Mythruna
April 18, 2024, 12:04:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Rope System  (Read 9638 times)
randomprofile
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« on: August 09, 2011, 10:07:32 PM »

Me and Paul were talking about a rope thing in mythruna and this is just an example of what it could be...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2CgSrZtdmI
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 10:34:03 PM »

Nice.  Heheh... your expectations are so low. Smiley Smiley Smiley

Rope in Mythruna will not be a block type.  It will be a special physics object.

How it will probably work if I can get it working at all....

You will select the rope as your build object.  You will click somewhere and drag.  The click sets the rope end and the drag stretches out some length of it.  When you release the mouse, that's the length of the rope.  If you've attached it to another object then they are now connected.  If you left it dangling then it swings in the breeze... ready to be attached to something else or lengthened.

At least, that's the simplest interface mechanism I can think of.

Flipping it over into the other way, I could click the rope on the back of a chair and drag it out a little before releasing.  Now I have a length of rope attached to the chair, just flopped down.  If I switch off of the rope tool and back to a regular hand or glue or something then I can pick up the end of the rope and attach it to the ceiling.  Now I have a chair swinging from the ceiling.

Note: the above will definitely NOT be in the next release but it's on the plan for how physics should work when finished.  Well, unless I get a super tailwind and everything works smoothly... maybe ropes will get in.  But I still have to write the rendering side of ropes so I sort of doubt it.
Ragor005

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 12:27:55 AM »

nice idea!
it will be fun to make rope bridge too!
caesar
Forum's Janitor
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 03:24:42 AM »

and hang griefers Cheesy

Cool ideas Paul! Cant wait to see where Mythruna goes Smiley
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 03:29:18 AM »

Note: it is possible the rope bridges would explode.  Smiley  And I'm only partially joking.

When many things are chained together it can send the physics engine into fits.  I have some strategies for reducing it but it may always be a little scary to create long chains of things.  We'll see.
scorch

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 03:32:19 AM »

Great. For now, as we don't die when we fall from really high, I'm not verry worried, but I gues i won't be always like that.  Grin
Also Paul already said he would create something to replace the super-hero-like-climbing-mode that exists now, when we press space near a wall. I guess ropes are a great replacement. Cheesy
randomprofile
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 04:26:34 PM »

Wait... Maybe we could possibly make Grappling hooks Cheesy To sneak attack a fortress or something Cheesy.
Ragor005

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2011, 01:33:05 AM »

YES!!!! IT WAS VERY NICE!!!!
randomprofile
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011, 02:00:43 AM »

Not meaning to be a grammer nazi or anything but... "It was a great idea"? can you please explain cause I'm kinda confused.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: