Mythruna
March 28, 2024, 01:45:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Mythruna "Story"  (Read 93938 times)
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2012, 08:10:17 PM »

Well, maybe you could add a few like notes or paper. Maybe even a few books that tell you more of that history! That would be awesome to find in a library... Its not a "Story" but you could always read about what happened and find out the truth in books.. Cheesy

Yeah, and the loading screen will have random scraps of paper in among the photos I will add.  When I redo the menus and UI.
Teknonick

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2012, 01:25:43 PM »

Well, maybe you could add a few like notes or paper. Maybe even a few books that tell you more of that history! That would be awesome to find in a library... Its not a "Story" but you could always read about what happened and find out the truth in books.. Cheesy

Yeah, and the loading screen will have random scraps of paper in among the photos I will add.  When I redo the menus and UI.

Ooh! That's awesome to hear! Well, I just hope this dosn't go to badly. I love it when you can make your own story, but if theres not enough stuff... Then that will be kind of hard. I have no worries that this won't have "Enough stuff" though! Just can't wait till we can fight, and craft those Customizable weapons!!
scorch

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2012, 01:37:39 PM »

I'll just give my two cents. Smiley

The thing I loke the most in games is for sure their story: perhaps this is because I love books, movies? Doesn't matter. It may be a question of opinion, but I believe that in games like Mythruna, story is a very important part of the game. Maybe it's not the story the character follows, the "campaign", but more the global story of the world where the game's set.

I'll just take the example of Assassin's Creed and Mass Effect. One of the things that keep players waiting for the next installment of the series is to know what's happening next (at least that's what happens with me and I believe with a lot more people). The fact is that the stories are intriguing and are unveiled as the player progresses through the game.

That's what I think that should happen in Mythruna. The game should have a heavy worked background story, and a mystery, something that the players will want to find out. Instead of being just a game, with gameplay (like He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named... ok, like Minecraft), but also with a good story. Make it be supported by string facts, I mean, where everything has an explanation, or at least, everything makes sense, so that in the end, the player may say: "Oh, it makes sense. I've never thought this was the reason!".

Sorry about this huge maybe-not-that-big text. Smiley
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2012, 01:50:06 PM »

Modders can add whatever stories they want.  The main game will have a "setting" (racial interplay, common bad guys, other triggered bad things) but that's about it.  I can't randomly generate a story and anything other than your explanation for being there and the setting would seem tacked on.

Stories tend to get pretty specific pretty fast... "The kingdom of Whosit has been at war with the..."  The kingdom of what?  Which one?  Was that randomly generated in this world or not?  I picked this randomly generated one automatically and then it was destroyed by a dragon within the first 20 minutes of the game...

So many things can go wrong.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2012, 01:51:17 PM »

Please trust me that stuff like this is important to me too but just may not be feasible in this kind of game.

That being said, I will carry "setting" as far as I'm able... enough that it may feel like "story" to some people even if I know better.
Teknonick

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2012, 05:00:06 PM »

Please trust me that stuff like this is important to me too but just may not be feasible in this kind of game.

That being said, I will carry "setting" as far as I'm able... enough that it may feel like "story" to some people even if I know better.
Alright, I'm OK with having no story, but the way you've put it....

That seems even more intresting xD You could simply make it, so if a town is destroyed by a.... Chicken.... The "Story" changes a little.I'm still saying, there will be NO WAY to make a main FOLLOW THOUGH story to the game.

Just saying if a Town is destroyed by a Chicken jumping up and knocking a torch down and starting a fire, Other towns nearby should gasp if you mention the towns name, and say how it was such a freak accident.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2012, 05:09:45 PM »

I really want the NPCs to be aware of world events and I will do everything in my power to make it so... drawing on experience with knowledge-based systems, etc.

It may still be impossible. Smiley
Teknonick

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2012, 07:25:18 PM »

I really want the NPCs to be aware of world events and I will do everything in my power to make it so... drawing on experience with knowledge-based systems, etc.

Ooh its plenty possible. But to what extent... I'd really like them to have to witness, or hear it from someone else though. So if like a dwarven house blew up underground and there was one person nearby it, no one would know it blew up, except him. Then he would run to a town and let gossip tell the tale... Now stuff like that........ That's more likely to be impossible Smiley
ayoriceball
Donators

Control Magic

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2012, 08:50:41 PM »

"Remember that, when it comes to games, it's not about the story, or the gameplay... it's about the story of the gameplay."

From Bay12Forums
Don't dwarven ladies know they're beautiful the way they are? They don't need to starve themselves to look like those elven bitches.
I have a skin, a potato has a skin, therefore, I'm God
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2012, 09:10:17 PM »

Ooh its plenty possible. But to what extent... I'd really like them to have to witness, or hear it from someone else though. So if like a dwarven house blew up underground and there was one person nearby it, no one would know it blew up, except him. Then he would run to a town and let gossip tell the tale... Now stuff like that........ That's more likely to be impossible Smiley

But that's exactly what I was talking about... because "all knowing NPCs" are no fun. Smiley  Not to mention that it would be strange if an NPC didn't know about the town 3 km away today (because you haven't been there and it hasn't been generated yet) but suddenly after you've visited that town, that same NPC suddenly knows all about it.  Lame.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2012, 09:11:43 PM »

"Remember that, when it comes to games, it's not about the story, or the gameplay... it's about the story of the gameplay."

I like that.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2012, 09:20:19 PM »

Here is a concrete example on where "story" can go wrong in a random world.

The races are an aspect of "setting" and they have their in-built conflicts and default relationships... but the game may generate in such a way that two natural enemies never find each other... or even worse, are somehow generated close enough in such a way that they get wiped out right away.  It would suck if a hard-coded story somehow relied on one of those things.

But more specifically, there is a secret 8th race that will be nothing but legend until a certain event or events happens.  In some worlds, this could happen right away and the 8th race then greatly impacts the "story" that the player creates through their actions.  In another world, those events may never happen and the 8th race remains nothing but some teasing scrawlings and the NPCs of the world pay little attention to the idea.

My goal is to provide a setting for the player to create their own story through their actions (and I will do my best to track that in a way that they can look back on).  The specifics of the setting may be different in each new world... and the challenges will be different.

I also want to provide a setting for modders to import their favorite D&D story or custom run an adventure with their friend by acting as a DM on their own private server (like in Neverwinter Nights... this was super fun and pretty much killed pen-and-paper role-playing for my group of friends).

Because of that, I may include small story-based adventures here and there just as a test of the system... and just as likely to be separate downloads.  But I don't plan an over-arching story except the origin, player, dragon, 8th race, etc. setup.  If I do my job right, the stories will find themselves.
Teknonick

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2012, 09:41:51 AM »

Here is a concrete example on where "story" can go wrong in a random world.

The races are an aspect of "setting" and they have their in-built conflicts and default relationships... but the game may generate in such a way that two natural enemies never find each other... or even worse, are somehow generated close enough in such a way that they get wiped out right away.  It would suck if a hard-coded story somehow relied on one of those things.

But more specifically, there is a secret 8th race that will be nothing but legend until a certain event or events happens.  In some worlds, this could happen right away and the 8th race then greatly impacts the "story" that the player creates through their actions.  In another world, those events may never happen and the 8th race remains nothing but some teasing scrawlings and the NPCs of the world pay little attention to the idea.

My goal is to provide a setting for the player to create their own story through their actions (and I will do my best to track that in a way that they can look back on).  The specifics of the setting may be different in each new world... and the challenges will be different.

I also want to provide a setting for modders to import their favorite D&D story or custom run an adventure with their friend by acting as a DM on their own private server (like in Neverwinter Nights... this was super fun and pretty much killed pen-and-paper role-playing for my group of friends).

Because of that, I may include small story-based adventures here and there just as a test of the system... and just as likely to be separate downloads.  But I don't plan an over-arching story except the origin, player, dragon, 8th race, etc. setup.  If I do my job right, the stories will find themselves.

Alright, that's exactly what I had in mind! Its glad to know that the dwavern home under the tree that no one knew about got destroyed then suddenly everyone knows about it.
The way your going, sounds exactly how I want the game to play out! So I'm glad to hear all the things I heard!

Also when you said "But I don't plan an over-arching story except the origin, player, dragon, 8th race, etc. setup." I think I now know the 8th race. You need to be more carefull how you say things Smiley. And if its possible for me to play the 8th race, I WOULD SO LOVE IT! I'm not going to say to the public what I think it is, becuase if I'm right, your scrap him and make a new one D:!
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2012, 09:51:58 AM »

Also when you said "But I don't plan an over-arching story except the origin, player, dragon, 8th race, etc. setup." I think I now know the 8th race. You need to be more carefull how you say things Smiley. And if its possible for me to play the 8th race, I WOULD SO LOVE IT! I'm not going to say to the public what I think it is, becuase if I'm right, your scrap him and make a new one D:!

I think you are reading too much into it.  I can guarantee you that you cannot guess the 8th race by that sentence.  And you will never be able to choose to play the 8th race.
Moonkey

This is probably a picture.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2012, 11:05:40 AM »

And also for me to jump in: You said "your scrap him". HIM? You just gave your idea out to the public. Even tough that's not the 8th race, try to be less of an open book. xDDD

Mythruna: Don't you dare read any posts I made before 2014.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
  Print  

Jump to: