Mythruna
March 29, 2024, 05:40:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Forum software  (Read 14194 times)
Zezima

View Profile
« on: July 08, 2011, 11:40:07 AM »

Forum software is not the best, considering the latest leak for SMF 1.1.13 was pronounced on the web (Meaning if people know how to, they can access your account tables and see your password hash - decrypting it)

I suggest either Vbulletin (Costs money but every dollar is worthit). Kinda hard to install plugins, but with some experience, I'm sure you'll learn. If you need help coding plugins or implementing, feel free to turn to me. (ex-vbulletin plugin coder and template designer.)

MYBB - Extremely easy to use, great layout and mechanics to it! Worth a look.

FluxBB - Small boards, unknown to almost everyone but a good structure for mobiles + browsers.

I have a legit Vbulletin license I wouldn't mind distributing to you, since I don't use it anymore. A few months are left on it.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 12:45:04 PM »

This will have to do for now.  I've already used up all of my forum setting up time budget setting this one up.

I have exactly four options that are easy and this one looked the best at the time.  Someone else has suggested Vanilla which is another option but I've run out of time to tweak things.
scorch

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 09:59:04 AM »

@pspeed I don't want to sound rude, but it doesn't makes any sense to use version 1.1.13 of SMF when the latest 2.0 Final version hal already been realesed to the public, exactly one month ago. Wink
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 11:01:59 AM »

I use a hosting provider that provides limited access to the machine.  When they upgrade their version of the one-click install then it is just one click for me.  Otherwise it is potentially hours of digging  into stuff.

I can use one click to install the new version when it comes out or use one click to disable the forums.  Wink  Otherwise it is taking hours away from my limited development time.

I will look into it, though.  If there is some way I can expedite then I will.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 12:41:46 PM »

Upgrading to 1.1.14 was at least a one click install through the forums.  So I have done that at least.  I don't know if it fixes the exploit in 1.1.13 but it supposedly has some security patches.
scorch

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 01:43:08 PM »

Ok. Despite the installation of SMF is simple, at least for those who are accustomed to, I think it can seem a litle hard to those who don't know, and we don't want to steal your time: Mythruna needs it!  Grin
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 02:15:26 PM »

Installing this version was as easy as clicking a button on a web page and then waiting for the confirmation e-mail that the install was complete a few hours later. Smiley  Then my anal retentive side spent 3-4 hours tweaking the look until I didn't hate it.   (which is not something I look forward to for a new version but at least I don't have to decide how to make it look now.)

The issue is that other than the one click installs my provider gives me, installing stuff is a very tedious process unless I want to go through the necessary steps to get an ssh account.  And installing PHP applications from a command line makes my eyes bleed. Wink
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: