Mythruna
March 28, 2024, 12:22:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New build 20110922 - Property System  (Read 9549 times)
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« on: September 22, 2011, 04:22:05 AM »

Download here: http://mythruna.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Engine_Test_Build
Change log here: http://mythruna.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=20110922_Release_Notes

So the big feature of this build is the new property system.  It's about 80% complete at this point and I'm sure we're all bound to find lots of bugs with it.  (In fact, I already found one in testing after release... but not serious enough to delay for now.)

Every player starts with one stronghold that they can place where they like.  The maximum area is 1024 square meters... or about 32x32.

Right clicking on any of the markers will bring up a radial menu that lets you do stuff with it.

'p' brings up the property tab and you can see your holdings though this interface is only mildly helpful for strongholds right now.  It will tell you what the current area size is.

Big note: I do reserve the right at this early stage to remove and/or move property borders as we work out the kinks of the system... and/or if people snag property that I know who already built something there.

Also: I've grabbed all of Spawntown which makes some of your buildings uneditable until I implement the ability to give out plots.  Please be patient while I get that feature implemented but in the mean time I have a lot less griefing to fix now.

Some limitations:
-the property system is essentially 2D.  A town or a stronghold claims an area on the map... so you can't stack properties.
-currently corners must be placed "on the surface" which will make defining things like underwater cities kind of tough.  In fact, water isn't considered a surface when placing corners but will interfere with dragging them. Tongue  Atlantis with its glass ceilings may be immune from this issue, actually.
-the bug I mentioned above is that the code used to find the elevation for the corner markers ignores non-natural materials... which is kind of lame.  I will fix it with the next release but I then have to put in some other checking.  But it's what may allow the glass ceilinged cities to work.

Missing features:
-when dragging a property's corners, there is no way to see how much of your maximum area is used yet.
-there is currently no way to give town plots to other players.
-the only way to get a town is to be granted one by an admin (me)... but that will be true for a long time.
-the property panel mini-map is not yet implemented.
-the world map does not show property borders.
-the world map does not allow you to turn off the labels for strongholds or cities/towns.
-you cannot give other player badges to allow them edit rights in your town for shared building... in fact, the whole badges system is missing from this release and is the bulk of the rest of the "property system".
-there are no useful actions that can be performed from the property UI.  Eventually there will be property-specific actions as well as actions you can perform on your property's badges and sub-plots.  (For example, currently the only way to rename a property is to go to it and right click on one of its markers.... that's lame but you will eventually be able to do it through the property UI.  You will also eventually be able to randomly layout town plots from here.)
-for those of you who get granted towns, the town/cities section of your property ledger does not allow paging and so after 10 or so plots will leak out of the bottom.  The town view panel has a working scroll bar, though.

But... there were pretty sizable infrastructure changes to make all of this happen and they will make other things much easier.  The scripting system advanced quite a bit with this release as nearly 100% of the property handling code is in the scripting layer.

Lots of tweaking but I think the feature is getting there.

When I have the other 20% implemented (and maybe partially before that) I will put up some detailed wiki pages on how to use the property system.  I will also post a tutorial video if GameToker doesn't beat me to it... though he may need a tutorial video to learn enough to make the tutorial video. Smiley

Thanks for reading!  Hopefully your exploration and mass land-grab goes well.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 04:25:14 AM by pspeed » Logged
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 04:53:42 AM »

Note: if you started downloading it before this message existed then you will need to grab it again.  There was a major bug that slipped through my testing and required a hasty update.  I'm finishing the upload as I type this.
scorch

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 01:59:04 PM »

Three questions:  Cheesy
 - In the multiplayer, I spawn at the last location I was, but how don't see my marker. How can I define my "village"? Smiley
 - Are properties working on singleplayer (not much sense, but at least the UI is visible there) ?
 - Is it normal to see many towns at the map, but none of them be shown at the properties UI?

Also, a simple thing: Shouldn't the sound stop when we minimize the window? Smiley
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 03:48:36 PM »

The markers are only visible when you have the property tools selected.

Properties also work in single player but right now you just have your starting stronghold.  It's more for your own benefit at the moment but eventually in single player NPCs will own strongholds, towns, and cities also... and you will be able to earn towns and cities of your own.

The  Property UI is for managing your own properties.  Eventually you'll be able to click on them on the map like you can when walking around with the property tool on... at least I think so.

re: sound.  Maybe.  The game keeps going when the window is minimized but I guess I could mute the sound.  I like it though because then I can hear when people send me a chat message. Smiley
schlomoo

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 01:56:09 AM »

great work, testing it tonight
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 06:02:23 AM »

Good luck!

Note: I've greatly improved the logging and error handling in the game.  If any of you encounter a crash then I'm interested in seeing your client.log and any error-####.log where #### is a unique number.  Right after the crash, whatever is most recent is what I'm interested in.

If you forget and run the game before grabbing the client.log, it will have been copied to client-1.log.  client.logs 1 through 5 are the last five log files.

It would very much surprise me if I didn't create a few new crashes with this release. Smiley
sameer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2011, 06:23:02 AM »

Yay! Finally, i'll be testing it soon and reporting any issues/bugs i encounter.

Thanks Paul for your continuous effort!
deadering

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 05:33:43 PM »

Great to hear about this! Sounds awesome.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: