Mythruna
April 27, 2024, 12:58:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9
  Print  
Author Topic: Races  (Read 142067 times)
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 28, 2012, 10:07:10 PM »

It's funny what a little googling will do, though:
"Argonians should not be able to breathe underwater..."
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/615803-/60054347

Conclusion: they can because they have gills. Smiley  (and because it's no less realistic than shooting lightning from your fingers.Cheesy)
BenKenobiWan
Friendly Moderator
Donators

Jesus loves you!

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 28, 2012, 10:22:53 PM »

Okay, I was wondering how they could live in the desert and the ocean.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 29, 2012, 12:26:13 AM »

Ben and I had a conversation about some of this in game and I will attempt to summarize the more coherent parts...

I do NOT believe that there are separate subraces between some aquatic and non-aquatic version.  It is more likely that they have gills/underwater breathing capability left over from some prehistoric time when their desert homelands were actual oceans.  The majority (perhaps all) of their current cultural history will be based on desert habitats.

re: Swimming ability.  This is more based on environment and experience.  All reptilians have the capability of swimming but only those living near water will know how to do it well.  So it's a skill for which they have innate aptitude, but a skill none-the-less. 

They probably don't have webbed fingers... though a broadness of hand and/or foot may still be well adapted for swimming.  In the non-warrior class, it is likely that there tail could be used for swimming also.

Going along lines of the "warrior class" being a bred-in sub-race, the farther you get away from the ancient seats of culture, the more the reptilian people will resemble some combination of these traits.  So things like tail length/shape, musculature, facial shape, horn placement/size can all be continuous variations between one specimen and another.  Very few will exhibit all warrior or all non-warrior traits anymore.

Do they have claws?  There hands are functional.  If they have claws then they are more like well-kept talons.  In all but the strongest of warriors, finger claws may be minimal.  It is likely that a single or double claw appears somewhere on the forearm.  Either some kind of retractable hook on the inside forearm (kind of like a velociraptor's hooked toe) or long exposed bones/horns that lay down on the outside of the arm (towards the elbow) that can be used for defensive blocking or in a back-hand hooking maneuver for holding prey close.  Perhaps there is a crossed arm (elbow over elbow) opening move that can form deep slices in a prey's belly while also providing a good defensive posture before performing the move.  (Imagine long teeth that protrude from directly outside the wrist, laying down towards the elbow.  If you cross your arms nearly elbow-over-elbow then these 'teeth' are facing your prey.  If you rapidly uncross your arms... well, I wouldn't want to be in the path of that. Wink)

Warriors probably aren't well adapted to swimming.  They still have underwater breathing but their breed would not have needed swimming (heavy armor + swimming doesn't mix) and so are less suited to it the more warrior traits they have.

Reptilian skin may be marked or variegated.  This may also indicate innate ability.  I struggle with how to indicate things like a "shaman" of the tribe.  Tattoos and piercings are one way... a natural coloring denoting a magic sensitivity are another.

Another possibility is that they may have some form of primitive feather that acts like hair.  Like dinosaur feathers...
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2011/09/pictures/110915-amber-dinosaur-feathers-color-science-birds-alberta/
http://hardcorenerdity.com/files/2011/09/dei_head.jpg

This could be another distinction between warriors and non-warriors... either in relative amounts of hair, length, placement.

If it can be made to look cool and not stupid.  I was actually kind of impressed with the dinosaur head pic there, though. Smiley

...and it would be unique.

Warriors will tend to be bigger and bulkier.  More horns, etc..

The other end of the spectrum will be sleeker/stealthier.  All still "scaly" like a lizard... and not slimy.

Mostly carnivores, though that may have been covered somewhere above.

...I think that's all that came out of the conversation.  Maybe I forgot something... I definitely elaborated on a few of them. Smiley
lfraga

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 01, 2012, 09:02:59 PM »

Trying this again - too big of a file size last time and errors did occur.

Just check out the very rough thumbnail shapes, and let me know if you like any of them. You like #--, but make him taller and lankier, but odd muscle groups - get it? And yes, #5 is scratching his head.

I'm going to tinker with more shapes over the weekend, but this is what I have for the moment. Didn't mean for this to take nearly this long, sorry for the wait.

-Lew
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 01, 2012, 09:39:47 PM »

Trying this again - too big of a file size last time and errors did occur.

Just check out the very rough thumbnail shapes, and let me know if you like any of them. You like #--, but make him taller and lankier, but odd muscle groups - get it? And yes, #5 is scratching his head.

I'm going to tinker with more shapes over the weekend, but this is what I have for the moment. Didn't mean for this to take nearly this long, sorry for the wait.

-Lew

(Way cool, dude.)

In some ways, I kind of like all of them but 4.  (and only then because that says more "dragon" to me)... and 5 is just funny because it looks kind of like a teen-age mutant ninja turtle wondering where his shell went. Smiley  Though I totally think some of the older non-warrior class would have bodies like that.

3 and 6 are probably my favorites for non-warrior class.  Though along the lines of a warrior class, I'm really curious where you were going with number 2.  Sometimes I imagine something sleek but with a bulky-muscled upper-body... with perhaps a slightly more ridged skull.

I could definitely see all of these working together.

It's funny this post comes up now because just last night I was poking around for reference material for lizards and cat people (I have a clear painting of the cat people traveling across a savannah that I want to do)... anyway, for some ideas I started poking around some komodo dragon pictures.  The shapes of their faces are sort of not what I want (maybe too conventional) but I appreciate how human-expressive they are.

I guess it's kind of all in the eyes.  I was going to try playing with greatly shortening the head into a more of a round shape and see if I could still keep the eyes and bone structure similar enough to what caught my eye.

Also, there is something about there their skin hangs almost like chainmail that appeals to me... not for the non-warrior class because I imagine them sleeker, but for a broad-shouldered warrior, I could see his back and shoulder skin hanging like that.

I don't know if any of that is useful... but these and others were glimpses in the google image search that caught my imagination.

I'll get in touch off-forum in case an e-mail back and forth might ultimately be more effective.

Thanks again for taking an interest.
Moonkey

This is probably a picture.

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 02, 2012, 10:37:53 AM »

You remind me of skyrims lizard type people, they look like komodo dragons with rounded heads.

Mythruna: Don't you dare read any posts I made before 2014.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 02, 2012, 11:03:27 AM »

You remind me of skyrims lizard type people, they look like komodo dragons with rounded heads.

Sort of.  I remember their heads being taller and thinner (from the front) instead of short and flat like a komodo dragon.

Either way, it's the Argonian head shape I'm trying to avoid because it's pretty cliched at this point.  Which is why I thought to try to maintain the komodo dragon features I liked in a shorter head, more human-like head.  Or maybe a human-style brow with only elongation around the mouth and nose.  <shrug>  I have done no sketches at all for reptilians yet.  They are last on my list. Smiley
ayoriceball
Donators

Control Magic

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 09, 2012, 02:25:52 AM »

I just realized something. Dunno why I haven't thought of this before...

Simians = Imga from The Elder Scrolls. http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Imga

From "The Red Kitchen Reader"; "I was invited to join with a small colony of Imga monkeys, who alone could gather these succulent little mice. Because they lived only on the slenderest branches of the trees, and only on the ends of those same branches, the Imga had to climb beneath them and jump up to "pick" the Kollopi from their perches. Imga are, of course, naturally dexterous, but I was then relatively young and spry, and they let me help them. While I could never jump as high they could, with practice, I found that if I kept my head and upper body rigid, and launched off the ground with a scissors-like kick, I could reach the Kollopi on the lowest branches of the tree. I believe I gathered three Kollopi myself, though with considerable effort."

edit; FutureB >.>
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 02:28:45 AM by ayoriceball » Logged

From Bay12Forums
Don't dwarven ladies know they're beautiful the way they are? They don't need to starve themselves to look like those elven bitches.
I have a skin, a potato has a skin, therefore, I'm God
FutureB
Donators

RAWR

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 09, 2012, 02:27:28 AM »

erm ok....... lululululull

Say the opposite of these words:
1)Always.
2)Coming.
3)From.
4)Take.
5)Me.
6)Down.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 09, 2012, 02:45:34 AM »

Simians = Imga from The Elder Scrolls. http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Imga

Well, I can assure you that I've never seen that before. Smiley

The original idea for the Simians comes from the fact that I use jMonkeyEngine for the base game engine... and I've contributed enough that they made me a core developer.  Some of the other core devs and I were having a chat one day, imagining a game that was based on the forum users and the questions they ask, etc..  The jMonkeyEngine user collective is generally known as "monkeys" so that was a natural point of imagining for creatures in this imaginary game.

I joked that I should include playable monkeys in Mythruna and almost as the words were leaving my fingers in the chat, the real idea started forming.  They would be the smart ones... not the stereotypically primitive or dumb ones.  They would be the tinkerers and the keepers of history, etc... and it all made so much sense that it had to be so.

While I like all of the races and I look forward to playing every one of them (and the cat people have a few surprises in store yet), I think the Simians are still my favorite race for Mythruna.  But maybe that's just because I see my own real-life personality fitting well with that particular archetype.

randomprofile
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: March 09, 2012, 04:13:09 AM »

ummmmmm the TES model looks nothing like Pauls concept art...
ayoriceball
Donators

Control Magic

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 09, 2012, 11:25:45 PM »

ummmmmm the TES model looks nothing like Pauls concept art...
There is no TES model? Tongue And I wasn't comparing their appearances.

From Bay12Forums
Don't dwarven ladies know they're beautiful the way they are? They don't need to starve themselves to look like those elven bitches.
ayoriceball
Donators

Control Magic

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 18, 2012, 04:30:30 PM »

Will the sizes of lizardmen be so varied that we can have something resembling a D&D Kobold?

Also, will each individual civilization or kingdom have it's own physical traits?

From Bay12Forums
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 18, 2012, 04:33:34 PM »

Will the sizes of lizardmen be so varied that we can have something resembling a D&D Kobold?

Also, will each individual civilization or kingdom have it's own physical traits?

I don't know how much variation I will get out of the standard race models.  We'll have to see.
Deathwingoo

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 13, 2012, 12:07:24 AM »

When will u add the races to the game , and will u also add classes maybe?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9
  Print  

Jump to: