Mythruna
March 28, 2024, 04:29:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  
Author Topic: Euclideon  (Read 39365 times)
Moonkey

This is probably a picture.

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2012, 08:43:42 PM »

We have WMD's, and we call them nukes. And we may well be about to destroy each other. However, laser defense systems might fix the problem.

Yea, laser-pinpointing nukes while in their flight could stop destroying a country, but radiation in the air would be bad.

Mythruna: Don't you dare read any posts I made before 2014.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2012, 09:36:10 PM »

When we go off topic, we go all over the place. Smiley

I don't know how much radioactive material is in a thermonuclear warhead... probably still best not to scatter it across the atmosphere, I guess but I suspect we get more environmental exposure from weapons testing.

Really, I'm more worried about the crazy-guy with a suitcase bomb and a death wish than I am about a warhead.  I live close enough to a prime target that I'm likely to be a shadow on the wall in only seconds from a warhead... but the aftermath and fall-out from a ground-level nuke would be rather unpleasant.
randomprofile
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2012, 10:37:11 PM »

wouldn't it be possible, in theory to disable the nuke midair. Shoot it in the perfect places to disarm it? or do nukes go Boom from impact?
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2012, 10:54:39 PM »

wouldn't it be possible, in theory to disable the nuke midair. Shoot it in the perfect places to disarm it? or do nukes go Boom from impact?

Nukes do not go boom from impact.  They require a carefully orchestrated series of things to happen.

But they do have some amount of raw nuclear material (plutonium,uranium, etc.)... and that's the part that we probably don't want scattered in the atmosphere.
randomprofile
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2012, 12:14:04 AM »

Sooo, dudes in truck arrive... rearm, and put a nice return to sender sticker on it
Moonkey

This is probably a picture.

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2012, 06:56:27 AM »

My dad worked on bombs. Gyro bombs. These bombs had heads that spun around. and it was laser guided. (It falls out of a plane and the front of it spins around towards the laser and the jet propeller in the back thrusts it at the area it's pointing) He was in the army. Although I've never seen him in the army since I was born. He has alot of stories. He was flown to Germany... He went everywhere. He even accidentally drove a tank underwater (I think it was just an Armored Vehicle) but It still worked underwater... Never knew tanks could do that.

Mythruna: Don't you dare read any posts I made before 2014.
BenKenobiWan
Friendly Moderator
Donators

Jesus loves you!

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2012, 07:30:21 AM »

We have WMD's, and we call them nukes. And we may well be about to destroy each other. However, laser defense systems might fix the problem.

Yea, laser-pinpointing nukes while in their flight could stop destroying a country, but radiation in the air would be bad.

I'm pretty sure they have something better than laser-pointer guidance-systems.
I was meaning lasers to shoot nukes down. We almost have the technology to put a laser in a Boeing 747 that can shoot down a nuke from a couple km away.
The fallout could still be bad, nukes work by blasting a few hunks of uranium (or whatever) at each other to gain critical mass. If you sliced the nuke right, you could separate them, and they would stay in two pieces.

My dad worked on bombs. Gyro bombs. These bombs had heads that spun around. and it was laser guided. (It falls out of a plane and the front of it spins around towards the laser and the jet propeller in the back thrusts it at the area it's pointing) He was in the army. Although I've never seen him in the army since I was born. He has alot of stories. He was flown to Germany... He went everywhere. He even accidentally drove a tank underwater (I think it was just an Armored Vehicle) but It still worked underwater... Never knew tanks could do that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tank#Mobility
steric
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 03, 2012, 07:46:37 AM »

There is more than two options (full out scam or completely real)... There is grey area in between. The truth is somewhere in the grey area imho.

I think its probably like communism - it looks great on paper but falls to shit when you try to use it in reality.

Just my two cents.
randomprofile
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: April 03, 2012, 12:36:21 PM »

THEREFOR... no fallout... only some uranium that the army cleans up. DUR HUR
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 03, 2012, 01:00:57 PM »

THEREFOR... no fallout... only some uranium that the army cleans up. DUR HUR

Except it's probably been blown to dust and scattered to the winds.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  

Jump to: