Mythruna
April 25, 2024, 06:39:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Discussion #23 (12/7/2015)  (Read 3026 times)
Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« on: December 07, 2015, 09:26:59 PM »

It's been a while, huh? I'll keep this one short since you guys seem to hate long posts.

Today, I used the word "Stepfordian" for the second time in my life. It's actually an incredibly useful word when you need it, but... it's somehow not even recognized in Urban Dictionary.

Are there any unrecognized or rarely recognized terms that you wish were more commonly accepted, or is there a word for something that you wish existed?

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2015, 02:05:16 PM »

This is not really the same thing but I'm still chuckling about it 4 days later and it's become a 'thing' in our household now.

The other night I was putting my daughter to bad and asked her if she had a good day (I try to ask every night).  She said with a really thick fake New York accent, "I hadda Superman day!"  This led to a whole chain of funny super-hero day comments.  "Well, I'm glad you didn't have an incredible hulk day", etc..  I even got weird and gen-x on her and said "I had a Wonder Twins day without the twin... I felt wet and squishy and couldn't form into anything!"  (If you are a gen-xer then that's funny... my wife was giggling pretty good anyway.)  The important thing is kind of the accent I guess.  It's kind of a thing now as we try to come up with different super-heros that reflect our day.  (When I was cold and wet after working on the pool, I'd had an Aquaman day.)

As it turns out, she didn't really make this up... and it was my fault.

When I was a young kid, there was a show called Romper Room.  I was telling her about this a week or more ago because of the magic mirror and a comment I'd made at work.  We were on a group chat and as we watched the participants come in we were saying "I see Dave and I see Joe, and Mary..." and so on.  I then said "I feel like I'm on Romper Room."  And then quickly followed with "I think there is only one other person on this call who is old enough to get that reference."  And he was giggled and said "I do."

Anyway, so I had to find a clip of the show to show my daughter what I was talking about when retelling that story.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=td1KAgrYUGA

I think that clip is kind of hilarious.  I chuckle every time the teacher says "Wait!".  Lots of experience keeping things from getting out of hand, that one.

But that's where "Superman day" comes from... though I have no idea why my daughter decided to give it a New York accent.  It is what makes it hilarious here, though.

So, I hope you all have a Superman day!  Try to stay away from the Aquaman days if you can avoid them. Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: