewer features that were only added to save you a few keystrokes of typing and thus there is less confusing magic.

Whichever path you take, it will be in your best benefit to learn a "real" language in addition to your scripting language chops.  Java and C# at least share similar constructs with JavaScript.  The raw syntax is very similar across all of them since it was based on C.  So at least if () {} will be familiar and so on.
Sean
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2015, 02:30:40 PM »

Im not gonna lie. I am bummed to find out all the jME and mythruna stuff is Java and not JS. I have put allot of effort into understanding the little that I do know about JS. One of the main drivers of me posting the OP is not wanting to learn another language and getting them jumbled in my head. From what I have seen Java is way different than JS and that is discouraging. Oh well, I'm going to keep on keepin on. Maybe in due time this will seem like a trivial impasse.

A lot of developers recommend JS as an intro language along with python and html. So I wouldn't say all of your time was wasted. You'll also notice that at the basic level, js and java share a lot of similarities with each other.

"People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2015, 02:58:01 PM »

A lot of developers recommend JS as an intro language along with python and html. So I wouldn't say all of your time was wasted. You'll also notice that at the basic level, js and java share a lot of similarities with each other.
  _____
√Java = Javascript

Java = Coffee3

I love it.

Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2015, 05:37:42 PM »

I've spent my main time with Java, and I've dabbled into JavaScript/jQuery, and they're rather similar, with java having visibility (public, private, protected) and instead of using "var" they use real class names.
Iggyjeckel
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2015, 06:37:16 AM »

C++ is amazing just admit it paul lol

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2015, 01:00:01 PM »

C++ is amazing just admit it paul lol

It is amazing at some things... like being a huge time sink.
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2015, 09:11:42 PM »

I give it kudos on being extremely quick at processing. I'm not sure if this applies to C++ but I do know it does to C about where to allocate the memory for things, that's a plus on my end, but the fact that you can do so much to put a bug into your program sucks. Garbage collecting destroys the performance somewhat, doesn't it?
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2015, 01:56:21 AM »

I give it kudos on being extremely quick at processing. I'm not sure if this applies to C++ but I do know it does to C about where to allocate the memory for things, that's a plus on my end, but the fact that you can do so much to put a bug into your program sucks. Garbage collecting destroys the performance somewhat, doesn't it?

It depends.  Normally, no.  In fact, a garbage collected system can be much smarter about how it handles memory and so some of your allocations are nearly free and likewise for your "frees".

Sometimes it can be really important to control every detail... and C is very good at that (C++ slightly less so).  For most of us, that level of control rarely matters and is easily wiped out the first time you spend a week trying to find where you've run past the end of a buffer somewhere.  The fact that I used to have a whole mental tool box for tracking down such issues is a real shame... that brain power can be put to much better use.  After all, all of the other common logic bugs one is likely to find in Java apps still apply to C.

Caveat: I liked C a whole lot and still have fond memories.  Java saved me from C++ hell, though... and it will always have a place in my heart for that reason if nothing else.  C++ got so complicated that only the compiler can really understand it anymore.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: