Mythruna
March 28, 2024, 06:31:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Mythruna "Story"  (Read 93975 times)
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2012, 05:20:20 PM »

But... you totally said whispers.....
Can we refer to them as The Whispers until we discover what they are?
thats a good name for them actually. Since when have you heard someone else use The Whispers as a name for something? never, thats when. its original!

Thanks.  There are other things about them that are kind of cool, too.  It takes all of my strength not to reveal more. Smiley  I really want to leave a little mystery in the world.
Moonkey

This is probably a picture.

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2012, 05:28:54 PM »

But... you totally said whispers.....
Can we refer to them as The Whispers until we discover what they are?
thats a good name for them actually. Since when have you heard someone else use The Whispers as a name for something? never, thats when. its original!

Thanks.  There are other things about them that are kind of cool, too.  It takes all of my strength not to reveal more. Smiley  I really want to leave a little mystery in the world.
You just want someone to share your secrets to. Haha.

Mythruna: Don't you dare read any posts I made before 2014.
BigredRm
Donators

<-o Word up goes to that modern man o->

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2012, 05:37:02 PM »

Whats reality without rumors?

Visit Iron Island @ 1708,702
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2012, 06:56:10 PM »

I've told my wife about them... but she just kind of looks at me funny sometimes. Smiley
Moonkey

This is probably a picture.

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 09, 2012, 09:48:39 PM »

I've told my wife about them... but she just kind of looks at me funny sometimes. Smiley
Now you need a nearby geeky neighbor.

Mythruna: Don't you dare read any posts I made before 2014.
Iggyjeckel
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 10, 2012, 12:49:29 AM »

I try and explain to my wife what im doing in programming, her first question.....is this more of the black box stuff....then I shut up
belgariad87
Donators

RPG player for life

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 10, 2012, 05:02:27 AM »

who needs a neighbor when you have an online forum?

I try and explain to my wife what im doing in programming, her first question.....is this more of the black box stuff....then I shut up
thats hilarious.

Specs for future reference:
Windows 7 64bit ; Intel Quad Core ; 8GB RAM ; AMD Radeon HD 6800 ; TB HD
JKybett

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2012, 01:24:03 PM »

Question: Would we be able to seek out The Whispers or would we only discover them if we accidentally triggered their arrival?

Greatest Game ever                                                      Greatest Game ever
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 10, 2012, 02:17:34 PM »

Question: Would we be able to seek out The Whispers or would we only discover them if we accidentally triggered their arrival?

I cannot really answer this in a way that is satisfactory.  Technically the answer is "yes" to both questions but it would require a great deal of inference on the players' part... or someone to have posted spoilers to the forums down the road. Smiley
ayoriceball
Donators

Control Magic

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 10, 2012, 02:22:02 PM »

I cannot really answer this in a way that is satisfactory.  Technically the answer is "yes" to both questions but it would require a great deal of inference on the players' part... or someone to have posted spoilers to the forums down the road. Smiley

I knew it. They're like Bogeymen.

From Bay12Forums
Don't dwarven ladies know they're beautiful the way they are? They don't need to starve themselves to look like those elven bitches.
I have a skin, a potato has a skin, therefore, I'm God
belgariad87
Donators

RPG player for life

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 10, 2012, 03:06:25 PM »

IMHO, i think that keeping this race shadowy and mysterious is a great way to give an awesome, fantastical-yet-realistic history to the game. make a couple books about them but reference them in many books, maybe make ruins of their temples or ruins as a place to go adventuring? who needs a cemetary run when you can explore the ancient and bewildering wonders the Whispers?

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 10, 2012, 03:23:10 PM »

IMHO, i think that keeping this race shadowy and mysterious is a great way to give an awesome, fantastical-yet-realistic history to the game. make a couple books about them but reference them in many books, maybe make ruins of their temples or ruins as a place to go adventuring? who needs a cemetary run when you can explore the ancient and bewildering wonders the Whispers?

I cannot really respond exactly to why this won't work without giving too much away.  There is a reason they are only legend now, though.

References to them will be scattered in books.  I think they even probably pop-up in standard sayings, like: "May the Whispers take them." as a kind of curse or something.  Or "The thieves were in and out like the Whispers."
belgariad87
Donators

RPG player for life

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 10, 2012, 03:29:31 PM »

I cannot really respond exactly to why this won't work without giving too much away.  There is a reason they are only legend now, though.

References to them will be scattered in books.  I think they even probably pop-up in standard sayings, like: "May the Whispers take them." as a kind of curse or something.  Or "The thieves were in and out like the Whispers."
if people can make sayings about them then they obviously know at least *of* them. so from what your saying its almost like a voldemort approach... oh well, no more prodding  Smiley continue with your physics and whatnot

Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 10, 2012, 03:34:23 PM »

I got dibs!
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 10, 2012, 03:43:34 PM »

if people can make sayings about them then they obviously know at least *of* them. so from what your saying its almost like a voldemort approach... oh well, no more prodding  Smiley continue with your physics and whatnot

As an example, nearly everyone on earth knows about dragons even though there is no credible evidence that they ever existed.  We cannot go see dragon ruins, etc..  The Mythrunians are considerably more primitive... and if such legends happen to be based on real history (now passed down for 1000 years or whatever) then they might be pretty pervasive despite any evidence of their existence.

Kind of like the bogeyman.

Actually, dragons are an interesting example because they hold a similar place in Mythrunian legend.  The last time one was seen was long enough ago that they are now legend.  You cannot find actual evidence of their existence... only the stories, pictures, carvings, etc..  Some will believe they are just a story or superstition, but like most widely held superstitions, in the back of their mind they will still believe a little bit.

Up until "our people" started visiting the worlds, Magic was in a similar state, too.  Beyond the stuff that seems like some form of alchemy/chemistry, many magic devices don't/didn't work for the natives.  Kind of like if you found the actual Excalibur but it didn't do magic things for you then it was "just another pretty sword".  It might have cultural significance but is otherwise just an artifact.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
  Print  

Jump to: