Mythruna
March 28, 2024, 04:35:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Client Side Cubechange  (Read 10078 times)
Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« on: February 16, 2015, 09:35:53 AM »

Ive been working cleairing out a massive ocean, as some of you know... and it's slow. I'm able to shovel out about 10,000-15,000 blocks in a day, but, ultimately, that's several months of work. I've come to terms with the fact that this will  likely be difficult to do, so I wanted to do some collaboration with the Java literate people here.

I'll also forgive you for not coming to the anniversary party if you help. :\
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 09:53:41 AM by Rayblon » Logged

Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 09:40:40 AM »

I guess the first issue to discuss is how it will identify the area that needs to be cleared. (Perhaps a few if then calculations using inequalities... if that's something you can use.)

After that, we need to figure out how to clear it.

Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 09:58:15 AM »

The land that needs clearing has borders that are perfectly aligned with leaf borders. If it helps, simply automatically destroying blocks in the leaf you're in may do the trick. Including a wait of 20 ms between breaks should make it server friendly.

Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 10:02:38 AM »

I'm going to try to make this, and I'll probably limit the area size (to avoid crashing servers & clients, because Paul wouldn't be too happy).
Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 10:35:12 AM »

I'm going to try to make this, and I'll probably limit the area size (to avoid crashing servers & clients, because Paul wouldn't be too happy).

Will it be able to remove water? Cheesy

Also thank you  so much for working on this. ;-;
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 10:40:51 AM by Rayblon » Logged

Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2015, 10:50:18 AM »

I'll see what I can do. I'm doing a bunch of looking stuff over. lul. It'll take me a while, though.
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2015, 03:41:25 PM »

There's good news and bad news. Smiley

Good News: I got the Single Player CubeChange working!

Bad News: Apparently Paul doesn't allow client mods on servers for the 20120627.
Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2015, 03:45:04 PM »

Bad News: Apparently Paul doesn't allow client mods on servers for the 20120627.

ffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.........

uuuuuuuuuu......

*gasp*

uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu....

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2015, 03:51:01 PM »

I don't think that's true.  I think your definition of a client mod might be incorrect.

CubeChange is a back-end set of scripts... so it has to be on the server in multiplayer.  It's just that in single player, the "server" is running locally and without a network connection.

A true client mod would be a local console command that calls into the world object to set blocks that way.

On the server, I already have the ability to clear entire leafs, I just don't have the time to walk around and do it 90 times or whatever... nor do I think such world-destroying behavior should be as easy as "Beg Paul a bunch".  Even though the starship enterprise that someone added is pretty cool... that player destroyed plenty of the world up until that point.  And created many odd and strange things besides.

Anyway, part of me feels fine making people work at such huge efforts... everyone will appreciate it that much more.  The stuff that has been created by Rayblon and crew is that much more impressive precisely because it was created by hand.

All that said, if a client-side scripter grows out of this dilemma then that's ok, too.
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2015, 04:00:48 PM »

When I was speaking of this, I was thinking more locally to literally the client itself. I did have my doubts about it working on the server (because server side plugin stuff) but anyways, thanks for clearing stuff up for us, Paul. (At least I made a somewhat working mod)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: