Mythruna
March 18, 2024, 11:08:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Some interesting issues.  (Read 10709 times)
Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« on: February 15, 2015, 09:42:10 AM »

Or rather, observations. Some are bugs, others might be bugs, others, more may just be annoying.

1. Blueprints in multiplayer randomly become invisible to me when I move them. Rejoining fixes it, but I end up having to clean up a bunch of duplicates.(On the topic of blueprints, having alot of blueprints makes opening the blueprint menu a grueling experience.

2. Bottom wood floors have no sound when walked on directly; jumping will make a step sound.

3. Occasionally, lighting is permanently altered in an area. For instance, I have a dungeon that had magic lights in it; however, the lights have long since been removed. despite that, some areas with dim lighting are permanently bright. There is a temporary fix by placing a light in the exact spot of the old one and breaking it, but it always returns.

4. Inferno objects have ridiculously small hitboxes.

5. Sometimes when I rejoin the server, an object menu pops up immediately.

6. When walking on terrain that has you stepping over water, but not into it, you will hear the sound heard when you wade through water.

7.Transitional periods like sunset and sunrise seem to be incredibly dark.

8. Looking at thatch through fire makes the fire invisible.

9. When underwater, looking directly down at wood planks causes some intense rendering artifacts. Most noticeable from afar. EDIT: It may be from any cardinal direction, actually.

10. Dirt slopes seem to behave like slabs of some description. Unsure if that applies elsewhere.

11. After going afk for a little bit, the chat occassionally breaks.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 11:16:47 AM by Rayblon » Logged

Sean
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 11:54:24 AM »

We spent a good few minutes trying to delete a pure inferno object... without success.

"People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 12:52:21 PM »

Or rather, observations. Some are bugs, others might be bugs, others, more may just be annoying.

1. Blueprints in multiplayer randomly become invisible to me when I move them. Rejoining fixes it, but I end up having to clean up a bunch of duplicates.(On the topic of blueprints, having alot of blueprints makes opening the blueprint menu a grueling experience.

I've never heard of the first one... leaving the area and coming back may also fix it.  None of this code is the same in the new engine... so it will likely have entirely new bugs.

2. Bottom wood floors have no sound when walked on directly; jumping will make a step sound.

They will sometimes make the sound of the block underneath them.  A tiny bug I hadn't felt like fixing.  None of this code is the same in the new engine.

3. Occasionally, lighting is permanently altered in an area. For instance, I have a dungeon that had magic lights in it; however, the lights have long since been removed. despite that, some areas with dim lighting are permanently bright. There is a temporary fix by placing a light in the exact spot of the old one and breaking it, but it always returns.

If you find the right place to put the light then you can sometimes remove it.  Usually I use the lighting info in the debug display to find the brightest empty block and then place a light there and remove it.  Eventually you can get most/all of the errant light blocks to go away.

It has to do with how lights are removed from the world without having to recalculate the whole lighting solution for the area.  A bug somewhere.

...none of this code is the same in the new engine and I think it has entirely different lighting bugs.

4. Inferno objects have ridiculously small hitboxes.

Their hit boxes are normal size.  If they are in blueprint objects then they have no hitbox at all.  Hard lesson: don't use inferno only blocks. Smiley

...I had to make special server admin commands to remove objects with in a radius of myself to help people remove a bunch of inferno-only blocks.

This will happen in the new engine, too, and I will probably someday "fix" it by just not allowing you to do it.

5. Sometimes when I rejoin the server, an object menu pops up immediately.

Yeah, the pop-ups happen because the menu options are "attached" to your player entity.  Sometimes they aren't removed properly when the menu is closed and so you will see the menu again when you join.  None of this code is the same in the new engine.

6. When walking on terrain that has you stepping over water, but not into it, you will hear the sound heard when you wade through water.

Only for lower wood planks, I think.

7.Transitional periods like sunset and sunrise seem to be incredibly dark.

Yep.  a) it's a hard issue to fix, and b) I don't mind it so much.  As someone who has stayed up through many a sunrise, the world does appear darker right before the sun comes up.  It's not actually darker but the contrast between slightly brightening sky and still dark world makes it harder to see.  I kind of like that there are some super-dark periods of danger... they only last a short time.

8. Looking at thatch through fire makes the fire invisible.

Yep.  Kind of no way around it.  Transparency sorting is a pain and something's gotta give.

9. When underwater, looking directly down at wood planks causes some intense rendering artifacts. Most noticeable from afar. EDIT: It may be from any cardinal direction, actually.

Is it similar to glass blocks?

10. Dirt slopes seem to behave like slabs of some description. Unsure if that applies elsewhere.

I don't know what "behaves like" means in this case.

11. After going afk for a little bit, the chat occassionally breaks.

"breaks" how?
Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2015, 01:08:00 PM »

6. If you stand on the edge of a block at water level it happens too.

9. No, it's like the shaders or something arw going crazy. iT'll start going crazy with checkerboarding blackspots and such. i could get some screencaps of it, if you want.

10. Suffice to say, they only look wheelchair friendly.

11. Like, you can build, destroy things, stalk people in their homes... but nothing can be said or heard. Same for commands. ~escape doedn't even work.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: