Mythruna
March 29, 2024, 01:17:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9
  Print  
Author Topic: Races  (Read 141006 times)
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: December 07, 2012, 07:41:16 PM »

Seriously, though, that sounds amazing, anything you can share on the underwater city concepts?

Just the idea that there are no roads.  The city would somehow layout more 3D than a regular town since it isn't required to stick to a 2D layout.  So your entrances and exits can be pretty much anywhere for a building and most doors would actually be on the bottoms of structures.

I imagine towers and adjoining arches and stuff with different types of building pods attached around for housing.  Then there would be standard main buildings that are up on pillars or rooted solidly into the ground.  I'm imagining it as if you tried to adapt gothic architecture to a combination sand castles and coral formations.  That's probably clearer in my head.

...someday I will draw some concept art and/or just make a concept city to play with ideas.
belgariad87
Donators

RPG player for life

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 07, 2012, 08:07:33 PM »

I imagine towers and adjoining arches and stuff with different types of building pods attached around for housing.  Then there would be standard main buildings that are up on pillars or rooted solidly into the ground.  I'm imagining it as if you tried to adapt gothic architecture to a combination sand castles and coral formations.  That's probably clearer in my head.
I think that fits perfectly

Specs for future reference:
Windows 7 64bit ; Intel Quad Core ; 8GB RAM ; AMD Radeon HD 6800 ; TB HD
JKybett

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 08, 2012, 12:40:21 PM »

Just the idea that there are no roads.  The city would somehow layout more 3D than a regular town since it isn't required to stick to a 2D layout.  So your entrances and exits can be pretty much anywhere for a building
Yes! I hate when you see in TV, Films and the odd game an underwater FLAT city when an underwater city isn't BOUND by gravity the same way as a surface city.

and most doors would actually be on the bottoms of structures.
Genius. This could also allow buildings like I mentioned before with the trapped air so non-aquatic creatures could use these buildings too. Possibly more common in political or trading buildings for the sake of better inter-racial relations and trading? (The reason I'm really hoping for this is because I'd probably want to be an avain which would make navigating an underwater city somewhat problematic without air-pockets to use)

I imagine towers and adjoining arches and stuff with different types of building pods attached around for housing.
Nice, this would certainly give the cities a very epic feel which is perfect as it'll give the whole place more of a treat to discover.

Then there would be standard main buildings that are up on pillars or rooted solidly into the ground.
What kind of "main" buildings did you envision for the underwater cities? The same as the normal towns or are there any additional ones you'd thought of?

I'm imagining it as if you tried to adapt gothic architecture to a combination sand castles and coral formations.
Love it. I'm really getting an Atlantis-style feel to this.

That's probably clearer in my head.
I wish I could see what's in your head, this sounds amazing, man.

...someday I will draw some concept art and/or just make a concept city to play with ideas.
:O Please do! I would LOVE to see these.

Sorry for my messages being so long. I just have lots to say.

Greatest Game ever                                                      Greatest Game ever
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 08, 2012, 01:46:29 PM »

It is ok, many new people say plenty, and we will happily read it Smiley
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 08, 2012, 03:01:02 PM »

and most doors would actually be on the bottoms of structures.
Genius. This could also allow buildings like I mentioned before with the trapped air so non-aquatic creatures could use these buildings too.

Exactly.... well, except the reasons.  It does allow air to be trapped in them and it would theoretically also keep currents from racing through your houses.  I think it turns out that silt is less likely to collect in your house if you have an under-door.

In general, if there are still underwater reptilians in existence then they have been completely isolated from the rest of the world cultures... even there own desert-dwelling cousins.  It is unlikely that they would keep air pockets for other races though not impossible.

However, there may be reasons that a reptilian needs to use fire or other heat magic that would require a sizable air pocket.

re: larger buildings:  Government buildings, markets, churches, etc..  If there is a market at a reptilian city then it is unlikely to be an "open sea" market.  Or if it is then it's a large constructed plaza.  Can you imagine trying to run a market right on the sea floor?  Silt being kicked up around you, large schools of fish just swimming through, etc..  In the middle of a city, I could see a raised stone plaza but otherwise I think markets will be indoor.
JKybett

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 08, 2012, 03:57:27 PM »

In general, if there are still underwater reptilians in existence then they have been completely isolated from the rest of the world cultures... even there own desert-dwelling cousins.  It is unlikely that they would keep air pockets for other races though not impossible.
I was thinking of this as a more recent addition to the cities and towns, something that would occur in more open communities since their contact and dealings with land-dwelling races.

However, there may be reasons that a reptilian needs to use fire or other heat magic that would require a sizable air pocket.
Cooking fish?
re: larger buildings:  Government buildings, markets, churches, etc..  If there is a market at a reptilian city then it is unlikely to be an "open sea" market.  Or if it is then it's a large constructed plaza.  Can you imagine trying to run a market right on the sea floor?  Silt being kicked up around you, large schools of fish just swimming through, etc..  In the middle of a city, I could see a raised stone plaza but otherwise I think markets will be indoor.
Wow, you seriously do think of everything, don't you?

Greatest Game ever                                                      Greatest Game ever
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 08, 2012, 06:20:10 PM »

Cooking fish?

Maybe.  Or heating or experimenting/building magic devices or related materials or something.
belgariad87
Donators

RPG player for life

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 08, 2012, 07:04:44 PM »

Cooking fish?
Fishing should be a very useful and plausible way to get food resources. Personally i love games that have fishing an activity.

Blackslash

Whats up

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 09, 2012, 02:17:40 PM »

possibly u could have citizens if u r like a king

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Blackslash~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nobody is perfect therefore I am nobody
JKybett

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 09, 2012, 02:42:47 PM »

Surely, anyone owning a plot within a city or town would automatically be a citizen under the rule of whoever runs the town/city? Although your comment does beg the question....

Countries?

belgariad87
Donators

RPG player for life

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 09, 2012, 04:27:59 PM »

Surely, anyone owning a plot within a city or town would automatically be a citizen under the rule of whoever runs the town/city? Although your comment does beg the question....

Countries?
countries seem kinda unnecessarily complex. races are enough, maybe a couple factions of races. i like the world to look alive, not politically overwhelming.

between skills, adventuring, trading and property its already alot to have to keep an eye on. and obviously there will be more than those by the end.

JKybett

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 10, 2012, 01:46:34 PM »

Fair point.
It would be nice to have a system for allied and rival towns/cities, though.

Stickman Sham

"I did it! I took the boots!"

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 16, 2013, 07:37:49 PM »

Clothing options with even full face ninja masks that only show the eyes would be a good basic option.

“It’s like, ‘hell yeah, I’m all stoked for this lasagna,’ and then you nuke it and the cheese gets all scabby on top and it’s like eating a scab, you know?” - Jesse Pinkman
Sean
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 16, 2013, 08:30:50 PM »

Clothing options with even full face ninja masks that only show the eyes would be a good basic option.
That would make a cool custom skin!

"People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
BenKenobiWan
Friendly Moderator
Donators

Jesus loves you!

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 16, 2013, 09:23:57 PM »

That would make a cool custom skin!
I hope we can make clothes with enough detail to do that sort of thing.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9
  Print  

Jump to: