Mythruna
April 27, 2024, 01:04:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Discussion #22 (9/9/15)  (Read 5163 times)
Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« on: September 09, 2015, 07:50:59 PM »

This one might be a bit controversial and uncomfortable for some, but I felt it worth our intellectual considerations.

Today, I saw a very unfortunate video on a let's player's channel I subscribe to(His name is cryaotic, if you're curious). Anywho, he was playing a game called madenohara, I believe. One episode in, he called it off and announced that he'd be deleting his video of it.

He did that out of respect for the game's creator, who asked that no videos be made of the game. The reason for this was because she was receiving death threats over certain themes present in her game, particularly themes of rape. Now, this game is a horror game, and rape has proven itself to be an effective form of horror since the film "The Hills Have Eyes" made it's bloody debut.

How would you have reacted to a game where the protagonist can die in a sexual context? Were these"death threaters" simply exercising their first amendment rights, or were they in the wrong? Should a work be criticized for a certain theme being present? How would you have handled the situation if you were that person? What would you say to the creator of Wadanohara if you met her?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 08:33:59 PM by Rayblon » Logged

Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 08:32:57 PM »

Now, I know this might be a touchy subject, but we're all adults here, at least on the inside. This is a serious answer to a serious question.

Honestly, I wouldn't have cared much, if you mean to ask whether it would affect my enjoyment of the game. If the story is good and the gameplay is good, I'll enjoy it more often than not. Does that mean I enjoy the protagonist dying in that way/dying at all? No, but I can appreciate a good story.

I'm all for freedom of speech, but there's a time, a place, and a way to do everything. Saying you're going to kill someone because they discussed a controversial topic in a game... no. You don't do that. That's like threatening someone over painting a nude, imo.

A theme being present shouldn't affect the quality of a story; it's the execution of certain themes that matters imo. If it's there just to be there, I might be less inclined to like it, but if it's good, then I can appreciate it.

Now, if I was her... I'd have prepared a message that would cover everyone's complaints and send it out en mass at anyone who thinks that their opinion is going to obstruct my artistic freedom.

And if I were to have a word with her, I'd tell her that those people are just like high school bullies, and all that you need to do is be the better person.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 02:24:15 PM by Rayblon » Logged

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2015, 02:01:39 PM »

Threats are not considered protected speech.
Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2015, 09:01:27 PM »

True... but I can't imagine it's easy to press charges over threats en masse.

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2015, 06:48:12 AM »

You didn't ask if they should go to jail.  You asked if they were just exercising their first amendment rights... the answer to that is: no.
Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2015, 07:27:30 AM »

You didn't ask if they should go to jail.  You asked if they were just exercising their first amendment rights... the answer to that is: no.

I was just saying that it's a shame she can't effectively do anything about it.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: