Mythruna
March 18, 2024, 07:41:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16
  Print  
Author Topic: Chat Lounge  (Read 196657 times)
Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: September 23, 2018, 10:04:21 AM »

POM is parallax occlusion mapping(It's usually bundled with self shadowing when applicable). Basically, POM lets you apply a surface map that the game will render in quasi-3d, despite the surface actually being flat. There might be a more efficient alternative in hardware tesselation, but I don't know enough about it to say. Here's a vod of it implemented in jmonkeyengine.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 01:03:15 PM by Rayblon » Logged

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: September 23, 2018, 10:37:00 PM »

Mythruna already used parallax mapping.  Steep parallax mapping is just a flag but costs a lot and didn't provide much advantage.

Once one has already made their textures in such a way to reduce the parallax artifacts (it can't make pixels so there is always some ugly stretching for large relief) then the difference between them is minimal.

I guess in the video he's using standard parallax at the beginning and steep at the end but it's hard to tell.  The artifacts I'm talking about are the things that make the corners look like they have a satin finish or something.  I guess the steep flag does more lookups in the texture to avoid that.

Still, it's just a flag on the material.  It would already be available in the newer Mythruna engine where the materials were defined in config... except I forked the standard JME materials way back and never merged these newer features.

All of this is worth looking at.  It's just that on blocks, it always messes up at the corners/edges.
Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: September 24, 2018, 02:25:53 PM »

All of this is worth looking at.  It's just that on blocks, it always messes up at the corners/edges

I can confirm. It's definitely subtle, too, like you said, but having had a taste of it it's hard to return to 'flat' textures, even with pbr and normal maps.

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: September 24, 2018, 04:27:56 PM »

Just note that many of the Mythruna textures already use parallax mapping... just not steep parallax.  The rock texture, cobble, etc. all should have bump maps as well as normal maps.  If you toggle the render settings you should see them flatten out and get bumpy again.
Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: November 01, 2018, 09:55:01 PM »

Is it just me or do the bot posts tend to be made directly after legit users post?

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: November 02, 2018, 12:53:08 AM »

Is it just me or do the bot posts tend to be made directly after legit users post?

Nah, I think it's because if a user posts something then that sends me a notification... and if I don't come read the post right away then the forum won't send me anymore notifications.

Normally I see the spam notifications and come delete it right away.  We get plenty of spam with no recent real posts.

So you guys are more likely to see the spam if someone has posted recently... but the spam amount is still a handful a week or so.
Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: November 02, 2018, 07:47:28 AM »

So what you're saying is, active users contribute to the spam. ;c

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: November 02, 2018, 08:00:37 AM »

So what you're saying is, active users contribute to the spam. ;c

No, I'm saying active users make the spam more visible to you guys.  I see all of it anyway.

I guess we average 4-5 spams a week.  I usually remove them before you guys see them because I get an e-mail right away when they are added.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: November 02, 2018, 08:01:31 AM »

If you want to stop and think about how 'evil' spam really is, think about what else I could be doing with the time I spend removing it from the forum and banning users.  :-/
Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: November 02, 2018, 12:02:59 PM »

I could help stem the tide if you're at all interested. I still check the forums almost daily despite how barren it's been lately, and given your state of affairs, your time is a good deal more precious than mine. I think I'll get email notifications set up on here regardless.

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: November 02, 2018, 01:13:25 PM »

Well, one of the important things is to ban them so that we don't keep getting spam from them... and I don't feel comfortable giving out that level of admin capability.
Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: November 08, 2018, 10:40:55 AM »

Here's a video exploring a lab about 2 miles under the earths surface. It has some interesting tidbits about the effects of being deep underground that might be neat to explore as gameplay mechanics.

Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: January 22, 2019, 12:18:52 PM »

Been thinking about something. Studies have shown that exposure to moderate levels of radiation, solar radiation being a prime example, actually protects against cancer by training the body to repair, or destroy, cancerous cells more efficiently. We know that having too little exposure to magic energy is deleterious... but what about too much? Would overexposure to light energy eventually result in the player becoming bloodlit, or too much life energy over too long a period result in some kind of uncontrolled tissue growth?

Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: January 22, 2019, 04:44:54 PM »

Also what on earth happened here: Most Online Ever: 391 (November 29, 2018, 01:31:15 AM)

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 22, 2019, 06:53:21 PM »

Also what on earth happened here: Most Online Ever: 391 (November 29, 2018, 01:31:15 AM)

Heheh.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16
  Print  

Jump to: