Mythruna
April 24, 2024, 08:07:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Combat System Suggestion  (Read 7530 times)
miziziziz

View Profile
« on: February 27, 2012, 11:28:27 AM »

Hello, I am new here, I saw Mythruna and decided to try it out...yes, it's awesome.

Anyways, I was reading around on here and saw something about the planned combat system; something about scrolling through different styles? It was a little confusing. But I've always kind of wondered if there were any games with a more involving combat system, instead of the old Oblivion 'click,click,click, click and hold, let go' stuff, maybe Mythruna is that game.
So, please allow me to express my complete ignorance of coding and current ideas and whatever else is on here that I missed and make a suggestion for combat that I have been thinking about for a while:

Melee: instead of point 'n click, what if you could aim at something, and then roll the scroll wheel in to thrust, and then roll back to pull your sword/spear back? And then you hold LMB (left mouse button) and 'swing' the mouse across the screen to slash? and hold RMB and move your weapon to block an attack. (LMB is attacking, RMB is blocking basically) This seems much more involving than other systems, since you would have to control swings to avoid their blocking weapon/shield, otherwise you get knocked back and your weapon get's damaged, but a thrust would be much easier to get by their defenses, except you run the risk of getting your weapon stuck in them. It's just the other way around with blocking; with this blocking system you would be moving your weapon to the point the enemy is swinging at, thrusts would be difficult to block without a shield, seeing as you would have to knock it aside instead.

Archery: simpler than melee, maybe move the mouse back to pull an arrow out, scroll wheel in to pull back, click to let go.

Magic: much funner than any other current combat system IMO; you pick your magic type, I'll say fire for this example: A fire appears between your hands, you circle the mouse to create a bigger fireball (couldn't get too big, otherwise you'd set yourself on fire), if you throw at this stage, the ball (affected by gravity greatly) would land and splash liquid fire everywhere, not very damaging, but widespread. If you were to click and hold both mouse buttons while holding the fireball, you would compress the fire into a small 'pea', if you throw the pea, it explodes where you throw it (barely affected by gravity). But wait, if you circle the mouse again while holding the pea, you can create more fire around the pea, to make an explosion that leaves fire everywhere! and if you compress that, you get a bigger 'pea'(more explosive), and you can keep repeating until you have a soccer ball sized compressed fireball that could level a castle!

Of course, you would have to be greatly skilled at magic to get that far, as a lesser-skilled person would probably spill fire on themselves, or lose concentration and have the ball explode in their face. The screen would get redder as you create higher level spells, an indicator you are about to lose concentration/consciousness.

you could wield a staff or wand in one hand to help you cast stronger spells of specific elements, or to cast faster.

You would be able to do this with many elements, air being the weakest, a gust at an uncompressed stage, suitable to put out some candles maybe, or a solid blast that could punch a hole through someone at a compressed stage.
Another feature would be, instead of just throwing spells, you could set elements to your hands, e.g. one fire, one electricity. Then run up to a fully armored enemy and grab his sword with the electric hand, paralyzing him(possibly counteracted by wearing non-conductive materials), and then thrust the fiery hand in his face for a quick kill.

magic would be a lot more powerful, but MUCH slower, due to casting time, staying true to the original 'Glass-Cannon' theme of wizards. Of course, you could save some spells in wands, or 'one-use' items that instantly cast spells, the amount of power they could hold would depend on the quality of the item. These items would be available for use by non-mages too.

Congrats if you actually read the whole thing, tell me what you think/make fun of me/etc.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 11:34:34 AM »

I don't want to talk to much about the combat system yet because I'm still trying to decide if it works or not.

But yeah, dragging to swing your sword, etc. is what I'm trying to get to.  It's making that fun and fluid that will be the trick and I have pages and pages of notes on this subject and how interaction would work with different weapons and tools.

Wanting to be able to make it all work with whatever random odd creations the player comes up with for weapons has driven me to this style.

The feasibility side is why I chose to play with this in a separate combat prototype.  So that I could iterate faster on in ideas and control schemes until I settled on something that was as flexible as I wanted while also being somewhat accessible.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 11:39:42 AM »

re: magic.  Magic will be about manipulating energy fields.  Different stances and gestures would definitely shape the fields in different ways.  To go more into this would require my to say too much about combat gestures, stances, etc.

I will say right now, though, that to level a castle you would either have to store a ton of energy into batteries and even then the energy drain of your own life force might kill you.  For a spell powerful enough to level a castle you would need multiple casters combining their energy most likely.
SheepKing
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 11:44:26 AM »

maybe when wielding a sword u can right click to go in combat stance and when u drag ur mouse to left from right, the sword actually do it, just release right click to move
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 11:52:09 AM »

This conversation makes me uncomfortable because I walk a fine line between promising things I may not be able to make work and spilling 9 pages of notes into the forum. Smiley Smiley Smiley

Currently: left drag swings your sword, right drag aims a thrust.  Sort of.

re: "in combat", if you don't want to fight things then don't click/swing your sword at them. Smiley
miziziziz

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 12:09:15 PM »

thanks for the replies
You've definitely thought about this more than I have, and I'm glad someone is finally doing these kinds of things.
I look forward to how this game will turn out.
BenKenobiWan
Friendly Moderator
Donators

Jesus loves you!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 01:43:52 PM »

@miziziziz: Some of the stuff you mentioned is rather like Mount & Blade. In that game, LMB + drag left = pull your sword to the left. then releasing LMB swung the sword. It's the best melee system I've played with, but it did have its downsides.
Moonkey

This is probably a picture.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 09:11:03 AM »

@miziziziz: Some of the stuff you mentioned is rather like Mount & Blade. In that game, LMB + drag left = pull your sword to the left. then releasing LMB swung the sword. It's the best melee system I've played with, but it did have its downsides.

I LOVE Mount&Blade. My most favorite RPG game  Grin

Mythruna: Don't you dare read any posts I made before 2014.
Liam

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2012, 02:32:51 PM »

As soon as I started to read about the melee combat system, the first thing that popped into my mind was; Mount and Blade.

But yeah, I really like the idea, glad you shared it with us.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: