Mythruna
March 29, 2024, 07:23:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A question about block resolution...  (Read 3806 times)
Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« on: July 28, 2015, 07:14:28 PM »

I play quite a bit of minecraft, but one thing that strikes me is that it lags me even when I have a 32x32 texture pack, becoming unplayable around 1028x1028 resolution. My question is: How were HD textures, bumpmaps, and shaders all implemented without hitting the same roadblock that Minecraft has?

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 09:44:02 PM »

I'm not really sure what you are saying with respect to performance and texture size.

Mythruna isn't really doing anything special or efficient here... in fact, it's using probably what some would call a "worst practice"* with respect to how it does texturing.  So I have no idea.

* - certainly, I would give someone advice not to do what I've done if asked. Smiley
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 09:48:26 PM »

Ok, so that might not entirely be true... but again I have no clue how Minecraft is doing it.

However, on some cards, texture switches can be a real drain.  Minecraft used texture atlases before... I don't know if they still do.  This prevents texture switches because there is essentially only one texture and then it's indexed into in the scene.  (This is the most efficient way.)

Mythruna uses a texture per material... and thus doesn't batch as well as it would if using an atlas.  This is one reason why the object count is so high in the stats view.  For each 32x32x32 area in Mythruna, you may have a dozen or more objects depending on how many materials are represented.  (This is kind of the least efficient way.)

However, and this is a big however, Mythruna (and JME even) sort the scene based on material.  This minimizes texture switches because all of the dirt is drawn, all of the rock is drawn, etc... for each texture.  Mythruna goes further and hard-codes some of this ordering so that transparency works better than it would otherwise.

So the few big IFs... IF: Minecraft is no longer using a texture atlas, and IF: they are not sorting on material  THEN: they might take a performance hit on some cards.

...but I have no idea, really.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: