Mythruna
April 20, 2024, 05:18:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Reptile Notes  (Read 3824 times)
Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« on: February 26, 2015, 07:34:59 PM »

Yay for CTRL+UP SHIFT+T!

These are random notes I'm taking on lizards, not reptiles. I'm writing them down here because I need them for something I'm writing. I thought the notes were interesting enough to share. I (mostly) focused on more recent research and sources due to poor caretaking practices for subjects prior. I cited as much as I can(And made sure they were reliable). The stuff I didn't cite was either obvious or something that is easily observed, like the monitor lizard's ability to balance on their hind legs.

- Exotherms, meaning they must regulate their temperature by changing environment.

- The vast majority of lizards are social creatures -- Being raised in isolation can increase stress, adversely affect activity levels, severely affect cognition, and cause extreme social aversion/fear/aggression directed toward unfamiliar subjects.

- All lizards can experience basic emotions like fear, aggression, anxiety, and calm. Most lizards can experience pleasure and displeasure and do not simply respond to stimuli based on reflex or instinct(Does not always apply to juveniles of a Family).

- Lizards are not solely driven by instinct. They are capable of strategizing and planning, though the extent of this planning depends on the species and enrichment of the lizard.(Once again, juveniles are a different story)

- Higher order lizards(and tortoises), like the Varanidae Family and chameleon, are capable of building emotional attachments to non-caretaker individuals. This can be easily defined as why some lizards get excited when certain people are near. Behavioral and chemical responses are slightly similar to that of the supposedly human emotion of love, but of course, a tad simpler.

- Female alligators and skinks display distinct parenting and family behaviors, and can identify individuals that are from their 'family'. Most lizards can identify specific humans as well. It is unknown if it is instinctual or out of concern for the young.

- Temperature affects metabolism -- Higher temp = faster bodily processes

- Healing of wounds is much slower than in mammals d/t slower metabolism. This also means injuries are far deadlier for them. Higher temperatures speed up healing. First aid is the same as in mammal, for the most part.

- Lizards can regenerate limbs and generally have simple teeth that are regrown as needed. It's also interesting to note that humans have the 'regeneration gene' as well, though it is dormant past infancy.

- Lizards generally don't use their 'hands' to interact with objects, only using their mouths to transport objects or to break the shell of a snail, for instance. That said, it is not an anatomical limitation(Though they do have poor traction). Rather, despite their intelligence, using their forelegs as tools is 'impossible'. This may be subject to change as zoological educational techniques advance.

- The tail and 'hands/feet' of even a large lizard can be used for locomotion up vertical surfaces like a tree, with those possessing prehensile tails capable of using it to help them secure their position on an anchor.

- Small, bidaily meals will greatly decrease growth of a lizard versus large weekly or even biweekly meals, despite similar overall quantity. They do not, however, affect the health of the lizard. This may be attributed to an increase in metabolism.

- Yes, monitor lizards will stand on their hind legs if they need to. I haven't actually seen any other Family of lizard do it, so there may be others that can/will do it.

- Tortoises and most lizards can identify landmarks and navigate using landmarks. In addition, in the case of the Barnes radial maze test of a side-blotched lizard and a red footed tortoise, they will navigate the maze without ever re-entering a passage they tried previously. In addition, when the landmarks are removed, they both began methodically navigating the maze and still never re-entered a passage. They navigated the maze without using their sense of smell.

- If the humidity is too high or too low, a lizard may experience respiratory issues, skin disorders, and have complications when shedding.

- Lizards can sneeze and yawn. Yawning may be social as well("contagious yawning").

- As with many other reptiles, they breathe using their costal muscles, the same ones they use for walking since they lack a diaphragm. Consequently, they can't do anything physically demanding for extended periods of time. This is why they are frequently seen taking breaks while walking. However, bipedal navigation and avoiding sigmoidal(S shaped) locomotion greatly decreases the issue.

- Lizards lack facial muscles. They have lips but they are immobile.

Sources:
- Ballen, C., Shine, R., and Olsson, M. (2014). Effects of early social isolation on the behaviour and performance of juvenile lizards, Chamaeleo calyptratus. Animal Behaviour 88: 1-6. doi: 10.1016/j.anbehav.2013.11.010.

- http://vetmed.tamu.edu/news/pet-talk/reptile-emotions#.VO-FxfnF-GR

- http://inpractice.bmj.com/content/35/3/123.full.pdf+html

- http://www.anapsid.org/emergency/firstaid.html

- http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/19/science/coldblooded-does-not-mean-stupid.html?_r=0

- http://rsbl.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/8/6/939
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 02:36:22 PM by Rayblon » Logged

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 11:51:07 PM »

Interesting.

My main takeaway: lower temperature = slower healing.  I can use that. Smiley  It's obvious in retrospect but it never occurred to me.  Though I guess they will die slower, too, if bleeding out.
Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2015, 03:23:19 PM »

- Most reptiles can survive at temperatures down to 50 degrees, but they get lethargic at a constantly low temperature.

- Temperature has a direct correlation with their cognition; most reptiles perform terribly in cognitive tests when they are chilled, but perform much better at an elevated temperature.

- Reptiles are normally a higher temperature than their environment... not because of their thermoregulation, but rather because all of their metabolic processes produce heat, if only a little.

- Some reticulated pythons can shiver to raise their body temperature. Though it is metabolically costly, it is... rather efficient. Theoretically, lizards can do it too... but it may interfere with respiration to a rather negligible degree.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 01:20:34 AM by Rayblon » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: