Mythruna
April 24, 2024, 06:45:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Let's talk VR.  (Read 3471 times)
Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« on: May 03, 2016, 06:17:13 PM »

VR has come a long way. even just a few years ago, Oculus-type devices were cutting edge pieces of technology. Maybe not entirely groundbreaking, but still cutting edge. Now we have things like the Vive that allow for the kind of interaction that was either taped together or simply dreamed about in other implementations. As VR expands, we'll likely see the technology grow and change to such an extent that VR tech is unnoticeable and actually helps to simulate the experience. Right now we have a pretty solid way to interact with worlds in VR on the Vive.

Mythruna, in your physics and manual skill heavy implementation will have many activities that may directly benefit from the kind of interaction that VR allows. Fletching, smithing, cooking, mining, and especially swordplay, would theoretically be made that much better if VR is integrated right. Of course, movement would be another problem entirely... but for our purposes, let's assume that movement is addressed in future implementations of VR.  As per usual, I have some questions:

In the future, would implementation of VR controls be of interest to you?

How do you think they would change the way the game plays?

What challenges do you think you would face from the perspective of both game development and design when trying to implement these things?

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 12:25:39 AM »

Sure.  It's all of interested to me.  After all, I had a VR headset almost 20 years ago now.  (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VFX1_Headgear )  (Well, technically I still have it but nothing will run it anymore.)

It's too soon for me to invest any heavy development time into it as a lot will shift over the next few years and the tech will advance rapidly.  In the end, I will have to have non-VR interfaces for things anyway and that's where most of the challenge really is.

As a consumer, I will probably have Sony's offering as soon as it comes out.  It so far seems to be the cheapest/best option (assuming they don't change price and/or specs before October) and is perfect for where I'd use it.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: