Mythruna
March 28, 2024, 12:02:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Why does it seem Minecraft is stealing Mythruna ideas?  (Read 33057 times)
Freejack

View Profile
« on: October 03, 2011, 11:07:46 AM »

I talk to Paul then I turn around and there is a pre-release of Minecraft 1.9 with the  very ideas that Paul had mentioned to me that he has been working on and his videos are proof of it. I go and look at the Minecraft forums and they mention it but they don't mention they are doing it. Well any way Paul keep up the awesome work. It just makes you think someone hanging out here is not here for the assist, they here for the ideas.
xzardas

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 11:33:35 AM »

it is always possible that they just came up with the same idea. its always possible

yeah right. Max 300; characters remaining: 254
BAZINGA!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 12:02:00 PM »

Notch is having his eyes everywhere.  Shocked
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 12:20:49 PM »

I talk to Paul then I turn around and there is a pre-release of Minecraft 1.9 with the  very ideas that Paul had mentioned to me that he has been working on and his videos are proof of it. I go and look at the Minecraft forums and they mention it but they don't mention they are doing it. Well any way Paul keep up the awesome work. It just makes you think someone hanging out here is not here for the assist, they here for the ideas.

Are you speaking of something specific in this case?

It is a little disconcerting that Minecraft seems to be knocking off many features from my roadmap.  As far as I know, many of these weren't even on their radar when I started Mythruna back in February... but oh, well.  All I can do is make the game that I want to play and hope others do, too.
Freejack

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 01:47:05 PM »

Nothing specific at the moment, just what you had told me all the sudden shows up over there. This was released today..............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UyxjF9ceMk
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 01:48:41 PM by Freejack » Logged
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 01:51:50 PM »

Ah, ok... the "his videos are proof of it" part scared me a little.  There aren't too many unique features highlighted in the videos and the ones that are I still thought were unique, e.g.: objects and physics.

...though I do find it interesting that their lighting is done more like mine now.
Freejack

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 02:04:06 PM »

Also when the world got griefed the tower took a big hit again. I can't fix it. I check it out.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2011, 02:05:14 PM »

Also when the world got griefed the tower took a big hit again. I can't fix it. I check it out.

I need to give myself an admin tool to move properties.  Someone else squatted on the tower and I'd like to give it back to you.  I may do that tonight.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2011, 02:05:41 PM »

Note: you have a PM from me.
caesar
Forum's Janitor
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2011, 02:21:59 AM »

It's hard to say someome is stealing ideas. And in fact I don't have a problem with the villages and stuff MC adds now.
Villages are atm ugly and useless, the wired looking villagers have no use at all. No way MC competes Mythruna's goals at this point. The added features in the releases seem to be rushed, buggy villages without inhabitants, griefing npcs etc.
No idea where MC is going, the variety of new features makes it difficult to identify the final goal and does not fix the big MC problem that it gets boring after some time playing it and tired out most features.

Mythruna has a final goal Paul wants to reach. MC added some things that were on the list of Mythruna but added loads of other stuff, too. So I personally don't think MC is stealing Pauls ideas but the lack of a concept makes it look like stealing. On the other hand I'm sure Mojang is buisy on the internet and will be inspired of other new games and concepts.

I'm not worried at all. Paul aims for a goal MC will never reach or is wanted to reach.
sameer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2011, 06:34:14 PM »

Minecraft is just a game with no goals. You can do anything in it as you like.

But Mythruna is better, it has specific goals and it makes it easier to follow a set of rules especially for new players.

But, of course same ideas can pop up in minds, so its totally a coincidence or a suggestion from someone else by seeing Mythruna i guess.

We shoudn't be worried so much though.  Tongue
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2011, 08:38:21 PM »

Yeah, I sort of agree... a good idea is a good idea.  And as such it's likely that many people will think of it.  I believe my good idea bullet points are strikingly different in their details but only time will tell.

I will alter one of your points slightly, though...  Minecraft does not define goals but as it stands nearly all of the goals are of the "I'm going to build X" variety.  The entire game is setup to support that in one way or another but at the end of the day it's pretty much all about what you've built and how hard it was to do.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with that... it's a heck of a lot of fun.

What I want to accomplish with Mythruna is a more varied set of potential goals... but it's ultimately still your choice as to which path you will take.  Will you accumulate wealth, will you run your own town, will you build your own dungeon and populate it, will you trying to come up with some new magic or mechanical device, or will you continue to improve your character until you can potentially go toe-to-toe with dragons.... or will you just mine and build a giant castle shaped like a fist.  Your story is up to you and you can change your mind.

If I create an overall set quest in the initial version it will probably be something overarching like "kill the seven elemental dragons" or something like that.  But really, if I have my way, you will feel pretty well accomplished if you manage to kill just one.

But, you know... we'll see. Smiley
caesar
Forum's Janitor
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2011, 01:11:21 AM »

Hmm only a Building stuff game?
Well MC alpha was that kind of game but Mojang is adding loads of features that aim for another goal:

- XP - not needed at all for just building stuff
- Survival mode, building mode and with 1.9 hardcore mode where you can only die once
- random mines - nothing sepecial for building stuff but explore!
- potions with 1.9 - increase strength/speed, poison someone else

In my opinion MC first added features to make it harder to build stuff, health bar, sleeping, harvesting to get food and so on. But now they add RPG elements, XP, random villages with npcs and options to increase your stats for some time and decrease your enemy's stats. You will even need to get a certain level to use a book wich tells you some stats of you gear.

So you have 3 choices to play it:

- building mode - let the blocks speak
- survival mode - kind of RPG
- hardcore mode - survival at its hardest, one creep can kill you, kind of voxel survival horror ^^
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2011, 08:14:11 AM »

I think the new features are cool but I don't think they've really taken them far enough to be a separate game on their own yet.  It will be interesting to see where they end up.

Because as it seems to me now, the only point of all of that other stuff is to give you more ways to build or to make the grind more interesting. 

Survival itself is not the end or you'd just build a dirt tower and stand on it forever (or have they added hunger?).

So it comes down to building your "fort" or finding a camp and then going out into the world to get more stuff... either to build the armor you need or to make your fort better... or to explore farther away from your fort or survive long enough to build a new one (though the farther away you get from spawn the dumber that idea seems... unless they've also moved the respawn point somehow).

What they've added could add a lot of variety to that.  It remains to be seen what that variety will be exactly but I think that it's all an improvement.  You'll probably never get away from digging, though... after all is it "mine" craft. 

(And I think it's a really fun game... don't get me wrong.  I obsessed over it for weeks before they even added the new stuff... though I'm reasonably sure the new stuff wouldn't have made me play longer either, yet.)

In Mythruna, you will never have to mine if you don't want to... it's not a mining game.  In fact, two of the designed playable races will never mine on their own (player characters can at a penalty when playing those races).  I just hope I get my merchants in before Minecraft decides to gut their whole premise and add them. Wink
sameer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2011, 07:07:51 PM »

You are compeletly correct, its the competition that drives the soul of the developers and shapes the world of gaming.

So i think Mythruna is going strong and it dosen't need to worry about others copying its idea, because the idea first would be implemented here, which people can clearly see the original source.

And yes, copying ideas generally helps at some extent, but copying everything makes it more dumber.

Its the minds of the gamers to decide with they like to play and why. I'm sure they have their own reasons.

So we all should allow competition to pop up now and then, its for the better of everyone.

I'm satisfied on pspeed's view on this.   I havent played Mythruna yet, sadly due to my Opengl version lol.
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: