Mythruna
April 19, 2024, 01:24:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Make my own server?  (Read 18181 times)
SimpSovar

View Profile
« on: December 18, 2011, 06:20:47 AM »

Hello, i was wondering. ive been looking on the wiki at how to make my own server for mythruna. can i ask. what do i actually do to run it? ive downloaded all the files. but i just dont seem to see how to actually start my server as its explanation on the wiki is a little brief and hard to understand. i get told to use a command to launch the server. but how do i execute this? Do i make it a .bat file  or do i run it another way?
randomprofile
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 01:11:13 PM »

Sadly as far as I know... You need linux to run the server for now... You could use a VM but... I don't think performance would be the best
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 02:09:33 PM »

Sadly as far as I know... You need linux to run the server for now... You could use a VM but... I don't think performance would be the best

This is not true.  You can run the server from any OS.  You just need to download the Linux version because it is the only version that can easily run other entry points.

The .exe bundles are all hard coded to always start the client.

Edit: as a matter of fact, the public server you guys log into is running on a Windows XP machine.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 02:19:40 PM by pspeed » Logged
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 02:19:05 PM »

The "Running a Server" page shows this command with an explanation:

java -Xmx512m -Xms256m -cp %1 mythruna.server.GameServer

The %1 should be the Mythruna-XXXXX.jar that you have extracted from the linux bundle (and all of the other necessary caveats mentioned on that page).

So, for example:
java -Xmx512m -Xms256m -cp Mythruna-20111218.jar mythruna.server.GameServer

This is run from a command prompt.  Though, I'd suggest that if you do not know how to run commands from a command prompt that you might want to wait until the server has a nice clickable icon and a user interface... but if you are brave and tenacious...

You can create a .bat or a .cmd file if you know how to make those.  Or you can just go to your "Start" menu and search for "cmd.exe" to find the "DOS Command Prompt" and run that.  And if you've never done that before, now is where we enter the weird cryptic incantations of the old wizards...

You will need to change to the directory where you installed your mythruna files.  You do this with the "cd" command.  So:
cd \Downloads\Mythruna
as an example.

Sometime (hopefully in the next month or so), I will create a separate stand-alone server bundle with a basic user interface.
SimpSovar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 03:40:18 PM »

Ok i got as far as creating my server. now when i try join it. its another problem. i login / signup to it. then for some reason it just doesnt do anything when i click the "join" button at all. it just clicks in and does nothing..

How can i fix this / what is it?

i do who in server and it comes up and says im in the game but my settings are null

FIXED ------------------

I restarted my game several times and it worked. eventually. thanks for help by the way! Smiley Smiley
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 03:44:20 PM by SimpSovar » Logged
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2011, 05:17:59 PM »

If you do a /who and it shows null for settings then that means the player isn't fully logged in yet.

The GUI system I use has problems and if there are any mistypes or other errors during login then a lot of times you have to restart the client to log in.  It's stupid and I will replace it... until then we limp along. Tongue
randomprofile
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 02:30:03 PM »

Any plans on a whois or a serverlist for servers? So... to host you have to register... So people have to join through a mythruna subdomain, like ender.mythruna.com. To which a user can look up on the database who owns the server... and report them if they making like... "level you up eve though you don't want to" lobbies like in COD.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, 02:54:04 PM »

Yeah, there will be a matching service, definitely.

Characters are locked to a server unless those servers setup portals between other servers.  So it doesn't matter if one server levels you up since that character will live there only.

The matching service will allow a server to list themselves with a description, a recommended/required play style (Hardcore RP, PvP, etc.), and what plug-ins/modes are in effect or required.  I'm going to borrow a lot from the old Neverwinter Nights server lists.  In NWN, any player could run and list a server... but you also paid $60 for that game originally.  There is at least one avenue that I'm exploring that would have server operators pay an additional one-time fee to be a "registered server" which would allow them to use the listing service and any other value-added things the Mythruna site provides.  Sort of a $15 gets you the regular client and another $15 lets you run a "registered server".  You'd still be able to run private servers just for friends for free, I guess.  The thing is, private servers would still be hitting my site for player IDs and such.

If I ever offer a subscription service for servers (where a server admin can charge a subscription and the mythruna store will help facilitate that) then that will also be tied into this server list.  As well as potentially easily letting a player know if they are already compatible (plug-in wise) with the server, etc..

Anyway, these are just things that I'm exploring as possibilities.  I'm not trying to be money grubbing.  Just trying to be fair with respect to my time and expenses and spreading the costs where appropriate. (ie: it would be unfair to charge single player users more to cover the costs of multi-player related stuff, etc.)  And from my experience, most server operators can easily front the one time registration fee.  (And a small barrier to entry automatically weeds out the seedier folks.)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: