Mythruna
March 28, 2024, 03:48:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mythruna RP Handbook Part 2  (Read 8859 times)
Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« on: April 06, 2015, 10:39:59 AM »

Crystal Energy

Energy crystals are used as storage units for magic. For the purpose of this game, there are different minerals that are more receptive to specific energies than others. Any specific crystal has varying degrees of charge rates, charging capacity, and elemental paradigms; depending on its' quality and composition. For example, a flawless aquamarine would have a high charge rate and capacity, but only released cold energy, while a heavily contaminated aquamarine may charge more slowly but be more usable for casting other spells. There will be a table of crystals later on.

Combat

Combat is intended to be a versatile and dynamic scenario within the story. In this world, you can use a canonical sword and shield... or you could defend yourself with your own scabbard, or go MMA style and smash the iron throne on your prey.

Combat is NOT -- emphasis on not -- intended to be the hallmark of the experience, though. Combat is what happens when diplomacy fails. I can assure you now, that the denizens of a real medieval world aren't trying to cut down every person that looks at them funny or cracks a bad joke. Everyone would be dead if that were the case; while mindless slaughter can be amusing, it's hardly sustainable. That's basically the only rule for the DM outside of their deity's restrictions; don't get overzealous with combat scenarios.

Speed in Combat

After some thought (okay, alot of thought),  I've concluded that the best course of action for combat is not turn based. It packs on more math for the DM to finangle with, but gives rogues and other combatants that carry light the edge they need to win battles. I'll create a formula for turn speeds soon.

Attacks and Actions in Combat

As stated in the introduction for this section, combat in this game is a no-holds-barred kind of deal. However, there are checks that will determine your success in combat. These checks vary depending on the climate of the battle, but often result in not-so-perfect victories. Synergy is very important, here.

Combat Arts

Combat arts are unique attacks that you must create for yourself when you master the stats(reach level 50) that are key to the attack. These can be anything so long as the cost and benefit are balanced. For instance, one art may be "Hephaestus' Spear", an elemental magic technique that creates a smoldering, earthen spear capable of devastating one opponent and inflicting prolonged fire damage. This skill would likely require mastery of heat and earth, as well as high Enthal to create the spear, and would likely deplete a great amount of life energy from those with low Enthal; it would likely require high dexterity to throw it accurately, as well. You have the option of creating an ultimate art, which is an intensely powerful ability, but there will be consequences when you use it.

Combat Calculations

Combat isn't strictly mathematical -- in an well choreographed fight, you aren't just smacking eachother in an open field as games like Final Fantasy would have you believe. In pencil and paper battles you should reach a depth of interaction with the environment that has yet to be surpassed by any video game. In short, stats shouldn't be everything. This isn't a video game, so it shouldn't have rules as rigid as one. If there is a desperate combat situation, throwing a spray of dust in your opponents eyes when you're on your knees may win you a battle, rather than overwhelming strength. Consider this a reminder that ingenuity is just as effective as skill, in these kinds of games.

Deities

Deity choices can be found here.

The party is guided by an unseen force. Some call these forces gods, others call it fate, and others more call it chaos. The guide is not all-powerful, however. Paths are chosen, fates met and sealed, but as their guardian and guide, you have the power to shatter the die and allow the party to defy fate. However, the balance must be preserved, and the tools of the deities are finite.

There are many deities that may choose to bless the party, but only one will preside over the party during their journey. Each presiding deity has different tools, in different quantities, to aid the party, but they all have a similar objective. The people you have tasked yourself to protect as their presiding deity must see their journey through, by any means possible, and you are not simply a bystander. Though they may not be immediately aware of you, the world takes notice of your actions.

These actions have been given title by those who have taken notice of the guardian deities, themselves. However, these abilities should be used with great care. A deity's protection becoming apparent is a significant risk to a deity. Subtlety and discretion is key, so that the party doesn't discover you and try to control you... unless you trust them.

If a party member gains enough divine insight and can correctly identify the presiding deity, they can take control and use the remaining abilities at their own discretion, or move on with greater understanding of their circumstances. When divine insight exceeds 100 for any party member, they can attempt to identify or assume control of the deity. It is for this reason that extreme care must be taken by the deity to use their abilities wisely, lest a greedy member of the party use them all to their own ends. Each time divine insight is gained, a magic sense roll is made. If the magic sense roll is successful, then that party member gets double the divine insight, off of the base value for each ability(I.E a mercy meeting the criteria for 20 DI points would still only yield 10 more insight). In addition, a high power stat will give you a % chance to resist a party member assuming control(1% for every 5 power).

Before divine insight can be gained, however, the party member must be aware of some sort of presence; they have to see something that should be impossible, first.  After witnessing the first impossible event, they are granted divine awareness. That is when they are a palpable threat to the power of the deity.

Mercies

Some deities can issue forth divine protection to shield members of the party from harm for one turn. Mercies can be pooled, or can be limited to a certain number for each party member. I.E a 12 mercy pool means you can use those 12 mercies on anyone, a 2 mercy limit on an individual means you can only use two mercies on each person, however.

Mercies cannot be used outside of combat,  and are only effective against attacks, not the environment. Mercies need not be used exclusively on party members, either. If someone close to anyone in the party is in peril, the presiding deity can elect to shield them as well.

Ten divine insight is given to anyone that can see the mercy taking place. If the attack you shield someone from would have decreased their health below -5%, then divine insight is raised by 20.

Blessing | Hexing

Blessings and hexings apply debuffs or buffs to individuals or entire groups of individuals. For every hexed enemy, the party gains five DI if they have divine awareness. If an enemy that a party member is currently engaging is hexed, they will gain divine awareness and ten DI instead of five. Blessings are unnoticeable by the reciever, so if a member of the party is blessed by the deity, only the other party members will notice; they will gain ten DI, regardless of the number of people that get blessed at one time.

Divine Intervention

Some deities have the power to alter the course of the party's journey, but divine intervention is no simple task. It is an exchange by the gods; a shift in balance that must be paid in blood, in time. Divine intervention allows a deity to directly intervene and prevent a significantly detrimental event from taking place, at the cost of a slightly less significant beneficial event in the future(I.E a party member is saved from a bad dexterity roll when about to fall from a cliff, but loses a perfect roll on another check elsewhere. That lost possibility is called the Devil's Due, and if the debt is not paid during the campaign, then the party will suffer it at the end of their journey. Alternatively, divine intervention can be used to directly interact with the party; like forcing them to take a specific path by causing a forest fire, or manifesting a fruit tree if the party is starving.

Depending on the nature of the intervention and placement of the devil's due, no divine insight may be gained. However, if the intervention is severe enough, party members that witness it may gain as much as 40 DI points and divine awareness.  Allotment of DI points during divine interventions is best done after consulting a third party.

A devil's due that is not paid will empower the final enemies the party faces by 10% for each unpaid due. Don't be afraid of letting that happen; well used interventions may more than offset the added challenge at the end.

Godly Strike

Empower a party member's weapon and arm with your power, for a single attack. These empowerments may vary depending on which deity it is and what they choose to imbue the attack with. Godly strikes have varying degrees of piercing depending on the deity, and the base attack power of a godly strike is the sum of the god's power rating and the attack roll of the person's strike.

Depending on the nature of the strike, it can be extremely noticeable. The base DI gain for the affected party member is 20, while witnesses to a godly strike gain half that. Empowering a warrior that is using a normal broadsword with a fire strike when they have no fire affinity will instantly give them divine awareness and triple divine insight and double insight and awareness to witnesses, so if you care to keep control of your powers, you'll only empower strikes with corresponding elements. Non-magic attacks can be empowered with gravity relatively safely.

Causality Break

A powerful ability that is rarely seen among any of the gods. Fates seen through, broken, made into pretense. An event begins anew, and time is turned back for the party. Causality breaks allow the deity to bring the party back to a recent point in time, to try again. Everyone in the party will retain memories of what was reversed, gains divine awareness, and 99 DI points. Any party members that were killed before a causality break was performed gains 300 divine insight. It is a great risk for any guardian's sovereignty, but one well worth it for a god endeared to a party in peril. There must be at least one survivor in the party for a deity to perform a causality break.

Manifest

The ultimate and final action of a deity's guardianship. The guardian deity takes their place at the party's side in battle! All their remaining mercies, interventions, godly strikes, and causality breaks are sacrificed and converted to turns on the battlefield(1, 2, 1, and 3 turns, respectively). The bond between party and deity becomes your power as well. For every 100 divine insight possessed by the party, another turn is granted to the deity.

Once a deity manifests, they can use all of their powers liberally and converse with the party as they see fit. If the deity was controlled by a party member, it has another chance to resist control when manifested. They can shrug off virtually any attack, consistently deliver devastating attacks and deal punishing debuffs and powerful buffs, depending on the deity.

Manifestation can technically occur at any time, but discretion is key to making use of this. Somatic deities have no restriction on manifestation times, but will never choose to accompany the party indefinitely and prefer to avoid that kind of intervention at all costs.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 09:24:41 AM by Rayblon » Logged

Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 09:01:21 PM »

I made some modest additions to this.

Where is ebag anyway? >:I

ebag51
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2015, 12:51:16 PM »

Sorry been busy I'm back now

Duff_Beer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2015, 03:42:11 AM »

So are combat arts like your signature move or something? Your own special K.O attack? 
Cause it sounds pretty much like mortal combat style finishing moves from what I have read.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2015, 04:08:49 AM »

So are combat arts like your signature move or something? Your own special K.O attack? 
Cause it sounds pretty much like mortal combat style finishing moves from what I have read.

Note: this thread has nothing to do with the Mythruna computer game.
Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2015, 07:32:21 AM »

The combat art can be anything. For my first RP, I plan for my combat art to just be a healing move.

Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2016, 02:01:03 PM »

First major addition in a while. I fleshed out the concept of deities and want to give DMs a place in the narrative with the added benefit of regulating how they can interact with the numbers. Deities are extremely powerful, but have to balance between aiding the party and keeping them from gaining enough insight to channel them and hijack their powers. It's kind of like a failsafe, if a DM starts wasting their abilities.

There will be several deity types when the concept is completed; proto-deities(elementalists, manifest as their element or elemental meldings/harmonies, high magic focus), Meta-deities(Synergists and saboteurs, ethereal manifestations, no direct attacks), Sclero-deities(Extremely vulnerable to being controlled, high physical low magic, manifested from surrounding materials, similarly to a Takwin; powerful summoner) and somato-deities(Generalists, always manifested, but only intervene when absolutely necessary, less abilities, but very difficult to channel, balanced magic and physical attacks, biological, can regenerate health). They will each have their strengths and weaknesses, save for the wildcard deity, Anima. The presiding deity would normally be voted upon before a campaign, but the first test campaign will be run using Anima so I can play around with everything and see how the abilities feel.

At this point in time, everything is subject to change, but I'm definitely interested to see how people receive the guardian deity concept.

I'll probably be doing some formatting to clean up the guide a bit and make it easier to follow.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 02:29:45 PM by Rayblon » Logged

Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2016, 03:31:32 PM »

Once I figure out the combat system, I'll probably try simulating a fight to see how calculations play out.

Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2016, 10:15:59 AM »

Added the deities Phenlaeth and Lidomel in this thread.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: