Mythruna
March 28, 2024, 02:27:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Crenelations...  (Read 8515 times)
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« on: March 22, 2015, 11:06:52 PM »

Been playing Dragon Age here and there over the last two weekends.  After getting some other stuff working with the character creator, I decided to play a little and take some inspiration from some crenelation I saw in Dragon Age.  A bit more massive than my normal castle tops:

I still have some ideas on how to make it even more interesting... but I'll save those for another play time.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 11:17:50 PM »

I lied... I couldn't resist playing one more time... trying out two different styles just to see:

Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2015, 11:38:05 PM »

If you're looking for opinions... I prefer the second one. It's so dramatic and elaborate looking, though, from an engineering standpoint, the design leaves it more vulnerable to being damaged despite the seemingly fortified base. Nevertheless, very interesting.

Say, do you think circular towers will ever be able to compare?

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2015, 11:44:46 PM »

Not sure what you mean about round towers.

The second one is definitely better... that's the point. Smiley  I just can't decide if I like the side with solid stone or the side with the mix cobble... the left side ties together better  but the right side is more interesting.  I just need a good way to tie the cobble in better maybe.  When I add stone-knit-corner blocks maybe I'll revisit.

As far as strength, the very tips are bound to be weaker but overall, presuming those are solid stone chunks, I think it could be more resilient than regular squared off crenelations on the bottom.  Glancing blows are less likely to take a corner off.

The Dragon Age version had square fronts at the top.  I took a screen grab while I was playing.  Maybe I'll post it for reference some time.
Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 07:08:33 AM »

Well, it's alot harder to make parts for a circular tower, I guess. Even I don't know how I'd pull off putting tower #2 into a rounded form.

Teknonick

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2015, 07:50:42 PM »

Well, it's alot harder to make parts for a circular tower, I guess. Even I don't know how I'd pull off putting tower #2 into a rounded form.

Try playing any other voxel game that isn't square-based, and your'll see exactly how it cane be done. lol

I do like Tower#2. Maybe you need more stone-types to work with?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: