Mythruna
April 28, 2024, 07:42:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Obsticale Course: A cool idea plossible in the current standard build!  (Read 5487 times)
ebag51
Donators

View Profile
« on: January 03, 2015, 07:39:38 PM »

OBSTICALE COURSE!
I can't believe I didn't think of this sooner. You know how if you walk into a wall, look up, and hold jump you start climbing walls of any kind like some sort of super reptilian. These courses could include jumping parkour, mazes swimming and underwater mazes! Players could compete in races on the same course and see who is better at the current controls.

Tell me if you like or hate this idea and if you like it try to help me get some people on the main server in a building contest to make the best obstacle course. I'd love to race in them (as I am not a very artistic builder Tongue ) or see youtube videos of them.

P.S. It would also be cool to include the dolphin jump mechanic (remember where you swim up really far and get a huge jump boost upon reaching the surface) in the races.

P.S.S. Sorry Paul for the most the mechanics that make this idea possible are probably glitches since doing this will show off how they can be used to make something fun.

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2015, 08:04:26 PM »

Random thoughts:

1) you don't have to look up to climb up walls... simply jumping while walking into them works.

2) that is because you are in super-reptilian mode which you can/could actually turn off... or switch to different modes: human, simian, reptilian, all... if that still works then it could make for some interesting courses where you were limited to a mode.

3) only the dolphin jump is a glitch but it's a fun one and we've exploited it a few different ways already.  It used to be even worse.

4) the real super-water jump has to be done by building up momentum against another block over your head and then ducking sideways.  If you do it right, you will shoot higher than you ever could with a simple dolphin jump.

5) for obstacle coursey things... remember that leaf blocks can be hard to stand on properly because their collision shape is smaller than their visibility... also the sloped branches can be difficult to walk on.

...when I was first playing with the angled branches and thinner cylinders I was having lots of fun making parkour/platformer style little courses to test them out.
ebag51
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2015, 08:08:43 PM »

K, ya sorry my memory of how the climb worked was a bit rusty. Just trying to find something interesting to do in multiplayer the server population is just about dead at this point.

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2015, 01:00:07 AM »

K, ya sorry my memory of how the climb worked was a bit rusty. Just trying to find something interesting to do in multiplayer the server population is just about dead at this point.

Yeah, I wasn't criticizing at all... just explaining the mechanic.  I think an obstacle course is a neat idea.
ebag51
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2015, 01:13:32 AM »

Does that mean we can start building the courses soon? I have a good feeling it will at least bring a dozen people on the server at once which would be awesome.

P.S. Still can't wait for adventure mode, NPC village amazing ness and all the other wonderful features of Mythruna. Smiley

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2015, 07:22:43 PM »

Heheh... you guys don't need my permission to make obstacle courses.
Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2015, 10:50:13 PM »

Not to necro or anything(I'm totally necroing), but this is still a good idea... I'm not gonna build it for you, of course, but I can give you some advice if you want. Being artistic a good builder need not be. I've got a terrible art sense myself, but the constraints of voxels makes things very easy to look good. Alot(and I mean ALOT) of voxel building is trial and error. Eventually, you build up a sense... after, like, a year.

Personally, I've been block building since 09' and I'd say I'm somewhere in the top 10% of voxel builders(Essentially, I'm counting anyone that has built something with the intent to impress). That sounds pretty lofty, but it's not. The builders that would normally construct statues like the one I plan to build without creating a blueprint beforehand are in the top ~.02%. There are no more than a few dozen epic builders, but getting to 10% is easy. There are millions in that 10%, but it takes effort to get there. I know you're not predisposed to enjoying building though, so it's more challenging to git gud, without doubt. Who knows, though? Once you get the hang of it, you may come to enjoy the process.

It's spelled "obstacle", btw... for future reference. Smiley

EDIT: I tried drawing some stuff. I'm not as bad as I thought, lol.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 07:52:34 AM by Rayblon » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: