Mythruna
March 28, 2024, 07:05:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Life Issues  (Read 37183 times)
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« on: March 10, 2012, 12:10:21 AM »

In general, I try not to share too much personal information... mostly because I don't want to over-share.  Mostly because it never comes up or isn't relevant.

These days that's a little different.  It may affect how responsive I am on the forums, chats, etc. for the next week or more and so I thought it important to fill people in on what's been happening.  Feel free to skip if your "too much information" alarms are now going off.

For most of my wife's life, she has had epilepsy caused by a slow-growing tumor in her brain.  We had this tumor surgically removed 7 years ago and since then her epilepsy has been controlled with medication.  A couple months ago she began to have seizures again and partially lose movement in her right side.  An MRI revealed that the tumor has grown back and is much more aggressive.

On Sunday March 11th, we are packing up the family and heading down to North Carolina where one of the top brain centers is located.  The surgery is scheduled for Thursday but we don't yet know how much of the tumor they will get to remove.  Everything is sort of all up in the air at this point.  After that, she will start radiation and chemo-therapy, the degree of which will be based on exactly what kind of tumor they find.

So, obviously, this is where most of my focus has been lately.

How this affects Mythruna:

-I will be away from the "nerve center" starting Sunday for at least a week.. probably closer to 10 days.  I will have remote access into my network but I won't be sitting right next to the public server like I usually am.  Mythruna.com will continue to function normally as that is hosted elsewhere... donations will still be accepted and so on.  But regarding the public game server, if my internet connection goes south for some reason, I will not be here to trouble-shoot it.  If the power goes down at my house for longer than 30 minutes, I will not be here to bring the systems back up.  This sort of thing rarely happens but I thought I'd point it out anyway.  Fate has a way of making these things break when I'm not here to fix them.

-Development may slow down for a while and will certainly be on hold next week.  My family and I 100% believe in the development of Mythruna and barring the various worst-case scenarios, development will continue.  It just may be hobbled for a while.  This may end up being directly related to how much additional income I can derive from Mythruna.

-For some period of time, I might not be as "available" as I usually am.  Normally, I'm sitting at my computer an average of 16 hours a day... this makes me pretty responsive to questions, issues, etc..  One of the consequences of what is going is that my wife can no longer drive... and even in the best case scenario this will be true for at least six months.  As such, I will have to venture out into the "big blue room" more often to shuttle the kids around to various activities, take my wife where she needs to go, etc..  This means I'm not sitting at a keyboard.

-Hopefully, we see more concept art.  One of the side-effects of taking my kids to various activities is that I'm left computerless for long spans of time where it is also very convenient to bring my sketch book to keep occupied.

-A slight shift in focus that started a month ago already.  This is one of the reasons I've been focusing so hard on the modding support lately.  And that will continue.  It was always the plan to support modding right from the beginning and give the community useful APIs and hooks as early as possible.  By focusing on it sooner, my hope is that the game might keep some momentum even if I have to slow development down for periods of time. 

Thanks for reading this far.  These issues have been affecting my focus enough that I felt the need to let everyone know why I might not be my normal bouncy-cheery-helpful self.  Also, you will now know why I'm away more next week.

And a big thank you to all that make this such a fun community to be a part of.  It is comforting to think of all of the people that get enjoyment from the game.

-Paul

FutureB
Donators

RAWR

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 12:19:35 AM »

good luck for the surgery hope everything goes ok :]

Say the opposite of these words:
1)Always.
2)Coming.
3)From.
4)Take.
5)Me.
6)Down.
gametoker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 01:34:41 AM »

My thoughts and prayers are with you guys Paul, I hope she gets better soon.
Azelrym

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 03:37:40 AM »

Hi Paul,

your family is THE priority. We all know that you're doing your best for Mythruna, and even if the development take more time to finish, we'll wait this awesome project as long as necessary.
I send to your wife all my best wishes for recovery, and never forget Paul, the whole community of Mythruna supports you.

MadJack

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 04:25:24 AM »

Best wishes to your wife. Keep positive.
randomprofile
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 06:02:26 AM »

Best of wishes to your wife and you... I hope everything turns out great Smiley
Trecool
Donators

I love drums, I love Guitar, I love Mythruna

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 06:35:42 AM »

I have already said few weeks ago. Take your time.. And good luck in this hard period.

BenKenobiWan
Friendly Moderator
Donators

Jesus loves you!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2012, 09:52:10 AM »

I'll be praying for you. Don't let Mythruna keep you from your family. Smiley
caesar
Forum's Janitor
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2012, 02:55:58 PM »

... horrible news, best wishes for your family, especially to have the strength to get through that hard time.
The recovery of your wife is the 1st priority! We will hold the line here!
Moonkey

This is probably a picture.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2012, 08:42:11 PM »

Good-luck, best of luck from me. But one thing, radiation therapy reduces your life-span, it's best to do something different than that.

Mythruna: Don't you dare read any posts I made before 2014.
Liam

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2012, 09:19:29 PM »

Good luck pal, we're all here for ya;)
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2012, 07:16:58 AM »

Thanks for all of the kind words and support, everyone.

Latest update: due to a scheduling mistake, we are basically here the wrong week.  So tomorrow we will be packing the family up and heading back to the homestead to repeat this all again next week. :-/
SheepKing
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2012, 01:40:09 PM »

Good luck paul!
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2012, 01:55:06 PM »

So, as of last night, I'm temporarily back in the sanctity of Mythruna-central, warm computers humming serenely all around me.  (Yes, I have a lot of PCs. Smiley)

We drive back down on Sunday and then I will be remote again.  In the mean time, I'm back to my usual responsive self for the next three days or so.

On the down side, the massive disruption in my day-job plans means that I'm up to my eyeballs in "OMG WE'RE LATE" style coding.  On the up side, by the time I hit North Carolina again next week I will have no hard-core work responsibilities and will use whatever computer time I get to work on Mythruna.  This week is a total bust, though.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2012, 11:24:33 AM »

Going to be AFK for about 6 hours while I travel south.

See you guys later.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: