Mythruna
April 23, 2024, 01:46:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [Magic Theory] Peg-Socket theory  (Read 4359 times)
Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« on: November 19, 2016, 10:07:55 PM »

Magic theory is something that we've discussed earlier, something which I contended as a necessary element if we are to be assuming the presence of developed societies. I already have some other theories in my head (One being the theory of energetic humours, some others being the theory of locked potential, theory of basal elements, theory of interdependence, theory of living constitution, speculomotive traits theory, and planar theory... lots of which are pretty simple and more applicable to the system in my RP handbook but adaptible enough to be adjusted as needed). This theory is more about the energies on an applied level, an explanation of the functioning of magic in some capacity, rather than the how of magic. Regardless, this is actually an intermediate theory that would have cited several previous theories to support it.

This theory as it is now comes with the assumption that magic energies are able to bind in a certain fashion;as if with sockets and pegs, like the magic I set up in the RP handbook. The theory contends that magic energies function as physical units of sorts, citing the theory of locked potential as supporting evidence(ToLP basically asserts that magic energies have mass and volume because burned wood is lighter than unburnt wood and can take up a smaller amount of space -- which would technically be wrong but would work in practice). These physical units are presented as several models; some portraying them as individual masses with single sets of/single pegs, and others interpreting them as being permeable amalgamations riddled with these pegs or sockets.

The theory asserts that there are only half of all of the observed energies, that opposing forces like heat and cold, gravity and electricity, and light and dark are similarly structured, but caused to behave differently due to the presence of differing structure augmenting their behavior. This facet of the theory would be contentious and would draw a great deal of discussion between scholars, undoubtedly.

Basically, there would be four 'types' of energies with two states for each. The energies are grouped mainly by their correlation with one another as would be outlined in the theory of interdependence. For instance, electricity, heat, and light, and life are interdependent on one another to properly function(ie heat can't function in a fire without light, electricity can't be observed properly without light, and electricity can create fire, while heat contributes to creating electricity) and behave similarly in that they have a strong tendency to move. Likewise, it is said that gravity, cold, and darkness are somewhat interdependent(again explained in the ToI when I feel like writing it), but have a tendency to remain immobile. Life energy and (it is assumed) spirit energy are considered special cases due to possessing 'both' sockets and pegs.

It is asserted that since light, electricity, and heat all function in conjunction that they cannot bind with one another, do not destroy eachother, but can bind with the opposing and socketed energies. The theory of basal elements which would have been written to account for the questions presented in this theory is key to explaining how this system works in converting between different elements, but life energy being malleable is to be assumed.

The peg-socket theory creates a fundamental platform for the practical understanding of magic synthesis and harmonizing. It presents a compelling explanation for why synthesizing more than 2 elements can't reliably combine traits and why "nova" magic is nearly impossible.

While life energy would be assumed to have a more fluid dynamic, being able to fill a socket and additionally accept a peg would normally come with the caveat that it cannot accept two sockets or two pegs. As an inert medium, that is all that life energy must do.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 12:32:03 PM by Rayblon » Logged

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2016, 01:30:30 AM »

I'm not ignoring this (well technically I am but only temporarily) but I just don't have time to drill into it right now.  I'll get to it when my coding vacation is over.

...just wanted you to know I wasn't ignoring it in general. Smiley
Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2016, 09:01:51 AM »

I'm not ignoring this (well technically I am but only temporarily) but I just don't have time to drill into it right now.  I'll get to it when my coding vacation is over.

...just wanted you to know I wasn't ignoring it in general. Smiley

Oh, I know. You read everything on here eventually. Tongue

Yeah, the way it's written now has... pretty big holes, and since it's based off of a possibly corrupted interpretation of magic via the rp handbook(where life energy can function as an inert medium and such), it may not function the same way. One of the issues I thought of with this theory was what happens between the 'pegged' and 'socketed' elements. It would mean that electricity would automatically bind with darkness or cold... which kinda works from a gameplay perspective since dark lightning is a pretty common magic spell, as would be frost bolts... but it would mean that electricity mixed with fire/light would be unstable, I suppose.

Of course, if it's inaccurate, I suppose that makes it all the better so long as the mistakes are subtle. Just because we're in a different world doesn't mean that there aren't people that are wrong. Limited exposure would be an issue for scholars, given how fickle magic can be for the uh... normal people.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 12:31:21 PM by Rayblon » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: