Mythruna
March 28, 2024, 04:07:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Happy 4th  (Read 14291 times)
Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2016, 10:45:47 PM »

And while I'm somewhat open to changing it, the 'always march forward' thing was kind of core to the game mechanic.  Originally, I hadn't even planned to let players control the ranged attacks.

Maybe there could be a commander unit that allows fine control of unit advancement, at a high cost? It would be a precious commodity instead of a full-on gameplay mechanic. Or if you allow for custom game conditions at some point, it could be made an option there or something.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 02:42:45 AM by Rayblon » Logged

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2016, 09:02:06 AM »

And while I'm somewhat open to changing it, the 'always march forward' thing was kind of core to the game mechanic.  Originally, I hadn't even planned to let players control the ranged attacks.

Maybe there could be a commander unit that allows fine control of unit advancement, at a high cost? It would be a precious commodity instead of a full-on gameplay mechanic. Or if you allow for custom game conditions at some point, it could be made an option there or something.

I like the idea of a commander unit.  It could allow control over the local neighborhood (immediate neighbors) to "halt".  It wouldn't even have to be too expensive in that case because it's value is limited and it immediately 'outs' itself the first time it halts the 3x3 block when it should move forward.

Edit: it also nicely follows the meta-game progression... which would be that you start with basic troop types but as your kingdom expands you gain new training facilities to provide extra capabilities.
Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2016, 09:56:30 AM »

I like the idea of a commander unit.  It could allow control over the local neighborhood (immediate neighbors) to "halt".  It wouldn't even have to be too expensive in that case because it's value is limited and it immediately 'outs' itself the first time it halts the 3x3 block when it should move forward.

Edit: it also nicely follows the meta-game progression... which would be that you start with basic troop types but as your kingdom expands you gain new training facilities to provide extra capabilities.

Yay, I helped! Cheesy

On the side, I've been nagged by this idea alot... what if there was a kind of "large scale" mode that represented individual units as large crowds or something without actually changing the gameplay? To simulate a battle in a full-on war.

Would this game ever support mods? If so, what kind of mods?

Would people be able to host private/modded servers?

Will we be able to customize the board size between matches, within reason?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 11:42:41 AM by Rayblon » Logged

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2016, 08:46:19 AM »

Yay, I helped! Cheesy

Heheh.  It helps that I still have no idea where the game is going so everything is still on the table.  I had a concept that I wasn't sure would work (seems like it might) and some concepts on the meta-game (which have already changed completely from my original ideas).  The rest is balance and iteration and new troop types.

On the side, I've been nagged by this idea alot... what if there was a kind of "large scale" mode that represented individual units as large crowds or something without actually changing the gameplay? To simulate a battle in a full-on war.

In my mind, each single unit already _does_ represent a group.  But even in 3D form, I don't think it will be animated that way... but it is an option.

I don't know.  My current monetization strategy is to control the means of producti... I mean servers. Smiley  It's unfortunate because I understand the "success through user-modding" model pretty well.  It just seems hard to implement in an MMO style game.

Not under the current monetization strategy... at least not officially/legally.  But within those constraints, I want to try to support as much custom match-up as I could assuming it gets that far...

...to continue above, yeah.  I'd like that.  Different game styles, board sizes, obstacles, piece limits, resource caps, etc..  I even had the idea for a game mode where every resource you spend ends up in the other players pot, and vice versa.  So games are essentially endless if you play right.  Coming up with a lock down strategy in that case would be tricky.

Anyway, coming up with good ways to match such games will be interesting but I think it most likely that you'll be able to match-up general games by criteria but that if you are already 'friended' with someone then you can collaborate with that friend on a custom game setup.  Some kind of lobby or something.

The interesting thing is that like games like scrabble, I could even support non-real-time gameplay.  Make a move... come back some time later to see if the other player has gone yet, get notified, whatever.

So far this game is nice to work on because there are almost no moving parts.  So until I get more than 30 minutes here and there to work on something, it's my current pet project.
Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2016, 10:42:41 AM »

Not under the current monetization strategy... at least not officially/legally.  But within those constraints, I want to try to support as much custom match-up as I could assuming it gets that far...

Ah. If/when the game stops bringing in money(permitting it's at one point popular enough to keep the legacy alive), would you consider it? If the game somehow falls out of favor, I figure user created content/servers would give the game a second wind, and you could shift from F2P to selling a license for $.

I don't know.  My current monetization strategy is to control the means of producti... I mean servers. Smiley  It's unfortunate because I understand the "success through user-modding" model pretty well.  It just seems hard to implement in an MMO style game.

Hm. Assuming you take to developing modding support... Perhaps mods could be limited to aesthetics and the UI to an extent. Or it could follow your Mythruna Mod store concept, with the distinction that mods have an extremely stringent approval process. Anything gameplay altering would probably require not only the server to be able to 'plug-in' the mod for a match, but modders would need access to servers for testing and such... which you don't want. I guess the potential is there, though, if you change your mind.

... but I know nothing about server development and this would probably be a huge expenditure just for a few mods.

...to continue above, yeah.  I'd like that.  Different game styles, board sizes, obstacles, piece limits, resource caps, etc..  I even had the idea for a game mode where every resource you spend ends up in the other players pot, and vice versa.  So games are essentially endless if you play right.  Coming up with a lock down strategy in that case would be tricky.

Nice. What are your thoughts on allowing players to make custom boards? It would make for lots of replayability and would be a good source of our beloved user-generated content. Could be where some of the paid content/progression is; maybe you're allowed to use more map types when creating a board; i.e. sewers, crypt, hotlands, etc, or you can get special blocks and decorations for the board. Maybe with certain map types, light would be a commodity and the fog of war affects everything not near a torch and you'd need to cast magic lights or use a specific class to see through the darkness fog. Hell, that kind of dynamic is practically a new gamemode in itself.

This is probably a bit of a stretch, but I'm imagining a gamemode where you have complete control of your units and direct them through a sprawling dungeon or something against the opposing team. It'd be a turn based Dota 2 kind of deal, I guess, and you'd maybe be able to find randomly placed loot. I'd love me a dungeon mode like that.

On the topic of dungeons, would monsters be a possibility in matches? Like, units that will attack troops from either team that get close or meet a certain criteria (like maybe a certain monster would only aggro when a unit has a light source or something).
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 07:34:04 PM by Rayblon » Logged

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2016, 03:36:33 PM »

I don't know.  (heheh)

Just a nice generic answer.

There is the exploration mode I have in mind which is just for offline play... where you explore a fogged board for treasure.  (I think I mentioned this already.)  Some of your ideas would fit better there.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: