Mythruna
March 19, 2024, 01:01:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: question about the download server pack  (Read 7019 times)
Duff_Beer

View Profile
« on: July 03, 2015, 12:00:04 AM »

So I downloaded the server pack and it is asking me if I want to replace what I already have there.

I am not sure what that means.  Does that mean that I am replacing the current online server with another one?

Cause when I sign into the current online server it looks like you can change which server your on from there.
It gives you a game host link and a port number. I assumed downloading the server would just change the port number or something.
But its asking me to replace the entire mythruna folder.  Is there something I am doing wrong here?
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2015, 12:25:41 AM »

So I downloaded the server pack and it is asking me if I want to replace what I already have there.

I am not sure what that means.  Does that mean that I am replacing the current online server with another one?

Cause when I sign into the current online server it looks like you can change which server your on from there.
It gives you a game host link and a port number. I assumed downloading the server would just change the port number or something.
But its asking me to replace the entire mythruna folder.  Is there something I am doing wrong here?

Wait, are you trying to unzip this into the same place you already have Mythruna?  Don't do that.  They are completely/100%/totally/without-a-doubt different applications and should be unzipped into entirely completely different totally separate places.

Else, I don't know what you mean.

I thought someone went through this click-by-click already but I guess not.  So just to be sure...

Go to:
http://mythruna.com/download-now/

Scroll down to the bottom of the page.  It will look like this:

Click on the "Mythruna-Server" link for your platform.  Assuming you are on Windows, click this one:

When it asks you where to save it, pick somewhere... maybe make a special directory for it.  Maybe "Mythruna-Server" or something.  Or download it to your "Games" directory.  I don't know.  (Frankly anyone reading this that can't figure out that part probably should wait before running their own server.)

Unzip it into its own directory.  If you didn't make a Mythruna-Server directory before then make one now and unzip the contents into there.  DO NOT UNZIP IT OVER YOU EXISTING MYTHRUNA CLIENT.  That makes no sense... so don't do it.  Seriously, do not do that.  Also, make sure you don't do that... and if you think you might want to do that, see the previous sentences. Wink

So now that it is unzipped into a completely different brand new directory that did not exist before and contained no existing mythruna stuff whatsoever.  Double click the server exe.

Follow the other instructions already provided.
Duff_Beer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2015, 03:52:49 AM »

Wait, are you trying to unzip this into the same place you already have Mythruna?  Don't do that.  They are completely/100%/totally/without-a-doubt different applications and should be unzipped into entirely completely different totally separate places.

Else, I don't know what you mean.

I thought someone went through this click-by-click already but I guess not.  So just to be sure...

Go to:
http://mythruna.com/download-now/

Scroll down to the bottom of the page.  It will look like this:

Click on the "Mythruna-Server" link for your platform.  Assuming you are on Windows, click this one:

When it asks you where to save it, pick somewhere... maybe make a special directory for it.  Maybe "Mythruna-Server" or something.  Or download it to your "Games" directory.  I don't know.  (Frankly anyone reading this that can't figure out that part probably should wait before running their own server.)

Unzip it into its own directory.  If you didn't make a Mythruna-Server directory before then make one now and unzip the contents into there.  DO NOT UNZIP IT OVER YOU EXISTING MYTHRUNA CLIENT.  That makes no sense... so don't do it.  Seriously, do not do that.  Also, make sure you don't do that... and if you think you might want to do that, see the previous sentences. Wink

So now that it is unzipped into a completely different brand new directory that did not exist before and contained no existing mythruna stuff whatsoever.  Double click the server exe.

Follow the other instructions already provided.

Thanks for saving me from a huge mistake.  I was indeed yes about to override the actual mythruna stuff. Wasn't aware they were two different applications.  Glad I asked here first before I screwed anything up.  I'll go make a new folder especially for this server download then.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2015, 08:47:25 AM »

Thanks for saving me from a huge mistake.  I was indeed yes about to override the actual mythruna stuff. Wasn't aware they were two different applications.  Glad I asked here first before I screwed anything up.  I'll go make a new folder especially for this server download then.

Yeah, it would have wiped out your single player world.  It's why I was so adamant about avoiding it since you hadn't done it yet.

The new engine manages to avoid this issue because it keeps all worlds centrally and each one gets its own directory... and by default the server will have its own set of them.  (This is one of the reasons I can't so easily release new versions of the new engine because they don't each get their own single world anymore... they share them.  It means I have to finalize some world-related stuff else I potentially break backwards compatibility often.)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: