Mythruna
April 25, 2024, 02:35:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Thinking of documenting Simarboreal-editor...  (Read 6766 times)
Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« on: July 10, 2016, 02:57:56 PM »

By documenting, I mean usage instructions of course, rather than all the l33t details. I got around to finding it and playing with it a bit again, but lots a fair amount of the sliders don't make a visible change, or seem to only make a difference in specific situations. Granted, I can still make a damn gorgeous tree, but something to the effect of a Mythruna handbook may be in order for it. It'd be a nice change of pace from what I'm dealing with right now, too.

That is, unless there's some super detailed documentation that I'm not aware of. ;p
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 03:00:44 PM by Rayblon » Logged

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2016, 08:37:17 AM »

I don't think there's any super-detailed documentation.  I think so far that most users fall into one of two categories:
1) just click buttons until they get something they like, export it, and use it in their games.
2) those already somewhat familiar with L-systems that just poke around a bit to translate my names into something they understand.

This is the entire extent of the existing documentation:
https://github.com/Simsilica/SimArboreal-Editor/wiki

...other than what I posted on the jMonkeyEngine forums when I first announced it.

So, yeah, it could definitely use some better docs.  On the other hand, no one is clamoring for them, either... but one could beget the other, really.
Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2016, 07:53:28 PM »

I don't think there's any super-detailed documentation.  I think so far that most users fall into one of two categories:
1) just click buttons until they get something they like, export it, and use it in their games.
2) those already somewhat familiar with L-systems that just poke around a bit to translate my names into something they understand.

...other than what I posted on the jMonkeyEngine forums when I first announced it.

So, yeah, it could definitely use some better docs.  On the other hand, no one is clamoring for them, either... but one could beget the other, really.

I guess I'll be picking your brain soon, then. Tongue

I'll try my best to document what I can based on intuition, first, of course. I have a good sense of about 1/4 or 1/3 of the options.

Oh, and uh... The j3o format is a touch restrictive, in that it can't be exported to another format. Perhaps it would be more popular if it could also export in another format... Though I don't know if that's even possible given my admittedly narrow understanding JME outside of the fact that j3o is a format used in JME. I guess the leaves wouldn't work in other formats either.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 08:45:22 PM by Rayblon » Logged

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2016, 10:01:30 PM »

I don't think there's any super-detailed documentation.  I think so far that most users fall into one of two categories:

So, yeah, it could definitely use some better docs.  On the other hand, no one is clamoring for them, either... but one could beget the other, really.

I'll try my best to document what I can based on intuition, first, of course. I have a good sense of about 1/4 or 1/3 of the options.

Oh, and uh... The j3o format is a touch restrictive, in that it can't be exported to another format. Perhaps it would be more popular if it could also export in another format... Though I don't know if that's even possible given my admittedly narrow understanding JME outside of the fact that j3o is a format used in JME. I guess the leaves wouldn't work in other formats either.

I looked at exporting to other formats but the problem is that the leaves rely on a certain custom shader to do the billboarding and lighting properly.  I'd have to come up with a different scheme for the leaves to export in different formats.
Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2016, 10:17:49 PM »

I looked at exporting to other formats but the problem is that the leaves rely on a certain custom shader to do the billboarding and lighting properly.  I'd have to come up with a different scheme for the leaves to export in different formats.

Would creating balls of randomly rotated flat surfaces, akin to Mythruna's leaves, do it?

Here's a test I did of it. The method I used for rotation wasn't as random as I'd like, but it does make clear that to make the leaves work well, super visible cross-sections would need to be prevented
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 04:38:43 AM by Rayblon » Logged

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2016, 10:44:22 AM »

Would creating balls of randomly rotated flat surfaces, akin to Mythruna's leaves, do it?

Here's a test I did of it. The method I used for rotation wasn't as random as I'd like, but it does make clear that to make the leaves work well, super visible cross-sections would need to be prevented

Yeah, so far there are no particularly good solutions and all of those not-good solutions require development time that I don't have at the moment. Smiley
Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2016, 03:05:43 AM »

Sorry for the delay. I'll be working on the documentation today, and, well, I wanted to do absolutely nothing for a couple days, to my own chagrene.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: