Mythruna
March 28, 2024, 08:43:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A little progress...  (Read 12152 times)
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« on: December 30, 2017, 04:27:24 AM »

Just plopping this here before anywhere else...

You may remember the physics engine work I did earlier in the year... rewriting from the ground up with zone support, etc..

Well, I'm finally getting around to integrating the block mesh colliders and such.  As seen above.  Right now I only have sphereToBlocks() and sphereToSphere() collisions working but it's a start.

The blocksToBlocks() is considerably more complicated but getting this far was quite a chore and lots of problems have now been solved already. 

Having a base framework to build on has been nice because I can build in testing and debugging support as I go.  meaning: I can thoroughly test each piece as I add it.  I even found a collision bug in the balls-and-blocks demo this is based on.

My goals for Monday is to get blocksToBlocks() collisions done so I can throw block objects around as well as the spheres.  Wish me luck.

(I will need it... this week has been bad for productivity, lost heat for 3 days, both cars wouldn't start, etc... expensive week.)
Teknonick

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2017, 10:27:37 AM »

Hey Paul! Nice to see you're still working on this project here. Hopefully nothing else slows you down and you get some actual peace and quiet to work on the fun stuff.
Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2017, 06:37:55 PM »

(I will need it... this week has been bad for productivity, lost heat for 3 days, both cars wouldn't start, etc... expensive week.)

Oof. It's like you get jinxed every time you try to work on Mythruna. This definitely looks promising at any rate. It's nice to see more progress, at least. Smiley

Pardon my ignorance on the matter, but what are the difficulties with implementing block-to-block collision versus sphere collision? Just stability issues, or is there something fundamentally different about it?

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2018, 06:47:40 AM »

Oof. It's like you get jinxed every time you try to work on Mythruna.

Yes, I often feel that way.

Pardon my ignorance on the matter, but what are the difficulties with implementing block-to-block collision versus sphere collision? Just stability issues, or is there something fundamentally different about it?

Sphere-to-blocks... there is only one sphere and many blocks.  Blocks-to-blocks there are many blocks and many blocks... in any kind of orientation.  (A sphere has no orientation, really.)

But I've made progress here also:

In many ways, that's an even worst case scenario because so far in this engine I don't have partial blocks... so I recreated the chair and the table from quarter size blocks.  So each chair leg, table leg, etc. is 2x2 blocks wide.  Lots more work for the collision system to do... and lots and lots more contacts to resolve.

I guess the plus side is that any optimizations I make for stability and performance will be that much easier to see.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: