Mythruna
March 28, 2024, 11:51:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Math Attack!  (Read 6497 times)
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« on: November 13, 2015, 02:29:59 AM »

Several weeks ago I was lamenting that fact that I've been too busy so far this year to run math flash cards with my kids at dinner time.  Long story short, I started developing a Math Flashcard game in bits and pieces an hour here and an hour there.  The nice thing was that this let me polish a bunch of stuff in some of my other open source packages and fix some bugs, etc..  In the end, I was even able to (finally) publish an animation package as part of my Lemur UI toolkit.  (I'd attempted to write one three times already so I'm glad to have that _huge_ to-do item off my plate.)

Anyway, the game is 'done' for now.  There are still features that I'd like to add but all of the important ones are there.  I've polished the game front-to-back (what's there) and even made the screen transitions a little 'juicy' using the new animation library.  It's even got its own theme music that I put together the weekend before last.

Here is the game page if you want to check it out:
http://www.simsilica.com/games/math-attack/

It's nice because the levels can be fully configured as can the achievement rules.  I've set the current rules up for my kids because I'm supposed to take them out for ice cream if they practice enough.  (That was one of the old daily dinner flashcards motivations, too.)

Here are some screen shots (also on the gallery on that page):

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2015, 02:47:25 AM »

Went ahead and added the Math Attack music to my music page:
http://www.simsilica.com/music/

They are kind of 'throw-away' songs but they get stuck in my head... so they can't be all bad. Smiley  They seem to work ok for ambient music.
Teknonick

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2016, 02:20:12 PM »

Hey, um... Paul, long time no see... but... VIRUS ALERT!

Apparently my computer thinks your program is a complete and absolute VIRUS, no matter how hard I try to tell it it's not. Unless it is, then shame on you  Tongue

But yeah, I can't run it. Looks cool though, hopefully it's helped you in developing more of Mythruna, and less of 'getting distracted because working on Mythruna is boring' Tongue
Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2016, 02:27:44 PM »

Apparently my computer thinks your program is a complete and absolute VIRUS, no matter how hard I try to tell it it's not. Unless it is, then shame on you  Tongue

But yeah, I can't run it. Looks cool though, hopefully it's helped you in developing more of Mythruna, and less of 'getting distracted because working on Mythruna is boring' Tongue

Inb4 Paul secretly distributes dozens of viruses in all his games

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2016, 06:35:26 PM »

I don't think there is really anything I can do about a virus checker issuing a false positive on my software.  There's no virus in it... so I don't know what else to do.

Math Attack is fun to poke at just to see a UI + finished game but it's for a younger audience... and even though my kids do it most weeks, it fails to do what I designed it to do.  I feel only slightly vindicated in that every other math game they've played fails in the same way, though.  They are good at assessment but not good at teaching.  I have some plans to fix it but I've been working on another project lately... more on that later.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: