Mythruna
March 28, 2024, 03:38:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Personal Censor  (Read 4424 times)
Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« on: September 03, 2015, 11:37:33 PM »

I've actually thought about this before, for a Minecraft server. Basically, each user can apply a censor database to their client. This means that mature audiences can remove the censor as they please, and parents or otherwise can adjust the censor to suit their needs without servers having to restrict chat. There is no one censor to rule them all, but if there was, this would be the best one imo.

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 11:47:01 PM »

I suppose technically it's not impossible.  I forget how the shell output is wired up... it may even be easy.

As a parent, I don't let my kids play online games with chat.  It has nothing to do with the language used and everything to do with the predators that might be out there.  That stuff can't be filtered.

...and on the other hand, my kids are so far raised to be uncomfortable around the language that I might want to filter.  It's nice because right now it self-polices things like youtube videos and such.
Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 11:48:49 PM »

I suppose technically it's not impossible.  I forget how the shell output is wired up... it may even be easy.

As a parent, I don't let my kids play online games with chat.  It has nothing to do with the language used and everything to do with the predators that might be out there.  That stuff can't be filtered.

...and on the other hand, my kids are so far raised to be uncomfortable around the language that I might want to filter.  It's nice because right now it self-polices things like youtube videos and such.

If you want to get into the really super kid friendly stuff, a white-list chat filter would work best... but building up the database is a pain.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: