Mythruna
March 19, 2024, 02:39:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Question for the old fans...  (Read 6966 times)
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« on: May 18, 2022, 12:10:30 AM »

You can answer here or on twitter:
https://twitter.com/MythrunaGame/status/1526821598233300993

If you are one of the "old school" Mythruna players from 10 years ago, what was one of the "Mythruna wouldn't be the same without X" style features?
Partially I think it would be fun to walk down memory lane and partially I'm trying to prioritize old features in with new ones.

I'm thinking about this a lot as I get closer to a public release and will undoubtedly have to put some stuff off to the next releases.

Iggyjeckel
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2022, 11:05:12 AM »

already responded on twitter, but blueprints are one of the huge staples of mythruna that I loved.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2022, 01:17:03 PM »

already responded on twitter, but blueprints are one of the huge staples of mythruna that I loved.

Yeah, thanks for that.

I think custom objects is probably a "critical feature" for the public release at the end of June.  That was definitely something that distinguished Mythruna from the other block world games.
Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2022, 02:39:03 PM »

Idk if i count in the ten years ago club, lmao, but I always really liked the large candle flames. They had a serene, magical quality to them.

Other than that, the "fuck you get a light" levels of darkness in caves and such have always been refreshing.

I think custom objects is probably a "critical feature" for the public release at the end of June.  That was definitely something that distinguished Mythruna from the other block world games.

One thing I would like to see with blueprints in the future is an option to make the textures more in line with the full block, so a statue looks more like it's chiselled from a block instead of being many mini blocks. Sometimes you want one or the other, depending.

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2022, 02:52:28 AM »

Idk if i count in the ten years ago club, lmao, but I always really liked the large candle flames. They had a serene, magical quality to them.

If you mean the smooth round flames from the old engine versus the "real flame" look of the new engine...
Old:

New:

The particle effect used for the old flames had a problem on some platforms with limited point-sprite sizes... the flame ended up look like a trail of beads.

The new fire is superior in every way except for things like candles.  Given that those would be smaller, I may resurrect it for candles at least.

Other than that, the "fuck you get a light" levels of darkness in caves and such have always been refreshing.

Nice.  I'll keep that in mind.

One thing I discovered in the new engine is that the lighting is not as dramatic.  The old engine had special code for falling off direct sunlight where it would fall off faster for a few levels.  The new one does a straight -1 falloff in all directions.  That means sun can penetrate like 14 blocks into a cave before going totally black.  Where is before it was closer to 10.

I will probably put it back because to me it doesn't feel right.  (The old approach had some other benefits that I won't get into here.)

One thing I would like to see with blueprints in the future is an option to make the textures more in line with the full block, so a statue looks more like it's chiselled from a block instead of being many mini blocks. Sometimes you want one or the other, depending.

Totally.  This is already going to be a thing.  In fact, I hacked it in for the items in the inventory already.

If you run the latest engine then you can see this clearly on the sword.

In the inventory it looks like this:

...which is properly "carved".

While in the avatar's hand it's like the old mini-block style:

...which for the metal material looks especially stupid.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: