Mythruna
April 18, 2024, 12:20:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: A Network Test  (Read 34955 times)
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« on: October 25, 2011, 02:13:51 AM »

As many of you may know, Mythruna object movement doesn't always do so well over poor connections.  Even over really good connections there can be some serious lag.  Part of this is because some original temporary systems (which performed 100 times better than expected) have outlived their original usefulness.

Physics threatens to overwhelm all of that and so I've started implementing a more efficient object sync.  To gather information on limitations and to test and benchmark basic performance, I've created a network test to exercise the core components.

You can download the test here and there are instructions on how to run it there.

http://www.mythruna.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Network_Test

It looks like this when running:

The linked page explains what some of that means.

I would really appreciate it if any of you can download it and run it for a few minutes.  If you also follow up with information about how smooth (or not) that it runs then that would be greatly appreciated.  There are more details on that page.

Thanks for your help!  Smiley
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 03:24:40 AM »

For those with performance issues, It might be worthwhile to check ping to my server with the regular ping command and/or do a network speed test to a host in or near Washington DC (using one of the online speed tests).

I dunno.  Maybe it adds information.
Trecool
Donators

I love drums, I love Guitar, I love Mythruna

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 06:39:13 AM »

Hi,

I have run your test. It's stable for me with 120Ko/seconds of speed connection. I have 900-1200FPS and my ping is 165-175 because I live in France Smiley

First Capture : 1280x720
Second Capture : 1920x1080

I hope to have helped you Smiley

xzardas

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 09:01:50 AM »

paul, dont think im gone. im staying up to date every day Cheesy

yeah right. Max 300; characters remaining: 254
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 11:10:17 AM »

Hi,

I have run your test. It's stable for me with 120Ko/seconds of speed connection. I have 900-1200FPS and my ping is 165-175 because I live in France Smiley

I hope to have helped you Smiley

Thanks, those are great times.  You will have no problem playing on my server no matter what design I use for prediction.

Now, if you guys could only give some of your internet to some of our German players.  They seem to have horrible connections from my viewing of the logs. Smiley
BAZINGA!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 11:22:40 AM »

May interessting to you.The test was made on an mobile Internet stick.And the location was not Germany, Austria FTW. Cheesy
Trecool
Donators

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 11:54:28 AM »

In France, the Network is better than the Germany and the great britain. I don't know why but I have already play with German players and it's true apparently.

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2011, 11:55:39 AM »

@BAZINGA, That's excellent.  I saw your connection stats come in and nslookup'ed the IP to a .at domain.  Austria internet seems really nice. Smiley
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2011, 11:57:29 AM »

Someone connecting from Brazil was seeing 7 SECOND ping times and nearly 90% packet loss.

I suppose we should all feel a little more fortunate in light of that. Wink
BAZINGA!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2011, 12:07:17 PM »

In France, the Network is better than the Germany and the great britain. I don't know why but I have already play with German players and it's true apparently.

As far as i know there are tons of interent providers in germany which all have a high difference between the speed.
Anyway où habites-tu en france ? Wink
Trecool
Donators

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2011, 01:19:30 PM »

I live all around of paris. I does'nt say that the Germans or the English people have bad network. But I learn network studies and In France, it is more stable than Germany or Great Britain. But 1 month ago, Network have had bug lol

BAZINGA!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2011, 01:29:14 PM »

Never mind. Grin
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2011, 09:38:05 PM »

If anyone tried this and had hangs before starting, etc. and just didn't report them... there is a new version up with better error handling.

Thanks again to all who have tested so far.  It's been very illuminating.
caesar
Forum's Janitor
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2011, 11:51:21 PM »

I do live in germany and will hopefully have the time to test it out today.
Usually you have very good connections in cities but in more rural areas the connections are often horrible.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2011, 12:22:01 AM »

I do live in germany and will hopefully have the time to test it out today.
Usually you have very good connections in cities but in more rural areas the connections are often horrible.

Thanks.  The player Normen also lives in Germany and he was getting a great connection earlier.

So I guess those early connectors were just the unlucky ones. Smiley
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: