Mythruna
April 29, 2024, 03:17:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New ideas for creatures  (Read 6308 times)
Duff_Beer

View Profile
« on: December 20, 2015, 05:44:19 PM »

I haven't really noticed any straight off creature topic yet.  Just a few vague mentions of what might be coming, as responses in different topics.

Here is my idea for a creature. I hope other people come up with ideas as well.

I call it a bombardier.  It explodes when a player character comes near and takes several blocks with it.
Probably around 3 blocks worth straight down and maybe a misshapen circle worth of blocks around it.  Like a small crater.
Sean
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2015, 08:35:53 PM »

Hmm where have I seen a monster like that before... Tongue

"People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2015, 11:05:54 PM »

Hmm where have I seen a monster like that before... Tongue

Where, indeed...

Seriously though fola... When you post a suggestion, it's highly advised that you don't use a creature that is unique to another prominent game. It's even more highly advised that you don't use an image that I can find on google in less than twenty seconds. Here's the link for those interested: http://lindaleia.deviantart.com/art/Realistic-Creeper-418366803

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2015, 06:04:22 PM »

Also, just for reference, creatures that appear in Mythruna will have a purpose other than just harassing the player.  Like, where does some creature fit in the ecosystem and so on.

A notable exception might be the elementals like Takwin that are a byproduct of conditions and player magic... but even those have a deeper reason for being.

Minecraft is a fun game... partially because its mobs are one-dimensional devices... but they are still one dimensional and Mythruna won't be doing that.  It should always be in every Mythrunian mob's list of choices to decide to run away because the trouble isn't worth it.  At least in theory.

So probably:
-no player-seeking mobs
-no walking mines
-and generally, no "I popped into existence fully formed with motivations and everything just because the sun went down 10 seconds ago"

(If you get harassed by groo-lizards because you are wandering in the dark then that also means there must be a nest somewhere... and at any rate, they go and hide during the day and don't spontaneously combust.)

Minecraft mobs are like classic arcade game mobs.  They are a single-mechanic extension, basically.  You can almost trace them directly back to mob archetypes that existed in games as old as Gauntlet.  (This is the one that beats on you in melee.  This is the one that shoots you.  This is the one that explodes under some condition.  This is the one that teleports.)
Duff_Beer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2015, 06:51:59 PM »

Well I wasn't exactly worried about someone finding it.   The only visual connection this picture has to a creeper is 4 legs and tall.

giant spiders or a four legged zombie could do the same.  This thing looks more like some killer alien than a creeper, which is why I chose this.  
Have you seen a creeper? they look like a multi-shaded green version of missingno.  Like something the 80s threw up.

I wasn't trying to hide the fact of what the picture says it is.  Im trying to point out that this "realistic" version of the creeper looks nothing like the actual in-game species and thus can be counted as not being one if some other game creator wanted to add it into their game.

I mean the real in-game thing looks like a tetris block made out of all green shapes. and it doesn't have sharp teeth or horns on it's legs.

Someone could easily put this in their game and say "nope, its not a creeper. minecraft's mobs don't look like this."

« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 06:54:13 PM by fola_mactire » Logged
Duff_Beer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2015, 07:03:25 PM »

Also, just for reference, creatures that appear in Mythruna will have a purpose other than just harassing the player.  Like, where does some creature fit in the ecosystem and so on.

A notable exception might be the elementals like Takwin that are a byproduct of conditions and player magic... but even those have a deeper reason for being.

Minecraft is a fun game... partially because its mobs are one-dimensional devices... but they are still one dimensional and Mythruna won't be doing that.  It should always be in every Mythrunian mob's list of choices to decide to run away because the trouble isn't worth it.  At least in theory.

So probably:
-no player-seeking mobs
-no walking mines
-and generally, no "I popped into existence fully formed with motivations and everything just because the sun went down 10 seconds ago"

(If you get harassed by groo-lizards because you are wandering in the dark then that also means there must be a nest somewhere... and at any rate, they go and hide during the day and don't spontaneously combust.)

Minecraft mobs are like classic arcade game mobs.  They are a single-mechanic extension, basically.  You can almost trace them directly back to mob archetypes that existed in games as old as Gauntlet.  (This is the one that beats on you in melee.  This is the one that shoots you.  This is the one that explodes under some condition.  This is the one that teleports.)

Damn I was hoping for the walking mine type deal.  Oh well it was worth a shot.  I just was hoping for something that would explode and take a few blocks with it cause trying to dig a trench one block at a time is frustrating.   Took me almost a real hour to make a peninsula into an island cause it was around 30 blocks deep and really long.   

Having some sort of explosive something in the game would be nice.  I figured a creeper knock-off would work well cause its already there and all you have to do is walk up to it and it explodes. 

Oh well, Im sure you'll figure something out.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2015, 07:35:59 AM »

Of the many millions of possible ways to blow up blocks, walking bombs won't be one of them.  However, that hardly means I won't pick one or two of the other millions of possible ways to support blowing things up.
Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2015, 05:28:53 PM »

Of the many millions of possible ways to blow up blocks, walking bombs won't be one of them.  However, that hardly means I won't pick one or two of the other millions of possible ways to support blowing things up.

Nukes! I knew it. >Smiley

Duff_Beer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2015, 10:10:13 PM »

TNT always works. Or dynamite.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: