Mythruna
March 29, 2024, 05:04:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Happy Birthday Mythruna !  (Read 17961 times)
Trecool
Donators

I love drums, I love Guitar, I love Mythruna

View Profile WWW
« on: January 31, 2012, 02:52:08 PM »

Hi all,

Paul Speed have created Mythruna 1 year ago ! Happy birthday Mythruna !!!
Back to the beginning :

January 2011 : Birth of Mythruna, first lines scripted by Paul Speed (everytime by Paul Cheesy )

February 2011 : First generation, World database, first mineral vein, black marble, camera movement, water for mac, bug fixed !!

March 2011 : Village, Castle, Dungeon and the temple of object creation !!, Clip range, Clouds, Grass, More block type ! Blue print precreated !

April 2011 : Networking, menus, console, server !, HUD, Chat .. etc !!

May 2011 : ambient sound, sound effect, options screen, password fixed

June 2011 : Blueprint editor !! Object menu

July 2011 : Leaf, tree, treegenerator, white marble,

August 2011 : server support, admin tool, flame, wooden block

September 2011 : Property system, badges, water repair

October 2011 : Badges tools, property adjustments, server saves, time control, script dialog system, pine

November 2011 : Flower, bug fixed more and more, caves !! Gorges !!

December 2011 : Physic ! Solid object ! bug fixed etc !!

Thank you Paul ! and good luck for the future !

Sorry, I have forgotten many things but it's very difficult to choose popular add.
Many bug fixed, many ideas, I'm excited to see the future of Mythruna !

Bye all !!

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 04:16:33 PM »

Thanks! Smiley

It is weird to think of how much time has gone by and all of the nice people that I've met because of the game.  Here's to another great year!
BenKenobiWan
Friendly Moderator
Donators

Jesus loves you!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 05:32:46 PM »

Happy birthday!
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 06:54:26 PM »

In case anyone is interested, I hunted down some of my original screen shots from those first two weeks.

First is a picture of the editor I used to design my fractals for terrain generation.  I wrote this editor in 2006 or so.  I might provide a link to this application as a sort of bonus for people who donate... though it's not 100% user friendly unless you understand what all of those fields mean.  Still, it makes some wild stuff.

This was one of the first screen shots I showed my wife.  On the public server, someone built a giant hour glass on this island so I took the one in the distance for one of my little houses.

I was playing around with non-cubes even before I had real lighting working.  You can see the ideas that become the inn start to form here.

Here we see some of the tests I used to get lighting working right:

and a more complicated example:

Really, I spent a lot of time just goofing around building even before changes were saved.  I must have created these and similar buildings about a hundred times when testing.  There aren't sloped blocks yet at this point.

Another interesting thing about the above shot is that the borders between the terrain tiles are all marked and I programatically carved out a big chunk of the world for testing building.  A big box-canyon of sorts right around where we spawn in.

A better shot of that type of building at sunset:

Still not able to save yet, I played with creating a few sailing ships.  This was my dream from a very early time as I have always been fascinated with tall ships.

A bigger ship.  This one even has two lower decks and portholes for cannons.  One day I will remake this with more block types.  This was before the world was saved so I just took lots of screen shots to "remember" it.  Early Mythruna building was very Zen.

We finally had some sloped blocks so I rebuilt my little village.

And last, here is when I added the strata and mineral layers and things got a little overzealous.  When the first pass of the fractal runs, where grass is on the surface it extends dirt all the way to 0.  The strata and mineral layers are then added to this to turn the dirt to stone.  However, when the mineral layer popped up above the normal fractal terrain, everything (even the trees) was converted to stone.

Someday, maybe there will be some magic that does this to parts of the land... because it looks kind of neat.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 06:58:13 PM by pspeed » Logged
randomprofile
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 08:22:05 PM »

Those are some boss screenshots..., and about the map editor would it allow me to use those maps in the current version of mythruna or is it a bit "outdated"?
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 08:37:41 PM »

Those are some boss screenshots..., and about the map editor would it allow me to use those maps in the current version of mythruna or is it a bit "outdated"?

The formulas Mythruna uses to generate its world are layered and hard-coded.  They were absolutely generated by this app but it is currently not easy to replace them.  Maybe some day.
Trecool
Donators

I love drums, I love Guitar, I love Mythruna

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 04:18:15 AM »

Beautiful Smiley Thank for share ^^

Halflernation

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, 05:01:46 AM »

WOW! Happy Birthday to Mythruna!

Big Kudos to Paul for this amazing road that he has driven at the Speed of light Wink
It takes someone trully dedicated and, always, quality and competence. You've shown us all 3.

Best regards,
Marco
caesar
Forum's Janitor
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2012, 05:22:17 AM »

kewl a stone spell  Shocked
One year ago you started? Impressive work for one man programming a game and doing all the work like this forum, the hompage, releases & support and so on.

I wish you the best for your progress and am curious what to see next =)
scorch

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 05:57:21 AM »

The screenshots are awesome. The last one remembers the The Inheritance Cycle, because there is a stone forest there too. Cheesy
Toboi

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2012, 02:07:12 PM »

Happy Birthday Mythruna!
I just can say what already has been said:
Pretty nice work! I really can't wait for the final game to release. It is already so nice, but what is going to come are so much more nice things - Even while it is great yet, it will be much greater! Wink

And, one point to the map generating:
I think it would be nice, if the map's were a bit more... bigger. I don't mean the actual size of the map (it is unlimited, isn't it?), but the size of the structure of the landscape.
If the islands were bigger, then there could be more difference between different landscapes. The way it is, it is just all green landscape with some hills and trees everywhere.
But it would be more interesting (I think), if there were different types of landscape, so for example desert, wood, strand, mountains, meadows...

So the islands should be in my opinion more like continents. Or at least some of them, small islands are nice, too.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2012, 02:26:10 PM »

Yeah, that's coming.
xzardas

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2012, 10:20:44 PM »

happy birthday mythruna Cheesy

may you live on for years and years and years.

yeah right. Max 300; characters remaining: 254
FutureB
Donators

RAWR

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2012, 08:37:19 PM »

Great work paul keep it up :]

Say the opposite of these words:
1)Always.
2)Coming.
3)From.
4)Take.