Mythruna
April 20, 2024, 05:50:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Question about the future  (Read 7403 times)
Mairic

View Profile
« on: November 17, 2011, 08:26:04 PM »

I love the look of the game and a lot of the features but I actually don't like having infinite blocks. Are there plans to include mining, crafting, etc?

Thanks in advance
KEEP UP THE AWESOME WORK
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 09:44:21 PM »

Yes, definitely.  What you are playing now is just the engine test.  And the best way to test an engine is to let people place whatever blocks they want to anywhere they want to... within reason.

Resources will definitely be limited in the real game (though there will always be a build mode for servers that want that)... in fact, most materials you will be able to buy if you don't want to dig for them.  Presuming you have the gold through other means.

Even the object blueprints that players can create now will ultimately cost resources to actually turn them into placeable objects.  Hopefully, item creation will be as flexible but have to go through a more defined process.
BenKenobiWan
Friendly Moderator
Donators

Jesus loves you!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 08:57:41 PM »

At least for the rough statue type things you can make now, you could just say one full block = 16 small ones (it's actually 64, but that's a bit much)
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011, 07:28:49 AM »

The materials already know how much they weigh, how dense they are, etc.  And the block types already know what percentage of that they are.  This is how the physics knows how heavy to make things, where their center of gravity is, and so on.
BenKenobiWan
Friendly Moderator
Donators

Jesus loves you!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2011, 09:56:18 AM »

I was talking about for crafting, and I think you were talking about physics? For crafting, maybe you could get more or less small blocks depending on your skill.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2011, 12:27:58 PM »

I see what you are saying and maybe. 

One thing I wanted to do away with was managing stacks of rocks in your inventory.  So collected block materials will be stored in raw form magically in some crystals... and basically unlimited.  Other things won't be so easy but raw materials are just units at that point and it seems wrong to then have material usage be skill/tool based.  I'm very likely to have the ability to carve small blocks be tool based but it will use the same amount of material either way.

So if you make your own solid 1 meter stone cube from 1/4 blocks it will cost the same in materials as placing a 1 meter block. 

This also makes reclaiming the materials from objects easier since it's fully reciprocal.
BenKenobiWan
Friendly Moderator
Donators

Jesus loves you!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2011, 01:33:51 PM »

Oh, yeah. I forgot you already said they'll be tracked by different units, not cubes.
What you're saying is definitely simpler.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: