Mythruna
March 29, 2024, 05:36:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8
  Print  
Author Topic: Productive tangents...  (Read 78108 times)
Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 20, 2015, 06:42:16 AM »

This is really coming along. I'll definitely play it with you guys when it becomes multiplayer. I hope you add ship customization soon.  Smiley

Gotta have dat bling bling.

I wonder if there will be skins or something too. It'd be cool being able to deck out my ship's exterior with leopard print or something.

Moonkey

This is probably a picture.

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 20, 2015, 01:36:54 PM »

Started building the main menu tonight and got distracted by styling...

Main menu:
[snip]

Multiplayer menu:
[snip]

I thought the first picture showed the menu with bunny ear antennae. xD

The menu still feels retro. Maybe it's just the whole "new asteroids game" thing getting into my head. Ahh well, can't wait for the first release, as usual. :3

I only just realized you meant "retro" as in "bad". Smiley

It's kind of supposed to be retro-future... like what people imagined the future might have been like in the 1980s or something.

Actually, I had an odd thought for a theme of going full future-retro and giving it a 1940s vibe complete with WW2 like propaganda posters... the only problem is that I've never written big band music before but it would be pretty fun to blast asteroids to. Smiley

But I didn't! D:

The logo looks like the opening screen for an 80s sci-fi flick, is all. I'm cool with that. xD

Eheheh... personally, I never can get behind music from before the 70s, and even then I kind of prefer classical over that music. Perhaps a  long wave radio is in order. :p

I've heard that no matter what a writer does, their work will always reflect the issues of their generation... Kafka, Poe, Hemmingway... to list a few, were all busy writing the worlds' and their own problems away.

... Speaking of world issues, you may have heard that lots of consumers aren't exactly pleased with the AAA game developers as of late. Sony and Microsoft both faltered with their next gen system releases, Nintendo is getting a bad rap over their YouTube policy, paid DLC is running rampant, microtransactions in MK10, and Nintendo's 'Amiibo' scheme... To name a few issues. It is said that the tides will be shifting soon. Only time will tell just where they will shift, but we may see indie game developers take center stage.
Indie game developers have taken center stage for awhile now. To name the obvious, Minecraft and Terraria. Be ready for the crowdfunded AAA StarCitizen though!

Mythruna: Don't you dare read any posts I made before 2014.
Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 26, 2015, 03:55:51 PM »

it has been three weeks. :O

(And four days without a post!)

*tumbleweed*
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 04:05:03 PM by Rayblon » Logged

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 26, 2015, 05:57:24 PM »

Three weeks since this blog post started but only one seek since the last significant update in this thread.

...then I've been swamped at work getting through a deadline.

Yesterday I added a bunch of networking stuff to jMonkeyEngine.  So I have not been idle.  That stuff is just not that exciting to post here. Smiley
Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 26, 2015, 06:00:12 PM »

Three weeks since this blog post started but only one seek since the last significant update in this thread.

Yesterday I added a bunch of networking stuff to jMonkeyEngine.  So I have not been idle.  That stuff is just not that exciting to post here. Smiley

Isn't the networking the beef of the project? Tongue

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 26, 2015, 06:12:49 PM »

Isn't the networking the beef of the project? Tongue

Yeah, but this isn't really the interesting stuff.

I got tired of rewriting the same "wiring" code every time I want to add some service to my servers.  So I added a real service model to jMonkeyEngine's network library that makes it easy to add new features to clients/servers as services.

For ESpace, next thing is to get the basic client/server up and running with a simple chat system.  That will give me all of the connectivity I need to start putting the physics networking in.  There is some communication that happens during initial connection setup, etc. that is separate (and simpler) than the physics messages.

...and now those parts are easier to write.  Actually, even in its partially implemented form I was able to add a chat service using only a dozen lines of code or so (and two classes) where as before it would have been 4-5 classes and hundreds of lines of redundant-feeling boiler plate code.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 26, 2015, 06:13:37 PM »

...and today I've been back to day-job work again because my deadline is in the morning.

Yesterday the network was down so I used that as an excuse to do my own thing.
Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 26, 2015, 06:21:56 PM »

...and now those parts are easier to write.  Actually, even in its partially implemented form I was able to add a chat service using only a dozen lines of code or so (and two classes) where as before it would have been 4-5 classes and hundreds of lines of redundant-feeling boiler plate code.

This is actually really interesting to me right here, and part of the why [I think] you're so amazing. You're so efficient. xD

The backend stuff is really important if my memory serves, so I get a *bit* more excited about backend stuff because it's a big deal for future development. In a sense, I get excited over your job (of developing the game) getting 'easier'.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 06:38:27 PM by Rayblon » Logged

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 28, 2015, 09:56:45 PM »

Tonight I had some time so I'm trying to get the chat stuff working... playing with look and feel at the moment:

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 28, 2015, 10:05:43 PM »

Gave the text semi-transparent black background and tweaked the colors a bit:

Note: this will be in the background while the player configures their name/ship/whatever... when the game finally starts the chat messages may shrink.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 28, 2015, 10:35:57 PM »

And for the curious, this is what it looked like before I lined up the names:

...ugly.
Teknonick

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 29, 2015, 09:37:18 AM »

Oh hey, are those lowercase letters I see? I thought you hated those,  Grin
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 29, 2015, 09:46:57 AM »

Oh hey, are those lowercase letters I see? I thought you hated those,  Grin

I have no idea what you are talking about. Wink
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 29, 2015, 03:24:07 PM »

Is that the Neuropol X font? I downloaded that font for use. Wink
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 06:59:15 PM by CoderMusgrove » Logged
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 29, 2015, 06:42:40 PM »

Is that the Neuropolo X font? I downloaded that font for use. Wink

Yeah, I still have to go back and make sure I can use it because it's part of a font bundle that I paid for.  But I guess if you were able to download it then it must have a liberal license.

Edit: note, for a commercial game I can use it but since I will be open sourcing the 'lite' version, I need to make sure to use assets that can be used in that free-for-use setting.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8
  Print  

Jump to: