Mythruna
March 28, 2024, 06:26:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Aromatic oils and scent lures/repellants  (Read 3283 times)
Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« on: December 14, 2016, 05:05:32 AM »

Hygiene is important, of course. In Mythruna, just how important is currently outside the scope of Paul's purview, but I feel it worth discussing this. The evidence of recent trials weighs more heavily on the... emanations of some than others, but generally speaking, that evidence is there for all of them. However, sometimes getting rid of the stench just isn't enough. You could use that dirty lake water to clean yourself, but it still won't be doing your smell any favors. However, soap... wouldn't work. It's a fickle thing. I mean, it could work, but only for a select few species. The way soap destroys oils on the skin would be ruinous for the furred and feathered races on top of leaving a residue. Now, I personally don't think a select few is good enough, so I did some research.

What I found was actually a method of Roman origin. While it would need to be adapted from species to species, it works nicely for the most part and wouldn't be destructive to nonhumans. Romans would apply oils to their skin before using a tool known as a strigil to scrape off dead skin, dirt, and the oil. We can ignore the strigil for all species, and we have a simple, effective, and flexible bathing system without any of the holes that soap would introduce, while also being a credible bathing technique.

Now, of course, you could just use olive oil or something of the like, but what if you used an infusion of rose oil as well? Well, now you've got a temporary perfume. As partial as I am to aesthetics, that's not going to encourage anyone to indulge, even if it does allow them to go longer without smelling like a whale carcass.

So, I came up with an idea, in addition to adapting this unique bathing habit, these oils could be used to augment a player's abilities slightly, or provide subtle benefits. For instance, the oil of [Minty Mythruna plant here] could be used to decrease the effects of illnesses, if ilnesses are something you have interest in on the player side. Otherwise, oils could have simple effects like making tasks involving manual dexterity easier, or boosting natural healing, or enhancing strength in combat, and so on. Since reptilians wouldn't get as intense of a benefit from bathing, and since they don't produce any secretions(irl at least~), it would be fair to make bathing oils last longer on them.

The final part of this idea would be somewhat the same idea -- using plants or animal products to attract certain mobs, and repel others. Though, that may be a bit more of a general idea than one relating to the oils.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 06:53:04 PM by Rayblon » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: